: Installed Volant

corvette00
05-05-10, 09:09 AM
I installed the Volant intake on my 10 Escalade last night. I must say I was a bit disappointed in the instructions as they seemed to apply more towards a pick up truck. Also, the mold on the plastic tube looked cheap. Also, I really did not like how the air hose attached. The sound is definately deeper and I am interested to see if there is any differance in fuel economy. The performance seems about the same.

hcvone
05-05-10, 10:14 AM
E-mail this guy and tell him about the poor air tube, I agree with you 100% my last two Volants are not a good as my first 5, I e-mailed Volant yesterday and told them I was not pleased. It will help if they hear it from more people. The angle of the air tube is off slightly to the air box, now the flex coupling makes up for that, but it's still off, also two of the screws for the lid are basically covered by the lip of the fender and makes installing the top harder than it has to be. It will take 50 to 100 miles for the computer to adjust, that is when I started feeling the difference.

daniel@volant.com

Merc
05-05-10, 03:47 PM
Has anyone tried the GM Perfomace Air Intake? Is it better than the Volant Air Intake?

hcvone
05-05-10, 03:59 PM
Has anyone tried the GM Perfomace Air Intake? Is it better than the Volant Air Intake?

I had one on one of my 07's, didn't like it as much as Volant so I sold it to a member here. I think the stock air cleaner with a drop in high flow non oil air filter maybe the best bet, we have a two wheel drive Escalade setup for the dyno Friday to test the stock, K&N, Volant and trying for one or two more, see what the truth is

corvette00
05-05-10, 04:04 PM
I wanted the GM intake, but they did not list one for a 10. Did you have to remove the flap behind the headlight and the plate underneath the factory box to install? Also, the sensor did not fit very well and I do not like the way the air hose hangs. The two screws under the fender were tricky. I will give it a couple of days, but intend on sending an email.

silverws6ta
05-05-10, 05:55 PM
I had one on one of my 07's, didn't like it as much as Volant so I sold it to a member here. I think the stock air cleaner with a drop in high flow non oil air filter maybe the best bet, we have a two wheel drive Escalade setup for the dyno Friday to test the stock, K&N, Volant and trying for one or two more, see what the truth is

I've been very pleased with the one on my truck. Fit, finish, quality, even down to the nylong washers for the airbox lid and the foam gasket that is between the fender and airbox. I wasn't looking for huge performance gain, just better flowing to correlate with the exhaust and any improvement in MPG.

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk366/silverws6ta/IMG00860-20090813-1616.jpg

hcvone
05-05-10, 06:01 PM
I've been very pleased with the one on my truck. Fit, finish, quality, even down to the nylong washers for the airbox lid and the foam gasket that is between the fender and airbox. I wasn't looking for huge performance gain, just better flowing to correlate with the exhaust and any improvement in MPG.

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk366/silverws6ta/IMG00860-20090813-1616.jpg

That looks different than the GM one I had in early 07', much drone?

hcvone
05-05-10, 06:04 PM
I wanted the GM intake, but they did not list one for a 10. Did you have to remove the flap behind the headlight and the plate underneath the factory box to install? Also, the sensor did not fit very well and I do not like the way the air hose hangs. The two screws under the fender were tricky. I will give it a couple of days, but intend on sending an email.

I did not like the sensor fit either, for 10' it's that new cartridge design, what I did was exoxy and sand the area for a better fit on the tube, and used two nuts as height spacers and then the fit was perfect, not an operation I had planned on

silverws6ta
05-05-10, 06:35 PM
That looks different than the GM one I had in early 07', much drone?

Nope -- You hear it under moderate/+ acceleration but thats the only time -- flows very well IMHO with a non-oiled filter.

Aesthetics I give it an A+ as well.. Its P/N 17800809 and i paid right at $300 for it.

corvette00
05-05-10, 10:26 PM
hcvone,

Please let me know your test results, I may attempt to send the Volant back. I have a concern that the air tube does not feel like it is tightly attached to the engine.

hcvone
05-06-10, 07:03 AM
hcvone,

Please let me know your test results, I may attempt to send the Volant back. I have a concern that the air tube does not feel like it is tightly attached to the engine.

