: Finally My CTSV is in my garage. Detailed review below for everyone.

M5DriverNY
05-01-10, 10:13 PM
Well I have been absent since the whole dealership debacle but I just got the car yesterday. GM Cadillac representatives have called me and admitted and apologized on the poor dealership behavior not only in my area but across the USA. They assured me they are in the launch phase of an entirely different training and philosophy for customers so they get treated right. The admitted how this has been hurting GM sales across the board and its obvious they need to step it up. I was fortunate to find a great dealership and salesperson who went beyond my expectations to make me happy. They even delivered the car to my home. World class all the way and they made this deal happen in 48 hours. If anyone in the NY Tri State needs a great dealer PM me.

I have put the car through its paces. Last night I took it easy since I need to get used to the car itself. Not easy with a 6k RPM versus my M5 9k. Today I woke up at 5am and have driven the CTSV 600+ miles. I have driven on every road imaginable which was for sure a real road test.

I am going to make several comparisons with other cars not to try and start a flame war but to lend my experience since I have owned and driven so many.

On a smooth road the CTSV excels, at 90-120 MPH even through mild turns the car just feels awesome. It honestly kills any AMG car to date in every respect. Much quieter and comfortable than the M5 by far.

Now here is what really bothers me. In city driving on bumpy roads the suspension just doesnít handle and absorb the energy well. It almost feels like the suspension cant take it. Its not the unibody stiffness because the car is super stiff and we all know that. It has to be the spring/shock rates or the design of where and how the suspension is mounted to the cars chassis.

Now the only other car that has this issue is the Jaguar XJR 2004-2009 with the aluminum space frame and air suspension. I have owned a 2005 XJR and the car felt exactly the same over rough roads which made no sense to me. Its like the suspension ĒHangsĒ over bumps and cant match the irregularities. Its quite annoying and makes the front end feel frail. I have been driving so soft because it feels like I am going to bend a rim or break something when the steering feedback shudders over the road. The 2005 XJR steering and response is almost identical to the CTSV. What confuses me is the Jaguar has air springs and the CTS has conventional coil springs/shocks. Very strange.

In a turn on a bumpier road the rear end skips badly in the CTS just like my 05 XJR did. I have adjusted PSI on all tires a few times today and nothing seemed to help. Its just the design and nature of the car and for anyone who can relate on this feel go drive the XJR and you can compare yourself how similar these cars feel to one another.

Now I still have my M5 and my M5 is rock solid over every surface and not a single rattle even after 2 years with me killing the car.

CTSV is nicer looking than the M5 inside and out. CTSV is a more comfortable highway car for sure. M5 spanks it when driven hard in the corners and just feels more secure and solid over my local roads which is a shame that the CTS is brand new and the suspension shudders so much. Sorry it just does and if anyone fails to believe and is local PM me and I will drive both cars on the same roads , same style and you be the judge.

I overheated the CTSV brakes several times today and it also made me realize and everyone should as well. Just because you have Huge Brembos doesnít mean the cars brakes are the best. My older AMG cars had the same brakes and stopped much better. Why? Its got to be more than the calipers and rotors itís the master cylinder, brake booster and proportioning valving that really makes brakes kick butt. The CTS pedal feel is mushy and vague.

I overheated my AMG brakes 2 times at 150+ speeds and I never overheated the M5 brakes.

Summary of my CTSV review: The suspension in the city sucks and the brakes donít impress me. The rest of the car is just awesome. GM needs to address these two areas if they really want to spank the European cars even better. CTS engine is awesome and the power beats every European car in the segment.

I can honestly say the CTSV compares more with the E63 AMG and the Jaguar XFR. In regards to the E63 or even C63 the CTSV is just better built and better driving. The AMG engineers believe in stuffing a large engine in the standard platform with no real science behind it which makes for a fast boulevard cruiser than a real drivers car. The Jaguar rides much better in the city and doesnít feel jittery over bumps. The Jaguar XFR steering also has more weight and direct feedback which I honestly like better. GM just feel over-assisted. The XFR has more body roll and feels heavier but they should be comparable in weights, power is very similar to the CTSV so I think this is a true direct comparison. The AMG cars in my opinion stink, they are fast as a bullet and look nice but thatís where it ends for AMG.

