: What towing MPG can I expect with a "light" trailer?

tpetty
05-03-10, 09:08 PM
I'm considering buying a 6x12 enclosed V-nose aluminum trailer to haul my motorcycle and family bicycles when we go on vacation. Total weight for trailer, motorcycle, etc will only be around 2200 pounds.

I've read on here people getting only 8 MPG towing -- but that usually seems like heavy trailers near the Escalade's capacity. Losing 4-5 MPG on a 2000 mile round trip is a lot of $ - and may not be worth it.

Has anyone pulled a lighter trailer like this, and what was the gas mileage difference? We have an 08 ESV. Thanks.

Tec80
05-04-10, 12:34 AM
I pulled a ~3000lb trailer from MI to IL and averaged 11-12 vs. 18-19 with no trailer. 2007 ESV AWD.

hcvone
05-04-10, 06:26 AM
It depends on where you are towing to or from, and some times that matter more than the weight you are pulling i.e. mountains vs. the shore. On flat roads pulling 2k lbs you should see a 2-3 mpg drop, we have pulled 8k lb snowmobile trailers thru feet of snow where we were not getting a mile per gallon, watching your starts and stops will help get the best mileage

LITTLEELVISDAN
05-04-10, 07:46 AM
I have a 14 foot enclosed V nose and get around 15 mpg pulling barely empty and 12 mpg loaded down

krieghoff
05-04-10, 08:01 AM
I have a 2008 ESV and pull a 2800# trailer to haul my shooting cart on.

Without the trailer I get 10.7mpg.

With the trailer I get 10.6mpg.

Go figure!

LITTLEELVISDAN
05-04-10, 10:04 AM
You need a tune up.. I have a 2009 AWD and get 19 hwy, 17 around town and 15 with trailer.

tpetty
05-04-10, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. Sounds kind of like some of the replies in other towing threads -- MPG seems to vary A LOT vehicle to vehicle even with relatively similar loads.

Ronin
05-04-10, 05:58 PM
I have an '07 ESV and using pretty much the identical trailer; a 7x14 aluminum V-nose (dual axle w/electric brakes) with two motorcycles @ approximately 700 pounds a piece, IF I drive like I have a bald eagle egg under the gas pedal I might squeak 10 MPG. Single digits are way too easy with hilly terrain, excessive speed or load, lots of starting and stopping, etc. If I towed more I'd definitely do a Duramax conversion; nothing beats diesel for serious towing...PERIOD!

MATCHN_TOYZ
05-06-10, 10:45 AM
I have an 07 EXT...26in rims and tow a trailer with a jetski and bike. So its not too heavy or really light and I average 12MPG. I thought the big rims would have something to do with it but when I drove to Cali from TX I threw on the factory 18s and I still got 12MPG:rant2:.... so go figure

It is what it is... I guess. Im sure I could squeez a few more MPGs out with a CAI, exhaust and a chip....just havent got around to doing it. I barely drive it now.

:thepan:

North49
05-06-10, 04:43 PM
When you guys tow do you use the Tow/haul mode?

I get over 20 mpg hwy with the GU6 (3.42) AWD. Will be towing the boat in the next few months and will have a better idea as to how brutal it can get.

My other thought would be to try the manual mode for towing. What weight trailer would call for using tow/haul mode. The boat is about 3000# but the utility trailer is only about 5 to 6 hundred #. Any thoughts?

LITTLEELVISDAN
05-06-10, 06:03 PM
When you guys tow do you use the Tow/haul mode?

I get over 20 mpg hwy with the GU6 (3.42) AWD. Will be towing the boat in the next few months and will have a better idea as to how brutal it can get.

My other thought would be to try the manual mode for towing. What weight trailer would call for using tow/haul mode. The boat is about 3000# but the utility trailer is only about 5 to 6 hundred #. Any thoughts?
My 14 foot V nose always gets towed in tow/haul mode.. I love the TQ converter lockup on shifts and how it holds the gears longer. The engine break feature scared the SH!T out of me the first time I used tow mode. I thought I blew the transmission or Diff all over 285. Now I am used to it but the first time WOW!

mdadgar
05-06-10, 06:38 PM
I get a solid 7.5 mpg towing a 22 V-nose trailer (just under 8000 lbs). That's at about 63mph with the cruise on.

I average 10.5 purely around town and 12.5 on my commute (mix of highway and city).

2007 ESV.

- Mark

MATCHN_TOYZ
05-06-10, 09:55 PM
My 14 foot V nose always gets towed in tow/haul mode.. I love the TQ converter lockup on shifts and how it holds the gears longer. The engine break feature scared the SH!T out of me the first time I used tow mode. I thought I blew the transmission or Diff all over 285. Now I am used to it but the first time WOW!

I like using the tow/haul mode for just that same reason... it holds the gears longer (which is nice in traffic also) plus it helps with slowing down since it down shifts and uses the engine....but yeah the first time I heard the engine brake kick in... i almost lost it:bonkers: thought I blew something out. That was b4 I had the transmission program updated... now its alot smoother and predictable. The original program was very hard and when slowing down it kicked in really high RPMs. Great feature to have and works well.

Sometimes I use it when im hauln ass and need help slowing it down...but :shhh: only once in a blue moon or just when I have to show a Tahoe/Yukon why a 6.2L is better. But now I have to watch out since some have the 6.2L :duck:

Oh yeah and last thing.... it still doesnt help me out with my MPG...so whateva :nono:

mdadgar
05-06-10, 11:17 PM
That was b4 I had the transmission program updated... now its alot smoother and predictable. The original program was very hard and when slowing down it kicked in really high RPMs.

There's an update for that? Awesome! That last kickdown is really terrible. MUCH worse than the Allison in my old 2500HD.

Oh yeah and last thing.... it still doesnt help me out with my MPG...so whateva :nono:

You're always going to get worse mileage in Tow/Haul since it keeps the truck in lower gears longer.

- Mark

North49
05-07-10, 11:19 PM
There's an update for that? Awesome! That last kickdown is really terrible. MUCH worse than the Allison in my old 2500HD.

You're always going to get worse mileage in Tow/Haul since it keeps the truck in lower gears longer.

- Mark

I'm taking mine in on Monday the 10th for a replacement hotpoint accessory cover. I don't like my shifts right now and will ask if they have an update for the transmission or if they will give me a rebuild.

This tow /haul mode may not be the best answer for slowing it down all the time. I've always found brakes to be less expensive to replace than transmissions.

MATCHN_TOYZ
05-08-10, 11:06 PM
Yeah I had read some where on here that there was an update for the transmission so I took it in and they updated it. The shift were smother and the tow/haul mode was better on the down shifts. The power felt like it went down a lil bit... like when I would floor it use to really kick in...but after the update it felt a lil sluggish. Im sure a chip would change that real quick.... but moving again (Thanks Army :banghead:) so ive got a few other things that are a bit more important going on so it will just have to wait.:ill: