: Opinions Needed

Evan from MN
05-02-10, 11:51 PM
I am a single 27 year old dude. I just got an 07 White with 18" wheels. I plan to buy bigger wheels for the looks. My question is:

1) Which picture do you like better?

2) An alarming # of the girls (and let's be honest they're the only ones whose opinion really matters) who I have asked responded: "what's the difference?" or "that's the same truck" - Is that just because it's a photo? If they saw the trucks in person would they be able to tell the difference?

Thanks for your opinions. I'm paralyzed with over-analysis.

PS - One of the pics is of stock 22" 7 spokes, the other is aftermarket 26" 6 spokes.

mark v.
05-03-10, 12:34 AM
i actually prefer 22's or 24's. the 26's are too large for my taste but would take them if only choice was 18 or 26.

hcvone
05-03-10, 07:08 AM
I have 18's, 22's, 24's and 26's (kind of in the wheel business) and the 24's and 26's look cool, but on our roads in the NE the 24's and 26's make for a very rough ride, and on my 2009 and 2010 with the mag ride shocks the ride is nothing short of horrible, in fact I sold my last set of 26's yesterday. In parts of the country like the south and south west where the roads are good you can get away with the large wheels with no problem, but not where I live and drive.

PreachRR
05-03-10, 08:53 AM
Honestly speaking the larger the wheel and smaller the tire the more rough the ride will be.. I have some Zinik 22's and that is as large as I plan to go.. the ride quality is great and I only lost 2 MPG the heavier the wheel the worse your gas mileage will be..

vfjdesign
05-03-10, 10:31 AM
I definitely think 22's ----24's absolute largest...If you are looking for a reasonable option that looks great on Lades check out Akuza Blades -about $270 each w/o tires

escalade kidd
05-03-10, 11:56 AM
I like the 22's..I also like the wider spokes. I dont like seeing more of the rotors. I went from 20's on my Denali to 22's on my ext and they ride as nice as the 20's... Those 26's look like the rim in on the ground. 1 pothole and that rim is done.

trashguy
05-04-10, 12:59 PM
Went from chrome factory 18s to black 24s , everyone noticed . Even chics
Who don't know anything about cars. The 24s ride harder but not
as bad as I thought .

trashguy
05-04-10, 01:01 PM
Btw after driving on the 24s for a few months theres no way
id goto 26s.

SouthernCaddy
05-04-10, 05:56 PM
I am staying with 18's, she floats down the road like a "CADILLAC" :)

fivepix
05-04-10, 10:05 PM
I like the 26's but it really depends on what type of ride you like if you don't mind the rough ride go for it. I got 24's and luv them I would like to go up to the 26's but the roads in my city would make the ride way too crappy.

Have you looked in to 24's vs 26's? or are the 22's the only other option?

Evan from MN
05-05-10, 10:34 AM
I'm open to 24's as well. I wish there was someway I could test the different options before I buy. Does anybody know if 24s/26s can damage other parts of the car?

Ronin
05-05-10, 11:28 AM
22s FTW. Typically the larger the rim size the heavier the overall weight of the wheel, and that in with a lower profile sidewall and the ride will suffer proportionally. If you have streets like glass everywhere you go, that's fine, but here in New England the factory 22s can get rough and come winter time I throw on the stock 18s with Blizzaks . Additionally the heavier rotating mass will put more stress on the drivetrain/suspension/brakes, which is why you hear sometimes about people having warranty issues with those components when they're rolling on gigantic wheels and the dealer tells them they're on their own. Add some reduced suspension travel by way of lowering and the ride can get even that much more harsh.

Your mileage may vary of course...

