: Drag competition coming up, risk that diff?

dowlatij
05-05-10, 12:34 AM
So high school drags is coming up on the 30th and my car is coming along to getting put back together. I have seriously been contemplating on going to high school drags when it comes home, yeah yeah you guys hate youngins owning a V, sry. I'm not sure what gen diff I have I am pretty sure it is a second gen seeing how it is an 06. I am still under bumper to bumper warranty until July, I think so I figure make the most of it, if I do break it you guys think they will replace it? :thumbsup:

Vroom-Vroom!
05-05-10, 01:15 AM
lol i'm in same situation but without the warranty.... and high school drags is in 3 days. prob won't risk it..

rand49er
05-05-10, 08:48 AM
Put a set of axles in (if you have time). Much less worry about your diff.

Or, you could just drive up in your Caddy as is looking suave and sophisticated and sweep all the best ladies you went to HS with off their feet. :highfive:

onebadcad
05-05-10, 10:08 AM
if I do break it you guys think they will replace it? :thumbsup:

Varies based on dealership, you being young puts you at disadvantage, as they will assume you thrashed on it. If it does not grenade you may have a shot, if it does they do not have to ask you what happened.
You only live once, go to the strip and hope for the best.

whisler151
05-05-10, 11:07 AM
We have yet to see a 2006-2007 CTS-V blow the rear. So if you did it would be a first.

I say through on some axles and have fun. Don't expect to have good times though.

toberting22
05-05-10, 11:19 AM
I have an '06 and I threw some pretty hard launches at it when I first got the car, before I was a member here and even knew about the weak diff issues. My car is still moving along nicely with 38k. If your car is stock, I'd think the '06 diff will hold on.
The drag strip just isn't where this 4,000 lbs car shines so +1 on rand49er's suggestion on swooping the girls while the other guys are distracted! lol

dowlatij
05-05-10, 12:49 PM
Haha unless I destroy my diff and then I got nothing! :eek:
I think I will go for it if my V comes home in time! I can't wait for her to be finished up already still waiting on a couple more parts that were back ordered!

This is my first time at the Strip so any recommendations on what to do before I go out there? I am thinking of replacing diff fluid and stuff and just making sure is up to date maybe an oil change? :bouncy:

KaMaSuTrA
05-05-10, 01:08 PM
Slip it off the line and you should make it to the end of the track. Don't try to launch it past 3k or you will be in wheel hop heaven.

liqidvenom
05-05-10, 01:28 PM
go and have a fun time.

onebadcad
05-05-10, 02:29 PM
Haha unless I destroy my diff and then I got nothing! :eek:
I think I will go for it if my V comes home in time! I can't wait for her to be finished up already still waiting on a couple more parts that were back ordered!

This is my first time at the Strip so any recommendations on what to do before I go out there? I am thinking of replacing diff fluid and stuff and just making sure is up to date maybe an oil change? :bouncy:

Okay, here's the list:

1) Make sure AAA Membership is up-to-date, or you have buddy with a tow rope
2) Remove spare tire and rear seat, you want to be a baller, right?
3) Run at least 93 octane
4) Front tires at 36psi, rears as low as 20psi
5) Shut off a/c, choose less controls (TC, StabiliTrac) based on your skills
6) Bring a helmet, make sure it is DOT approved
7) Do not drop clutch, ease out at 2,000 rpms, if good with that bump it another 500 rpms on next run(s), okay to lift if she starts hopping
8) If you run a shiatty time and hot chicks are near return lanes, immediately jump out of car and pop hood and pretend to be fixing something, and then say aloud "I can't wait until my Lambo gets out of the shop"
9) Try to line up against a loser, something like Ted just bought, so you know you will win
10) There's always ten, but I am at a loss, so just be safe and try to bring her home in one piece, good luck young Skywalker

dowlatij
05-05-10, 10:24 PM
Right-o sir! Hopefully I won't need to have any problems and have to use the first step! Now all that I can do is wait until the car gets fixed up hopefully soon I am getting tired of the beater car! :D

biiz1957
05-05-10, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=dowlatij;2234580]So high school drags is coming up on the 30th and my car is coming along to getting put back together. I have seriously been contemplating on going to high school drags when it comes home, yeah yeah you guys hate youngins owning a V, sry. I'm not sure what gen diff I have I am pretty sure it is a second gen seeing how it is an 06. I am still under bumper to bumper warranty until July, I think so I figure make the most of it, if I do break it you guys think they will replace it? :thumbsup:[/QUOte

Just ran about 12 passes last weekend and 12 last year in additions to road racing ... still solid

