: Hennessey Intercooler Upgrade

GMX322V S/C
05-02-10, 01:05 PM
Has anybody seen or installed one of these: http://www.hennesseyperformancestore.com/inuphex.html

It looks like the one Wait4Me Performance offers, so I'm curious about how it mounts, etc.

Razorecko
05-02-10, 03:10 PM
Has anybody seen or installed one of these: http://www.hennesseyperformancestore.com/inuphex.html

It looks like the one Wait4Me Performance offers, so I'm curious about how it mounts, etc.

Hennessey most likely buys them from w4me and sells them for more.

Ross Racing
05-02-10, 04:29 PM
It looks pretty big. Kind of what I am looking for. Is Wait4Me's that size. Hennessey might sell one if they put more pics and at least a little info.

09V
05-02-10, 04:50 PM
I had contacted Hennessey to get details on this exchanger and they couldn't give me specifics on how much it lowered IATs, but they claimed it made a great deal of horsepower. That isn't what I was necessarily interested in. I realize that with all other mods remaining the same and adding this exchanger cooled things off dramatically then horsepower would be a by-product due to running more efficiently. However, they did it in conjunction with other mods and couldn't give specifics for this item.

cbloveday
05-02-10, 05:38 PM
It looks smaller than wait4me and fastlanes. Top edges of Hennesseys appear curved in photo. I too would be interested in knowing if Hennessey's have mounts. Mine did not but is very secure and centered. The coolant hoses and underside clip holds it in place with no movement at all. I paid $400 for mine. Originally was off center installed then vseries thread got me off my butt and I bought an "S" curved coolant hose. Vseries used 2 "U" curved hoses connected to accomplish the same install.

Hennessey
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/hennessey.jpg

Fastlane
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/fastlane-2.jpg

Wait4me
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/DSC_0332.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/DSC_0331.jpg

GMX322V S/C
05-02-10, 09:51 PM
Hmm, you're right, the Hennessey unit does look about a half a grille row shorter (although there's about a half-row difference between the two Wait4Me pics also). Forgot about the Fastlane unit--thanks for that. Looks intere$ting...

CadV
05-02-10, 09:54 PM
I think an inline solution kind of defeats the purpose. Think we would be better served replacing the stock one with something a lot better.

GMX322V S/C
05-02-10, 10:02 PM
I had a hard time with that also. The only way I can rationalize it is to think of it like a dual-row radiator, where one row is behind the other. It must be all about increasing the radiative surface area (as well as coolant volume).

Titaniumseeker
05-02-10, 10:09 PM
I concur with CadV. D3 has an Intercooler Reservior upgrade that I am considering.

cbloveday
05-02-10, 10:19 PM
Is this the D3 system you are referring to? Anyone know the difference in fluid added between W4me and D3? Also, price difference?

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/d3-1.jpg

Reservoir Upgrade
Heat Exchanger Upgrade
Application: 2009+ CTS-V
By adding the D3 Intercooler Reservoir you will effectively increase the total fluid capacity to 5.4 quarts. This will help stave off heat soak and reduce your average fluid temperature. It will also help provide you with much more consistent performance in hot weather. By adding more fluid to the system, the compressed air going through the intercooler will only be able to transfer its heat to a smaller percentage of the fluid cooling the air charge. This item comes in a wrinkle black military spec powder coat finish with mounting brackets for easy installation. This product installs using provided hardware without drilling or cutting. The low gloss black finish keeps this modification very low key when mounted behind the wire mesh grill. No permanent modifications are required for the installation of this unit.

GMX322V S/C
05-02-10, 10:58 PM
According to the service manual, the stock charge cooling system holds 2.4 quarts. Wait4Me says his intercooler adds a gallon, so total capacity would be 6.4 quarts.

Titaniumseeker
05-03-10, 12:54 PM
Is this the D3 system you are referring to? Anyone know the difference in fluid added between W4me and D3? Also, price difference?

Reservoir Upgrade
Heat Exchanger Upgrade
By adding the D3 Intercooler Reservoir you will effectively increase the total fluid capacity to 5.4 quarts. This will help stave off heat soak and reduce your average fluid temperature. It will also help provide you with much more consistent performance in hot weather. By adding more fluid to the system, the compressed air going through the intercooler will only be able to transfer its heat to a smaller percentage of the fluid cooling the air charge. This item comes in a wrinkle black military spec powder coat finish with mounting brackets for easy installation. This product installs using provided hardware without drilling or cutting. The low gloss black finish keeps this modification very low key when mounted behind the wire mesh grill. No permanent modifications are required for the installation of this unit.