The M5 does everything you demand perfectly however it comes at a huge compromise: Cost, comfort, boring styling and lack of practicality and bad stock options from oil corporations.

So as of now I plan to upgrade the CTSV with the D3 springs soon and some brake hardware. Itís a sweet car and for the money an awesome car. The CTSV is $30k less than the AMG, and M5 so that alone says a lot. I just think in the city it feels frail and I donít think the car will hold up well over a few years dealing with these roads. GM please fix the brakes and suspension anchoring and this car will excel for years to come.

As of last week I am also keeping my M5, sorry I just cant let the car go its so exhilarating to drive but now I have the CTSV, I can use the M5 sparingly and not feel beat up all day long so itís the best of both worlds. If I want real abuse Il take out my Camaro or Porsche.

I really hope the springs help the cars suspension a lot. For anyone who feels the same in regards to my review and who has tried aftermarket parts I would like to hear comments in regards to how well these parts improved these two key areas. Not trying to start any arguments via this thread so if your biased leave the negative comments out. Just my hands on experiences with all the cars mentioned above.

Enjoy.

lawnstripes
05-01-10, 10:49 PM
i take it you played with the sport mode and also the competition settings?

glad you got the car-- agree the new 5 series are soooooo boring

garfin
05-01-10, 11:06 PM
Today I woke up at 5am and have driven the CTSV 600+ miles. I have driven on every road imaginable which was for sure a real road test.
I overheated the CTSV brakes several times today and it also made me realize and everyone should as well. Just because you have Huge Brembos doesnít mean the cars brakes are the best.

I certainly appreciate reading your comments, observations and conclusions, especially given the experiences you've had driving other marques...
...but I can't help but be a bit curious as to the why and wherefore behind your observations with respect to the performance of the V's brakes - especially after overheating them on the 1st day?
Obviously, you've had enough experience to compare the V's brakes with other cars that are comparable. I've had a fair amount of seat time in other cars on a track to know that the brakes on this V are purdy darned good!
Of paramount signifigance, I would be very interested in knowing how you bedded in the new brakes on this car, and what you did on the first day to cause them to overheat.
It would also be very informative if you could describe the behavior of the brakes on their being overheated with respect to fade, pedal presuure, mushiness, stopping distance etc. Did the fluid boil over?
Looking forward to your further comments!

Best regards,

Elie

swiseuf
05-01-10, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the write-up. I always appreciate the feedback from folks who can offer insight on the good AND bad. You sound to fall in line with many of the auto writers out there who are very impressed with the CTS-V value, but tip their hat to the M5 when it comes to the ultimate overall driving experience.

Your comments on the brakes are interesting and I think you hit the nail on the head about the supporting hardware. In my limited track experience, it always seemed to be issues like fittings and hoses that caused the biggest issues when the cars are run hard. If you aren't upgrading to the correct fluids and wire braided/SS hoses, you are kidding yourself. Its the total package that makes the difference.

Thanks for sharing.

M5DriverNY
05-02-10, 01:52 AM
I certainly appreciate reading your comments, observations and conclusions, especially given the experiences you've had driving other marques...
...but I can't help but be a bit curious as to the why and wherefore behind your observations with respect to the performance of the V's brakes - especially after overheating them on the 1st day?
Obviously, you've had enough experience to compare the V's brakes with other cars that are comparable. I've had a fair amount of seat time in other cars on a track to know that the brakes on this V are purdy darned good!
Of paramount signifigance, I would be very interested in knowing how you bedded in the new brakes on this car, and what you did on the first day to cause them to overheat.
It would also be very informative if you could describe the behavior of the brakes on their being overheated with respect to fade, pedal presuure, mushiness, stopping distance etc. Did the fluid boil over?
Looking forward to your further comments!

Best regards,

Elie

Elie I had multiple high speed stops 120 + to around 60 and after the 3rd time the pedal got very springy and mushy and the fade was horrible. The car also pulled hard to the left when I applied more pressure which made me nervous as the pavements became rutted.I pulled off multiple exits since I was WAY up North and let them cool for several miles. I then gradually stopped 2-4 times with plenty of cool down and the brakes still didnt have the bite that I am used to. It could be a brake compound change I dont know but my 2010 Camaro does stop better and has better pedal feel. My M5 bites so hard that it pulls you out of the seat and there are 22k miles on the rotors, pads and fluid.

