: Battery leaking 'lectric in '04 CTS-V

Autom8r
05-03-10, 05:37 PM
I have had an intermittent problem with my '04 CTS-V battery running down if not driven for some time. The problem is now constant. I ran an ammeter between the negative battery post and the battery cable and pulled all the underhood fuses one at a time and the ammeter reading of 1.05 amps never changed. I didn't fool with the underseat fuse blocks also think my ammeter is inaccurate as the battery dropped from 12.6 volts yesterday evening to 9.6 volts this morning.... and a 1 amp drain would not leak that much 'lectric overnight. The battery is one month old and checks out good.

Does anyone have any idea of any common (or uncommon) problem that may be causing this?

I can also hear an occasional clunking static noise that may be coming from the sound system, even with the system turned off.

Dave

darkman
05-03-10, 08:15 PM
See the attached.

heavymetals
05-03-10, 08:24 PM
1 amp is not right.

The drain should be less then 100 ma and I would consider that high.

Autom8r
05-04-10, 10:22 AM
Darkman,

Does GM still consider this a warranty fix on a 6 year old V?

darkman
05-04-10, 10:59 AM
Darkman,

Does GM still consider this a warranty fix on a 6 year old V?

I do not know.

Autom8r
05-04-10, 11:14 AM
I guess I'll find out when I get back to Tennesssee. I have been disconnecting the negative battery cable when I leave the car unattended for any length of time. I'll try fooling with the overhead dimmer switch and see if I can remedy the problem.

Stepside
05-05-10, 10:08 AM
Hmmm, long shot here, but try disconnecting your alternator. Just trying to make sure it is not 'back feeding' by way of a shorted diode across the rectifier bridge. I'm also wondering about your relays. Are all your light bulbs and rheostats working correctly?

Autom8r
05-06-10, 03:38 PM
The TSB on the console drain looks like the ticket. I moved the slider switch to the brightest position and the battery stayed up all night plus several hours.

Thanks Darkman...

Stepside
05-06-10, 04:44 PM
Yup, the slider switch is a rheostat. The PDFs that Darkman have posted has helped many.

Autom8r
05-07-10, 09:52 AM
I knew I could get the answer here, I shoulda posted a couple of days earlier....

Dave