Yes, Pricing for the D3 Reservior upgrade is $550.00. Add their heat exchange upgrade and you tack on another $500.00. W4Me's heat exhanger is $400.00. Can't really tell from the D3's pics but it looks like their heat exchanger upgrade is smaller. Trying to confirm today.

BTW: Isn't Fastlane's Heat exchanger upgrade a direct replacement and not an add-on like W4ME or D3?

CadV
05-03-10, 01:11 PM
Yes, Pricing for the D3 Reservior upgrade is $550.00. Add their heat exchange upgrade and you tack on another $500.00. W4Me's heat exhanger is $400.00. Can't really tell from the D3's pics but it looks like their heat exchanger upgrade is smaller. Trying to confirm today.

BTW: Isn't Fastlane's Heat exchanger upgrade a direct replacement and not an add-on like W4ME or D3?

Yeah Fastlane replaces the stock unit.

cbloveday
05-03-10, 01:30 PM
If Fastlane is a replacement, seems to me the heat exchanger from w4me would do the best job. Thoughts?

wait4me
05-03-10, 01:51 PM
Mine can be a direct replace or inline. There is nothing keeping you from using both. But using both is better.

Mine is a dual pass unit, we make them here. The benefits when used with the stock unit are:
The water gets passed thru and cooled 3 times before it gets back to the intake intercooler.
It adds a ton of water volume that is constantly in airflow to cool itself down.
The faster you go, the cooler your air charge temps get.
The TOTAL front of the lower grill is used for maximum thermal heat transfer.
It is the exact size of the free space of the bumper so no mounting tabs are required.
Im using the thickest high density core i can get so it is going to work the best.

Who cares about a resovoir if it isn't being cooled what is the point? The added volume would take a little longer to heat up, but once it does heat up, it takes even longer to get rid of the heat. That is why i dont make or offer one.

Titaniumseeker
05-03-10, 02:15 PM
Fastlane's Heat Exchanger is a direct replacement for the stock and costs $989.00 Their system will increase the cooling system capacity from stock 2.4 qts to 3.0 qts. W4Me's add-on is 4.0 qts capacity, can give you 6.4 capacity and can also be a direct replacement for $400.00. It would seem to me that the add-on configuration by W4Me is the best value.

GMX322V S/C
05-03-10, 08:12 PM
Heard from Hennessey; they said their heat exchanger "utilizes the stock hoses and fittings," so I assume this means it is also a replacement vs. an add-on. It "adds 1.25 quarts estimated," which would bring total system capacity to around 3.7 quarts.

Dr. Design
05-07-10, 06:03 PM
Hello,
Actually that is our other system. We have a new system in the works, that we will release data on next week along with images. But we can tell you this, there isnt anything thing on the market like it...

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Reservoir Upgrade
Heat Exchanger Upgrade

lawnstripes
05-08-10, 11:37 AM
Hello,
Actually that is our other system. We have a new system in the works, that we will release data on next week along with images. But we can tell you this, there isnt anything thing on the market like it...

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

NO LITTLE hints Dr D. of what to expect ?

mfrazstsv
06-02-10, 04:43 PM
Dr D
I don't see any new heat exchanger on your website. Is this still going to happen?

Dr. Design
06-02-10, 05:12 PM
Hello,
Sorry forgot this was posted. We are launching a new website so none of the marketing materials have been released yet, and will not be on the website until it has been launched.

But I can give some details....

The new cooler holds 1.2 Gallons!!! That's just in the exchanger, no lines.

On a CTS-V making 13 psi the IAT2 temps were 105 on average in socal on a 85 degree day.

We even have an optional upgrade intercooler pump that will supply 20GPM.

We are building these now and you can place an order. info@d3cadillac.com

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Dr D
I don't see any new heat exchanger on your website. Is this still going to happen?

gnxs
06-02-10, 08:03 PM
Cost?

cbloveday
06-02-10, 08:53 PM
Subscribed and waiting for pics of system.

mfrazstsv
06-02-10, 09:52 PM
Can only echo the posts of the last two members - hard to order if we don't know what it takes to install (pictures or marketing info) or cost. The 1.2 gallons sounds great, especially if it is an add-on. Glad your average SoCal day is 85 - here in Houston we are getting to mid-90's, and Dallas will be low 100's soon. Not sure about Chicago area, but I think it is fairly hot for a while in the summer. So the temps may not be so low, but it is all relative. If IAT runs about 20 degress over ambient, sounds great.

Razorecko
06-02-10, 09:56 PM
sounds very very interesting