I did a search on this forum and others regarding this and others feel the same way. I also see others have upgraded the HPS pads, lines and fluids and most saw limited or no change in the braking. This only can mean the systems main hardware maybe doesnt mate the brembos I dont know.

I didnt kill the car today since its brand new but I did push it many times throughout the day. When I pulled in tonight the wheels were BLACk they almost looked black chrome and the front rotors smoked slightly. Was a very long day.

I am certain I can fix these brakes but the suspension over bumpy NYC roads is what alarms me most now.

cbloveday
05-02-10, 04:56 AM
M5Driver,

I used this procedure to brake in my brembos when I added semi metallic pads, new rotors and stainless steel brake lines.

From 60mph, gently apply the brakes a couple of times to bring them up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.

Make a series of eight to ten near-stops from 60mph to about 10 mph. Do it HARD by pressing the brakes firmly, but do not lock the wheels or engage ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph and then apply the brakes again. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! If you stop completely and sit there with your foot on the brake pedal, you will imprint pad material onto the hot rotors, which could lead to vibration, uneven braking, and even ruin the rotors.

The brakes may begin to fade after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even smoke, is normal.

After the last near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and cruise for a while, using the brakes as little as possible. The brakes need only a few minutes to cool down. Try not to become trapped in traffic or come to a complete stop while the brakes are still very hot.

If full race pads, such as Hawk DTC-70 or Performance Friction 01 are being used, add four near-stops from 80 to 10mph.

After the break-in cycle, there should be a slight blue tint and a light gray film on the rotor face. The blue tint tells you the rotor has reached break-in temperature and the gray film is pad material starting to transfer onto the rotor face. This is what you are looking for. The best braking occurs when there is an even layer of of pad material deposited across the face of the rotors. This minimizes squealing, increases braking torque, and maximizes pad and rotor life.

After the first break in cycle shown above, the brakes may still not be fully broken in. A second bed-in cycle, AFTER the brakes have cooled down fully from the first cycle, may be necessary before the brakes really start to perform well. This is especially true if you have installed new pads on old rotors, since the pads need time to conform to the old rotor wear pattern. If you've just installed a big brake kit, the pedal travel may not feel as firm as you expected. After the second cycle, the pedal will become noticeably firmer. If necessary, bleed the brakes to improve pedal firmness.

No doubt the brakes can be improved upon but they are pretty good for OEM.
grab some hawk pads, ss brake lines and off you go.

Regrding the suspension, there are the $400 springs from D3 that others have gotten.

One point I'd like to make, I think no matter what car you or I buy, we'll want to imporve upon it. I bought the Dinan stage 2 for my 07 M6 cause I wanted to improve upon it. You'll be able to bring this CTS-V up by a very small investment.

thatcoder
05-02-10, 08:47 AM
pictures are also mandatory sport.

nota4re
05-02-10, 10:42 AM
Like others, I too appreciate the perspective as I sit here on this Sunday morning contemplating a CTS-V purchase - perhaps even later on today.

Regarding the suspension, it is definitely not a cure-all but I have to wonder how much better tires would play in your evaluation. As I understand the current tires are run-flats and as such, have stiffer sidewalls and a higher overall weight. It would seem that a high-quality, non run-flat tire might improve the situation though we all know it won't cure it. However, the improvement may be significant.

Regarding the brakes, there's no getting around that the CTS-V is a heavy car. Second factor is the brake pad compound and the third large factor here is how the brakes were bedded in. If the brakes were not bedded in properly (especially high-perfromance brakes), there could be some added brake performance that is never realized.

Again, loved the review. Somehow they just seem all that more believeable when everything is not perfect. As many have said, it seems that GM has provided a great platform at a very competitive price point. Combine that with a healthy aftermarket and we can certainly customize to our own particular flavor!

OK, I think I about have myself talked into one of these...

DrumStix
05-02-10, 11:03 AM
103 ft from 60-0 as a benchmark is phenomenal in the caddy. M5 does not best that.

As for the magnetorhological shocks not reacting fast enough to bumps, what is faster than a computer?

It's a matter of feel I think. The Caddy is going to be a bit more reserved than a high strung M5, until you tweak it and make it a bit more raw. Still, the stock performance figures in every category do not lie.