LITTLEELVISDAN
05-05-10, 12:44 PM
I am going to choose picture #1 since that's my car. :-) Those are the stock Caddy 22's.. I personally wouldn't have the 18's on any car especially a Slade. 18's look GOOFY, like a 1986 silverado pickup. I also tow alot and have never had problems with 22's.

hcvone
05-05-10, 01:45 PM
I am going to choose picture #1 since that's my car. :-) Those are the stock Caddy 22's.. I personally wouldn't have the 18's on any car especially a Slade. 18's look GOOFY, like a 1986 silverado pickup. I also tow alot and have never had problems with 22's.

Unless you drive thru feet of snow like I do, then you LOVE the 18's (winter only and off road tires of course) because it's better than being stuck in the snow with 22's, but the rest of the year 22's and 24's ;)

Evan from MN
05-05-10, 02:18 PM
Ronin do you know where I can get more information about 24s and 26s affecting the drivetrain? Any experts I can call or email? Any other forums?

Evan from MN
05-05-10, 02:26 PM
Ronin do you know who or where I can get more info from on drivetrain issues caused from heavier wheels? The last thing I want is to turn my truck into a lemon because I was trying to look cool.

fivepix
05-05-10, 07:01 PM
There are a bunch of people here running 24's and 26's perhaps they can post their experiences here.

I've had the truck on 24's for 3 years now with no issues. 18's for the winter are a must for me.

As for the dealer denying you warranty I believe they will have to prove that the wheels were a direct cause.

Ronin
05-05-10, 10:37 PM
Ronin do you know who or where I can get more info from on drivetrain issues caused from heavier wheels? The last thing I want is to turn my truck into a lemon because I was trying to look cool.

Search is your friend...and the additional strain on your drivetrain (tranny/suspension/brakes) is simple physics...bring your Escalade on gigantic donking wheels in for bad ball joints or a similar problem and the dealer is more than likely to tell you to pound sand. Now more than ever they're looking at cutting corners and denying warranty claims where ever and when ever they can, and aftermarket parts are practically a blank check for them to do so. They need to pay that bailout money back somehow after all...

goldesky
05-06-10, 07:32 AM
26s all day long bro. Wheel wells big enough for them to fit nice and no rubbing... i don't have mine on yet, getting everything done on drivetrain first then having them custom painted.

It really depends on what you value most, ride quality - or looks. Sort of a trade off, ya know? A good friend of mine had 24s on it, and parked next to one with 26s i liked the look of the 26s WAY better.. but if you roads are bumpy, you will be hating life. I'm actually going to keep both my stock 22s and new 26s (Lexani) and swap them off/on as needed.

I also plan on adding bigger brakes to stop the truck better after adding such a heavier wheel... I already have the truck lowered 2/3

It's really personal opinion too i think, some people like big wheels, others don't. You see a lot of that on this forum. To each their own, personally i think they look great on the 'lade because of the big wheel wells- but other people think they look too big. But to be sure, your ride WILL suffer.. so if your roads are bad, be ready to have your teeth rattled out ;) Especially if you put a drop on it...

oh, and don't think about putting U2s on a 60k truck either, those are el cheapo rims in that second picture.

hcvone
05-06-10, 07:59 AM
Search is your friend...and the additional strain on your drivetrain (tranny/suspension/brakes) is simple physics...bring your Escalade on gigantic donking wheels in for bad ball joints or a similar problem and the dealer is more than likely to tell you to pound sand. Now more than ever they're looking at cutting corners and denying warranty claims where ever and when ever they can, and aftermarket parts are practically a blank check for them to do so. They need to pay that bailout money back somehow after all...

This is very true, in designing large wheels 24's and 26's the first thing and most important thing is the weight, I always try to keep them under the weight of the largest factory wheel offered, so they have to be forged, of course real forged wheels are expensive, but look at it this way, the more money you are paying for the forged wheels, the less you will be paying on suspension parts in the long run. ;)

MATCHN_TOYZ
05-06-10, 10:15 AM
Im with Goldesky....

Ive had 26z on since the day I bought mine back in April 07... Only problem ive had is brake rotors...but so have others without big wheels so I dont think its just cuz of my rims but it was a quick fix...40bucks and 2hrs I had resurfaced rotors.

