: anyone doing THIS with their N*?

customGTP
08-25-04, 04:47 PM
Is anyone running with no A/C condensor/pulley? I am looking to run my 98 motor with no A/C condensor.. I'm pretty sure the idler pulley will work the same direction and I'll just in theory need a shorter belt...
Anyone? Or have input
thanx

caddyshack24
08-25-04, 05:04 PM
I ran across some website where they were talking about it.. and using a larger crank pulley.. which slowed down all the other accesories. underpulley.
Which also slowed down the water pump and cooling system, said it gave them no trouble. id question the tolerance level of the GM engineers. I doubt this engine is at its peek potential, just enough to be reliable.

It could be done, for sure. my guess is maybe 18% HP increase?? random numbers heh

STS 310
08-25-04, 05:21 PM
Not worth it IMO. Dont mess with the cooling system and it wont mess with you down the road.

foo
08-25-04, 05:40 PM
water pump isn't run off the front accessory drive so you can do an underdrive pulley and have no problems with cooling. water pump is run off of the front cams drive

Hotrodelectric
08-25-04, 06:11 PM
CustomGTP, I'm sure you could run without the compressor. Would you consider making up some sort of mock-up pulley to take the place of the compressor? I would guess with all the fab work you're doing, that wouldn't be very difficult to do- basically gut a compressor, and cut away a large section of the case, leaving enough for a mount. The pulley just freewheels
until the clutch is on- or, in your case, just freewheels period. This would save you the PITA problem of sizing belts and 'what direction'. 'Course, though you could save yourself a lot of heartburn by asking Alan over at CHRF. :hmm:

sts96
08-25-04, 08:53 PM
Why not just turn the a/c comp off ?? sts96

zonie77
08-25-04, 10:00 PM
Someone did this awhile ago because their AC compressor locked up and they couldn't aford to fix it right away. If I remember right they said what length belt to use.

customGTP
08-25-04, 10:45 PM
well AJ is calling me back tomorrow in the morning... Been talking with him on a weekly basis. They have a water pump where the AC used to be that take the water log out of the rear. Im doing it a bit differently. Im getting an inline water pump so I can mount on the fender/frame or wherever I want to. I just nee to fab up some flanges and make my crossover out of tubing. NO EGR for me!!!! (www.cardomain.com/id/94customGTP)

anyways so im just looking to do an A/C delete. Anyone know what size belt to use?

JSMeloche
08-26-04, 11:04 AM
I think its 70 inch instead of 75, i saw this posted here and also on Caddyinfo.com forum. When i saw the price of a new compressor i also tought i would just replace the belt and forget it LOL

customGTP
08-26-04, 05:14 PM
yes its 70" on a 6 groove belt.. thanx guys