I agree with you on the tube fit to the engine, I sanded the hell out of the seams to get it round to get a good fit, but there again why should I have to do that, but I know when I first put it on and tighten it up it was a bad fit, after reworking it you can not move it when tightened. I looked at the air tube on a old Volant I have from my first 07', and it is 1000000% better in looks and finish than my new one, taking some pics an sending them to Volant today or tomorrow. There seems to be a quality issue that is not acceptable to me

corvette00
05-06-10, 07:57 AM
I did sent Daniel an email last night, we will see if I get a response. The photo's of the GM intake sure looks a lot cleaner. I will be interested in your dyno results.

hcvone
05-06-10, 08:02 AM
I did sent Daniel an email last night, we will see if I get a response. The photo's of the GM intake sure looks a lot cleaner. I will be interested in your dyno results.

That intake from GM only list to 2008 from what I saw, guess they did not change for the new MAF cartridge, would have liked to get one to test on the dyno

corvette00
05-06-10, 04:44 PM
hcvone,

Volant is telling me I should have got a replacemnt o-ring for the MAF. They said the factory one makes it sit too high. The Volant ring is black, did you get one?

K9Caddy
05-06-10, 05:12 PM
I did not receive a replacement O-ring with mine. I received different screws, that's it. Hmmm...

hcvone
05-07-10, 06:31 AM
No I did not get a new o ring, I think the instructions said it was in there, but there was no o ring supplied. Pretty strange that none of us got o rings. :(

zx6racer
05-07-10, 08:09 AM
Im Just Gonna Reuse The Volant From My 07 When My New Truck Comes.

hcvone
05-07-10, 11:32 AM
Im Just Gonna Reuse The Volant From My 07 When My New Truck Comes.

You can not, different MAF sensor setup in the new trucks, they now use a smaller cartridge type MAF making the older (better) style not usable. :(

hcvone
05-10-10, 01:45 PM
You can not, different MAF sensor setup in the new trucks, they now use a smaller cartridge type MAF making the older (better) style not usable. :(

E-mail Daniel and he will send you the o ring
daniel@volant.com

racingdc9
07-06-10, 03:31 PM
Has anyone tried the K&N system? Will installing any of these systems(volant, GM, K&N) void the warranty? I have an 07' thinking about getting aftermarket intake. No money for exhaust right now. Will intake only make a difference?

hcvone
07-07-10, 07:34 AM
I may have a K&N in my garage, it works well but there is a drone noise for sure with the K&N, I have had several of them, I will be home around the 17th and let you know. The intake will make some improvement by itself

Gigantor
07-07-10, 08:03 AM
The GM intake mentioned seems to be for a 5.3L instead of the 6.2L
as indicated in the description??

Dobiesdaddy
08-13-10, 08:53 AM
I tend to stay away from from the oiled air filters. There is always a chance of over oiling when you clean it and fouling the MAF sensor. I put in the AMSOIL "Ea" air filter in and it seems to work better. Most of those box or cone devices make more noise than HP gains. I put the AMSOIL in for "piece of mind" and better filtering of debris.

C66 Racing
08-15-10, 08:54 AM
I tend to stay away from from the oiled air filters. There is always a chance of over oiling when you clean it and fouling the MAF sensor. I put in the AMSOIL "Ea" air filter in and it seems to work better. Most of those box or cone devices make more noise than HP gains. I put the AMSOIL in for "piece of mind" and better filtering of debris.

I'd appreciate knowing what AMSOIL EA Air Induction Air Filter (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/EAAUPB.htm) part number you used. And, as an FYI for those considering the same route, please drop me a PM so I can ensure you get wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Preferredcustomer.htm).
:cheers:

K9Caddy
09-19-10, 11:27 AM
Carl, any outcome on your dyno runs? Curious which one worked the best? I'm disappointed in the fit/finish of my Volant. POS for $350. Company seems like a huge ripoff...

hcvone
09-20-10, 07:09 AM
E-mail them and they will send you the "O" ring, they sent me mine. :)

K9Caddy
09-20-10, 08:26 AM
Carl, I was meaning as to which CAI works the best. Earlier in this thread, you stated you were gonna Dyno and find out which one worked the best. Curious if came to an outcome, thanks for any insight...