: Headgasket help timing tensioner

1996p71
05-01-10, 11:02 PM
I'm kinda stuck on how do you retract the timing chain tensioners or do you just unbolt them and I need to know which cylinder is number 1 for timing purposes

Ranger
05-02-10, 09:58 AM
Go to the USER CP and edit your profile to show your year and model so we know what engine we are talking about.

1996p71
05-03-10, 06:09 AM
Its a 2000 dts I unbolted it and put it back on but it's like it didn't expand all the way the chain is still kinda loose though

tateos
05-04-10, 12:08 PM
Install the chain and guide and gear on the cam...press the release lever on the side of the tensioner...press the tensioner piston in...put a paper clip in to hold the piston in place...install the tensioner... remove the paper clip - that will allow the piston to extend. If you still have some excess slack, pull the chain on the tensioner side to bring the slack over there - that may allow the tensioner piston to ratchet out another notch. Now, recheck the timing - make sure nothing changed or moved during this process, and that you did it correctly in the first place.

Next, move on to the next chain. Lather - rinse - repeat.

97EldoCoupe
05-09-10, 03:22 PM
They are supposed to be spring loaded- both the tensioner itself and the ratchet mechanism. If either one is no longer spring loaded, you will need new tensioners.

I always use a wrench to pry from the tensioner to the shoe (guide) to set the pre-load on the chain and make sure the slack is on the tensioner side. Not much pre-load is required- it will adjust itself- but I don't like slacky chains during initial start-up. You should hear the tensioner go "click" when you do this. Make sure that when you press on the chain between the two cam sprockets that you can move the chain up or down about an 1/8th of an inch. It can't be rock-solid tight (it will wear the guides out and also the intermediate sprocket bushing). Just snug.

97EldoCoupe
05-09-10, 03:24 PM
Sorry Tateos - you said about the same thing about making sure the slack is on the tensioner side - whoops-

tateos
05-10-10, 03:01 PM
Sorry Tateos - you said about the same thing about making sure the slack is on the tensioner side - whoops-

Well, yeah, you're right Jake, but you brought up a very good point I forgot to mention about not making the tension TOO tight. Once that piston is extended and ratchets out, it's not going to adjust in unless you manually depress the release lever. It's a one way street. I guess you could say that the goal is to get the tension tight enough so the chain won't skip a tooth when you start it up. Once it's started, the tensioner will automatically tighten it up more if warranted.

mwise101
06-25-10, 11:34 AM
I have the 99 Seville STS. I am trying to reinstall the timing chain. How to I get the plungers back in. they ratcheted all the way out when I removed them. I tried depressing the release lever on the tensioner but the plunger doesn't seem to want to go back in. Please help. Thanks!!

Micah

tateos
06-25-10, 01:21 PM
The plunger should retract easily, once the release lever is depressed - are you moving the lever in the correct direction?

mwise101
06-25-10, 03:33 PM
The plunger should retract easily, once the release lever is depressed - are you moving the lever in the correct direction?

I've tried moving it both directions. The plungers went all the way out when I unbolted them. I then tried twisting/pressing the lever (looks like a chain link) both directions. It doesn't seem to want to go back in. Maybe I'm not pressing hard enough. IDK. Kinda stuck with that. :( I don't have all the parts with me now to play with or I'd try again. They're at a guys shop.

tateos
06-25-10, 04:01 PM
First of all, since you are having problems, my advice is to have the tensioner out of the engine - not installed - at least until you learn how to do this. Now, hold the tensioner in one hand and press in on the plunger, while you have a paper clip or something similar ready to put in the hole on the release lever. I think you would say that you now rotate the release lever "toward" the end of the plunger, or "away" from the body.

Once the hole on the release lever is uncovered, and the plunger is fully retracted, insert the paper clip to hold it there. Next, install the tensioner, chain, guide, etc., and when you have everything set up correctly, pull the paper clip and the tensioner plunger will extend.

If you cannot get the tensioner plunger to retract, or the release lever to move, just get a new one - they are not too expensive - $27.79 each at Rock Auto for Cloyes brand

mwise101
06-25-10, 07:35 PM
Cool. I'll try that. Thanks!

Mark C
06-26-10, 03:18 PM
Theres an oil pressure bleed line behind each tensioner piston, once the tensioners have been exposed to the pressure from the pump its real hard just to press them back into their retracted position even after lifting the rachet lock. Sometime you need to loosen the bolts that hold the tensioner to the block, then the trapped oil behind the tensioner will drain out.