: Renting engine mount?

bigds01
05-05-10, 01:49 PM
I need to get the engine mount tool to pull the tranny next week. Anybody know if autozone or their ilk rent them?

tateos
05-05-10, 09:14 PM
What is it - never heard of an engine mount tool?

cl1986
05-05-10, 09:23 PM
i think he means the setup to hold the engine while lowering the tranny...

dont think you can rent that, it comes with an overhead hoist......meanwhile the car is on another hoist

tateos
05-05-10, 10:02 PM
Oh - thanks - that's easy - just drop the whole cradle!

bigds01
05-06-10, 12:28 PM
So i have an overhead hoist. Is the mount something I can build myself?

Submariner409
05-06-10, 01:57 PM
It's not a mount: you raise the entire car and then lower the entire drivetrain down and out of the body using a pallet jack or similar.

OR - get a handful of proper sized/length allthread, some nuts and washers, raise the car and one at a time replace the drivetrain mounting bolts with allthread and nuts/washers. Now disconnect any necessary hoses, lines, electrical harness, brake, and suspension interference and use the nuts to sequentially lower and then tilt the drivetrain cradle.

Pete315
05-06-10, 02:06 PM
maybe you could do what I did years ago when I did a clutch job on my 92 SHO years ago- make a support that leans on the inner fender wells and supports and engine. then disconnect engine from tranny and drop subframe and tranny together as a unit. will save you the headache of disconnecting all the sensors,A/C lines, exhaust. you will need that tool that holds flywheel though.

Ranger
05-06-10, 03:38 PM
I've seen one of those here I think. They are commercially available. Google "Engine Hangar".

arctic_man
05-06-10, 07:13 PM
It's not a mount: you raise the entire car and then lower the entire drivetrain down and out of the body using a pallet jack or similar.

OR - get a handful of proper sized/length allthread, some nuts and washers, raise the car and one at a time replace the drivetrain mounting bolts with allthread and nuts/washers. Now disconnect any necessary hoses, lines, electrical harness, brake, and suspension interference and use the nuts to sequentially lower and then tilt the drivetrain cradle.

There was a guide on here somewhere that used that method. Raise the car with one jack, disconnect the mounts, and lower the the drivetrain. You can possibly do it with 2 jacks, but I have never done it so I cannot speak from experience. But to be honest, engine mounts go very often. Mine are bad as well, but I have the dog bones on the top of the engine so it isn't of much concern to me, besides the squeek when driving at low speeds.

ewill3rd
05-06-10, 08:42 PM
He's talking about something like this:
http://arrc.epnet.com/autoapp/9114/chiltonimages/8795/87957115L.gif

I used to use it all the time to leave the engine in and lower it down to remove the trans.
You can get a table with the vehicle on a hoist and lower the powertrain out to do something similar.
We actually still use the support for some jobs, it is easier.

Not sure where you could find or rent one.

zonie77
05-08-10, 06:19 PM
Harbor Freight has an engine support that spans the engine compartment and can hold the engine up from the top. I think the are about $50.

You don't need it though.

bigds01
05-09-10, 06:30 PM
Is there a do it yourself engine mount that you can build?

zonie77
05-10-10, 12:19 AM
Is there a do it yourself engine mount that you can build?

It's a long bar with some sliding standoffs that spans the engine bay. The standoffs sit on the inner fender edge. Look at the HF website. A pic is worth 100,000,000 words! ( You can quote me on that! :bouncy:)

bigds01
05-11-10, 09:19 AM
Hate to ask a silly question, but which Harbor Freight.

cl1986
05-11-10, 10:38 AM
theres only one http://www.harborfreight.com/