: Northstar in VW Golf. Link Attached.

95Concours
08-25-04, 06:25 PM
Some tuning shop in Canada dropped a northstar v8 into a golf... Pretty crazy... Anyone else know of any other one-off oddballs like this?

http://www.cwstuning.com/gallery/coupe-degolf

foo
08-25-04, 06:35 PM
Only this.......

http://www.racingstrong.com/toystar/index.asp

marti4337
08-25-04, 08:44 PM
That is sick!!!! I wonder how much traction they get !! ( specially on those snow covered roads :-)

mcowden
08-25-04, 09:00 PM
That is thoroughly excellent! When do they get started on the Yugo? How about a motorcycle? Wanna drop one in my '94 Grand Voyager? :bouncy:

Bill Strong
08-26-04, 12:49 AM
My car is not an odd-ball! :)

Hotrodelectric
08-26-04, 12:55 AM
My car is not an odd-ball! :)

I absolutely agree. It's an odd duck. :p

customGTP
08-26-04, 01:08 AM
does mine fit in that catagory? lol
www.cardomain.com/id/94customgtp

JSMeloche
08-26-04, 10:08 AM
The N* looks like a pretty good fit in the Golf!!! Interesting ;) What a fast car that must be... But the handling must be a bit messed up compared to a regular Golf. I sure look like it needed a lot les fabrication then in Bill's Mr2!!!

Bill Strong
08-26-04, 12:31 PM
what hurt me was having to use the Caddy suspension since the MR2 suspension did not fit due to the placement of the transaxle.

Now from what I understand the Northstar assembly is only 60 or 80 pounds heavier than the VR6 that was in it. So the difference in handling would be not that big a deal. I talked to Cam when I first started my project last winter. He said it rode really nice but was like a rocket when the gas was pushed. It just spins tires all day long.

There is a good writeup on the car in this months Sport Compact Car Magazine

JSMeloche
08-26-04, 01:08 PM
Do you know how the computer problem was resolved? how about you Bill, what do you use to control the powertrain? (Engine and transaxle)

This might be a fun project LOL Get a 200$ Golf and try to find a junked STS. But maybee I should learn how to weld and figure out a bit of metal work first...

Stoneage_Caddy
08-26-04, 03:31 PM
bill , went thru the site , cant seem to stop playing the videos over and over .....Im still giggleing ......too damn cool

good to see some of us ex airforce guys still got it when it comes to cars

Bill Strong
08-26-04, 04:25 PM
I am Ammo all the way man! :)

I used a Electromotive TEC3 for the engine and a Powertrain Control Solutions computer for the gearbox. all are programmed with a laptop.
The tranny computer was the easiest. It was plug and play with the supplied harness.

illumina
08-26-04, 07:47 PM
I like the N* cars there. before my friend passed, we were going to convert an 90' nissan 240 sx and put a 327 chevy in it, the same engine he put in his chevelle SS. that would have been sa-weet.

chuckdobbins
08-27-04, 12:15 PM
ive also seen a site with a pontiac fiero with a N*
of course now i cant find the link anymore

Stoneage_Caddy
08-27-04, 12:30 PM
dont have my fiero stuff here ta work but i think this is guy guy your talking about

http://www.v8archie.com/

customGTP
08-27-04, 02:02 PM
yeah there are multiple fieros with that done.. and two with LS1's in em... check out Pennocks Fiero Forum if you want more info

the LS1 car must be crazy fast