I also have a lowering kit (2/4) which will kill the nice factory ride with 18s (no getn around that) but I dont care too much about the ride. Its a give and take when making changes. Factory 22s is probably the best you can get. Where you live also plays a factor... here in TX the roads are pretty good and we dont get any snow...so 26s work fine and the ride isnt that bad. Then again ive alwayz had lowered cars/trucks even air bags so the ride might be normal for me. But if your worried about it...then stick with what you got. About the drivetrain...it might be true that it puts more stress on it...but its also about how you drive. I drive slow and smooth... Im sure that running 18s and trying to drive like it was a CTS-V would kill it just as much if not more. There are some positivies for bigger wheels... I feel like I get more control with the bigger wheels... the lowering did help with cornering and towing control... so its not all negative.

and again like Goldesky said....dont put cheap rims (big or small) on a Caddy.... Thats the first thing I notice on rides and its sooo easy to tell.

Oh and last thing..... why all the hating on big wheels or lowering???? I dont hate when others lift and put fat snow/off road tires. Everyone has diff resons for going bigger or smaller...factory or cutsom. Your not driving it... You didnt pay for it... so why should you care? LOVE IT OR HATE IT....BUT RESPECT IT!

hcvone
05-06-10, 10:24 AM
Im with Goldesky....

Ive had 26z on since the day I bought mine back in April 07... Only problem ive had is brake rotors...but so have others without big wheels so I dont think its just cuz of my rims but it was a quick fix...40bucks and 2hrs I had resurfaced rotors.

I also have a lowering kit (2/4) which will kill the nice factory ride with 18s but I dont care too much about the ride. Its a give and take when making changes. Factory 22s is probably the best you can get. Where you live also plays a factor... here in TX the roads are pretty good and we dont get any snow...so 26s work fine and the ride isnt that bad. Then again ive alwayz had lowered cars/trucks even air bags so the ride might be normal for me. But if your worried about it...then stick with what you got.

and again like Goldesky said....dont put cheap rims (big or small) on a Caddy.... Thats the first thing I notice on rides and its sooo easy to tell.

Oh and last thing..... why all the hating on big wheels or lowering???? I dont hate when others lift and put fat snow/off road tires. Your not driving it... You didnt pay for it so why should you care?

I didn't see all this hate for big wheels, the thread's name was "Opinions Needed" and that is what people were given. Some owners think the stock 22's look stupid, and others think the stock 18's look stupid. ;)

MATCHN_TOYZ
05-06-10, 10:38 AM
HCVONE.... You might be a lil right. :bigroll:I might be taking it a lil personal. I guess what im trying to say is that lowering or lifting... bigger rims or just bigger tires they will ALL have some kind of effect on ride,control,handeling,gas..etc

It just seem like all the negs were cuz big rims. Which I dont think is completly true :tisk:

:thumbsup:

hcvone
05-06-10, 11:06 AM
HCVONE.... You might be a lil right. :bigroll:I might be taking it a lil personal. I guess what im trying to say is that lowering or lifting... bigger rims or just bigger tires they will ALL have some kind of effect on ride,control,handeling,gas..etc

It just seem like all the negs were cuz big rims. Which I dont think is completly true :tisk:

:thumbsup:

Look at it this way, put the same large rims and tires on two of the same trucks, and give them to two different people, one drive maybe easy on the equipment and the other driver beats the hell out of the truck, that truck will have more issues for sure. With the Escalade's with the stock 22's they are pushing the limits of what the truck was designed for, now they did increase the size of the brakes in 07' for the 22's, but did nothing else to beef up the front end parts. My 2500 HD truck uses Escalade front brakes as the rear brakes on my truck and the front are HUGE, and if you look at the 2500 front end the parts are huge making the Escalade front end parts look like toy pieces in comparing the two. Don't take it personally, that is why we have so many choice, different people like different things. :)