: Cruise control

eric96816
05-02-10, 04:09 AM
My cruise control does not work. It is completely dead - it does not do anything when I try to activate it. Anyone know what might be wrong with it? I own an '04.:hmm:

DTS Diamond
05-02-10, 10:02 AM
First check the fuse and then the switch above the brake arm for proper adjustment. If this switch plunger is extended to far it disengages or prevents the cruise from activating. Doug-J

ccclarke
05-02-10, 01:13 PM
It could be a number of things, --as simple as a bad fuse or activation button in the column-mounted stalk. Are you getting any messages on the DIC when you press the activation button?
CC

eric96816
05-02-10, 07:14 PM
I do not get any messages on the DIC when I press the activation button. I need to check the fuse. I will try to check it this coming week - I do have an appt at the Cadillac Dealer next Saturday if I can't get to checking the fuse. I am thinking the brake arm adjustment is more for the dealer to adjust if that happens to be the issue. I will let you all know what the Dealer tells me what the cause of the malfunction happens to be.

ccclarke
05-02-10, 07:42 PM
The DSCC (Distance Sensing Cruise Control) module is one of the modules checked during routine diagnostics performed with a Tech 2 at the dealership. Worst case scenario -the module is bad. They run almost a grand when purchased through a dealership. Keep us posted.

CC

eric96816
05-10-10, 05:11 PM
The Dealer called and said it was the module that has to be replaced. $1,700 for the module and $300 to install it. I told him to go ahead and get it. It will take a week for the module to ship from the Mainland to Hawaii.

ccclarke
05-11-10, 11:19 AM
Oooh, that's harsh. Used/new modules have been available on eBay. $300 for installation is very steep. The module is a simple bolt-on. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to swap out if you have the front end raised on ramps/jack stands. The DSCC initially self-calibrates after the car is driven after it senses the roadway/signs, etc. If it can't self-calibrate, -due to a mechanical misalignment caused by a bent mount the module attaches to, there is a special alignment fixture that attaches in place and emits a laser beam that the module is aligned to with it's built-in alignment screws for X and Y orientation. It's used if the unit fails to self-calibrate after installation, or after damage to the front end that would mechanically skew the radar beam.

It would be far cheaper to buy the module from gmpartsdirect and install it yourself, then let the unit self-calibrate. You just drive the car around for a few minutes on a road with signs and other obstructions off to the side. (The cruise control won't operate until it finishes doing this.) If for some reason it should fail to self-calibrate, you could always take it to a dealership and have them perform the mechnical alignment with the special Kent Moore tool. --$300 for that would be outrageous too. The procedure in the shop manual is fairly simple and straightforward. I've seen the alignment tool on eBay as well for < $100. At the very least, you can buy the part yourself and have them put it in, you'll still be money ahead. They won't warranty the (new OEM) part, but should stand behind the labor, which is minimal. I've saved a bunch of money this way and never had an issue. (Other than how to spend the money I've saved.)

CC

SuperDave369
05-14-10, 12:02 AM
You can find several brand new cruise control modules on Ebay right now for $700 or less. I can't post a link yet but search for Ebay number 230437315952. I also saw an alignment tool for $26 (item number 270536604338), cheap!

For the $2K you are paying the dealer I could buy these two items and fly out to install them for you, ouch!

Neither auction is mine, I'm just trying to help!

Dave

ccclarke
05-16-10, 03:10 AM
Hey, if SuperDave is busy, I'll fly instead AND buy the first round (. . . after the job is done). Do be aware that the DSCC module comes in (at least) two flavors: P/N 10349974 for 2004-2005 and P/N 10354878 for 2006-2007.

CC

eric96816
05-23-10, 12:18 AM
I asked the Dealer to consider giving me a discount. After sharing with the service manager what the module sells for on GMPartsDirect, the Dealer ended up charging me $1,600 which is more reasonable than the original $2K and a few hundred above what I would consider a bargain price of about $1,300 ($1,100 for the module from GMPartsDirect + $200 for installation). I told the Dealer to keep the car a few more days and change the coolant and trans oil since it probably needs it as it has 64K miles and is over 5 years old (not to sure if the previous owner changed these fluids).