: Best Header combo with stock mufflers

Somefun
05-02-10, 10:13 AM
Guy's I'm thinking of adding headers to my V but don't want the car real loud. I was thinking of either Kooks or American Racing Headers. I'd go with hi flow cats and an x through the stock mufflers... What do you think?:banana:

chopmeat
05-02-10, 10:20 AM
There's gotta be a million posts on this.
I love my AR headers with the stock exhaust.
Perfect sound.

cbloveday
05-02-10, 10:23 AM
There's gotta be a million posts on this.
I love my AR headers with the stock exhaust.
Perfect sound.

American Racing Headers, 3 inch exhaust, OEM mufflers here!

Somefun
05-02-10, 10:29 AM
Did you guy's notice a good gain? Is the car much louder under normal driving?

GMX322V S/C
05-02-10, 11:58 AM
AMR netted 30 RWHP with just a minor A/F tweak: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/163870-r-headers-pics-dyno-results.html. I'd imagine the results with Kooks would be similar.

The biggest difference I can see between the two systems is the placement of the collectors and cats. AR pretty much follows the stock system's routing; on the driver's-side, this places the collector and cat a little further outboard than the Kooks system to get around a stiffening rail next to the transmission. The pipe is then slightly ovaled to get under another stiffening rail--just like the stock system (albeit a 3" pipe vs. the stock 2.5"). On the other hand, the passenger's-side of the AR system is routed slightly inboard as compared to the Kooks system: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/191568-kooks-custom-headers-sale.html.

In my opinion, the AR system might tuck better than the Kooks system--but that's just my opinion. I've never seen any ground clearance shots for either system, but if you're going to be lowered, you may want to investigate a little further.

As far as sound with the stock mufflers, there are media clips out there and I agree with the owners--I think it sounds perfect. But until a set comes out with a CARB EO number (never gonna happen), I'll probably just stick with my custom 2.5" mandrel-bent/Corsa Touring system that retains the stock exhaust manifolds and cats...

thebigjimsho
05-02-10, 12:18 PM
Just picked up my V at Behe yesterday and I have Kooks headers with the stock muffs. I'm very happy with it. I wanted more attitude without being too loud and these were the ticket. I drove it home yesterday and I had the windows and moonroof open the whole time. It has transformed the V. That little bit extra attitude gives the V the visceral feel I have missed that I loved in my '04...

But again, it's not loud. You can still drive the old ladies to church...

Titaniumseeker
05-02-10, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=thebigjimsho;2231511]Just picked up my V at Behe yesterday and I have Kooks headers with the stock muffs. I'm very happy with it. I wanted more attitude without being too loud and these were the ticket. I drove it home yesterday and I had the windows and moonroof open the whole time. It has transformed the V. That little bit extra attitude gives the V the visceral feel I have missed that I loved in my '04...

But again, it's not loud. You can still drive the old ladies to church...[/QUOTED]

Did you have a grin on your face all the way home? That sound is intoxicating, isn't it?

BTW, My V is lowered on D3 springs and I do not have any ground clearance issues with the Kooks headers. The Corsa exhaust I've installed does increase the decibel range but only at wot.

thebigjimsho
05-02-10, 08:57 PM
Did you have a grin on your face all the way home? That sound is intoxicating, isn't it?

BTW, My V is lowered on D3 springs and I do not have any ground clearance issues with the Kooks headers. The Corsa exhaust I've installed does increase the decibel range but only at wot.
It was great. I've just felt disconnected from my V all this time. I loved my V1 and only really liked my V2, even with all the luxuries, refinements and creature comforts. Now, I may start loving it...

Dr.Buzz
05-02-10, 09:21 PM
Of course sound is personal preference. I have the Kooks with stock mufflers and D3 lowering springs. The car sounds great. At idle just deep rumble. At wide open throttle it roars. No clearance issues. I suspect the AR headers sound about the same. I suggest going with whatever headers you like with stock mufflers first. If not loud enough you can always go with other exhaust later.

thebigjimsho
05-02-10, 10:45 PM
I bought the Kooks because Luke had a group buy and I jumped. B&B is suppose to come out with something, I believe. I loved my B&B on my '04 and if I had that option, I probably would've done that.