Gus_Mahn
05-06-10, 12:17 AM
I doubt you'll have any issues, but if you do, don't have GM tow it from the track. I don't think the rears are as weak as they're made out to be. Drive around the water, air the rear tires down, ride the clutch a little to get it out of the hole. Practice some starts before you go. The V juice clutch is pretty abrupt making easy to shock/spin the tires.

lollygagger8
05-06-10, 09:14 AM
9) Try to line up against a loser, something like Ted just bought, so you know you will win

:histeric:

I do agree with Randy though.....pimp that caddy, don't blow it up. Make those high school girls that are now all fat jealous

PISNUOFF
05-06-10, 10:13 AM
I beat the bejesus out of my car. I launch it, boil the tires, drive through wheel hop, take it to road coarses several times per year and take it to the drag strip a couple times per year. My differential has even outlasted an axle that I twisted off inside the diff. I may have the next gen diff after yours, but you should still be fine for a few runs down the 1/4 mile.

liqidvenom
05-06-10, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=dowlatij;2234580]So high school drags is coming up on the 30th and my car is coming along to getting put back together. I have seriously been contemplating on going to high school drags when it comes home, yeah yeah you guys hate youngins owning a V, sry. I'm not sure what gen diff I have I am pretty sure it is a second gen seeing how it is an 06. I am still under bumper to bumper warranty until July, I think so I figure make the most of it, if I do break it you guys think they will replace it? :thumbsup:[/QUOte

Just ran about 12 passes last weekend and 12 last year in additions to road racing ... still solid

What type of times were you seeing?

DWF0551
05-06-10, 02:47 PM
My son and I went to the strip last October his first time. We Trailered a Model A Ford cpe running a '67 vette 427 motor and drove a 2005 CTS-V with a 2006 Rearend. I threw down the gauntlet and told him he could pick either car and I would beat him in the other. He laughed at me saying no way he would drive the V ‘cause it would break, he was confident the 80 year old Ford would be fine. After a rain delay we were the second pair of cars running, meaning fresh VHT on the track. I wind it up to about 3,000 RPM and drop the clutch on the last yellow. Big boom and the V rolls about 5 feet. Pushed it off the track put it on the trailer and towed it home. Son keeps racing does a best 12.4 @ 105MPH after I wouldn’t let him open the headers, drop air pressure or kick the timing up because the A needed to drive itself 100 miles back home. The V was out of warranty and I was talking to a Cadillac rep about another issue and she talked me into taking it to a dealer to look at the rear end and maybe there was something they would do for me. BTW I saw the driver’s side axel pushed out about 1 ½ “from the rear carrier. I talked to the GM dealer (not Cadillac) service manager and he said GM had been reimbursing for some out of warranty items. So I took the chance making it clear to him that I wanted a new rearend, the 2008 version, no matter what they found. The 2006 RR had a howl. They pulled it apart and found a broken axel. They replaced axel and carrier and Cadillac picked up the cost of the parts I paid the labor. So I say go for it but don’t drop the clutch at 3000. BTW my DR side axel is ¼” bigger around than the pass side. Is that normal for a 2005 or did they upgrade it?

liqidvenom
05-07-10, 01:23 PM
goot to know you are breaking the axles, recently its the axles going like on the gtos.

maybe the diff gets stronger over time. :hide:

onebadcad
05-07-10, 01:54 PM
DWF0551,
Please advise if the rear-end suffered any damage, or was it only the axle, thanks.

DWF0551
05-07-10, 02:36 PM
No the rear carrier didn't seem to be damaged, it was replaced due to previous howl and possibility of axel parts floating around in there.

biiz1957
05-10-10, 10:01 PM
What type of times were you seeing?

Best 13.30/13.001 adj with crappy 2.29 60ft on all season conti radials....putting on some Potenza RE-11's next week ...1.90 60's and mid 12's here I come:cool2:

Houdini
05-11-10, 07:21 AM
^ good luck with that lol

bpitas
05-11-10, 08:02 AM
I got 13.6 @ 109.9 with my '04. Not sure about the LS2, but the LS6 likes to be shifted right at redline with the stock flywheel (which is super heavy), so it'll sometimes spin the tires shifting to 4th because it carries so much momentum. So if you're banging the shifts, be careful if it steps sideways shifting into 2nd, 3rd and 4th! I can't remember what my launch RPM was, but listen to the people who say to slip the clutch - if you spin the wheels instead of slipping the clutch the wheel hop will shake your teeth right out of your head!

JimmyH
05-11-10, 12:12 PM
Put a set of axles in (if you have time). Much less worry about your diff.

the axles don't help at a drag strip that is prepped