Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dingoman 
#1 ·
I am new to working on these old big blocks. haha well i'm pretty new to working on all cars. this is my first project car and i can't quite get it to run correctly.

it startes then dies right away if i don't give it gas. after i do this for around 5 minutes or so, it will run... but slugishly. i have some idea as to what is wrong with it but i don't know for sure.

i have replaced the radiator, plugs, cables, distributor rotor;cap. did a tranny flush, oil and all fluids.

so if anyone has an idea as to why this car is not running correctly please contact me by AIM or just post.

thank you,

#2 ·
I'd be looking carefully for vacuum leaks. It doesn't sound like the choke is working properly either. It's tough to say from your description, but it sounds fuel related. Fuel filter changed? If it sat around the carb could be getting crummy. Once it stays running, cover the top of the carb with your hands. If it smoothes out or picks up RPMs it's running lean, likely due to one of the above conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.