DrumStix
05-02-10, 11:06 AM
Elie I had multiple high speed stops 120 + to around 60 and after the 3rd time the pedal got very springy and mushy and the fade was horrible. The car also pulled hard to the left when I applied more pressure which made me nervous as the pavements became rutted.I pulled off multiple exits since I was WAY up North and let them cool for several miles. I then gradually stopped 2-4 times with plenty of cool down and the brakes still didnt have the bite that I am used to. It could be a brake compound change I dont know but my 2010 Camaro does stop better and has better pedal feel. My M5 bites so hard that it pulls you out of the seat and there are 22k miles on the rotors, pads and fluid.

I did a search on this forum and others regarding this and others feel the same way. I also see others have upgraded the HPS pads, lines and fluids and most saw limited or no change in the braking. This only can mean the systems main hardware maybe doesnt mate the brembos I dont know.

I didnt kill the car today since its brand new but I did push it many times throughout the day. When I pulled in tonight the wheels were BLACk they almost looked black chrome and the front rotors smoked slightly. Was a very long day.

I am certain I can fix these brakes but the suspension over bumpy NYC roads is what alarms me most now.

Horrible way to seat performance brakes. If you upgrade the hardware, please follow the proper seating regimen.

M5DriverNY
05-02-10, 11:28 AM
Horrible way to seat performance brakes. If you upgrade the hardware, please follow the proper seating regimen.

First day i did seat the pads in properly I know how to do that.

Regarding someones reply regarding the tires being runflats I dont think the PS2 are because I have them on my Porsche. But Il double check later. I am going to mess around with tire pressure today.

I do think different tires would help. I am using Nitto NT05 on my Camaro and it made a huge improvement over road noise and ride. Issue is they dont last long so I will need 3 sets of rear tires per year.

What gets me is my Camaro is fully worked with all race suspension and larger wheels and it handles the local bumps better than the CTSV. Its so strange.

I see D3 makes a coil over kit has anyone tried this out yet? This could be a perfect fix but Id like to hear some feedback before I go that route.

Going snap some shots later for everyone so hang tight.

Razorecko
05-02-10, 11:39 AM
^ I think what you're feeling is the effect of the magnetic spring system. It feels like it absorbs some bumps and gives you a floating feelings over others. This gives a very confusing feeling to the road condition. The d3 lowering springs I put on my v drastically cut this feeling and gave it a more positive road feel.

thebigjimsho
05-02-10, 11:45 AM
If you're an enthusiast, the V's brakes have all the capability you'll need. But you'll need to change the pads. Simple as that. Throw on some HP+, or similar, and it's an improvement...

zero26039
05-02-10, 11:58 AM
What dealer did you buy from?
What color?
And what part of ny are you in?

M5DriverNY
05-02-10, 12:11 PM
Forum doesnt like my photos it wont let me upload due to size. Oh well.

GMX322V S/C
05-02-10, 12:43 PM
Our PS2s are not run-flats. There are run-flat PS2s (ZP), but unfortunately no fitment for our fronts.

thatcoder
05-02-10, 12:44 PM
M5.. use picasaweb and link em using the img tag

cbloveday
05-02-10, 02:03 PM
If you still want to show off that car, go to photobucket and sign in. It is free.

Razorecko
05-02-10, 02:24 PM
i find www.imageshack.us to be a good one, no sign in/log in needed

M5DriverNY
05-02-10, 05:54 PM
This forum needs an update with this photo posting issues. Never ran into this one before. Here are a few from earlier today posted on image shack.

http://img11.imageshack.us/i/img00038201005021603.jpg/
http://img46.imageshack.us/i/img00043201005021626.jpg/
http://img217.imageshack.us/i/img00044201005021627.jpg/
http://img25.imageshack.us/i/img00025201004301108.jpg/
http://img696.imageshack.us/i/img1966ce.jpg/

cbloveday
05-02-10, 06:03 PM
Nice stable! Let me help!

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1719/img1966ce.jpg (http://img696.imageshack.us/i/img1966ce.jpg/)

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7389/img00025201004301108.jpg (http://img25.imageshack.us/i/img00025201004301108.jpg/)

thebigjimsho
05-02-10, 06:43 PM
This forum needs an update with this photo posting issues. Never ran into this one before. Here are a few from earlier today posted on image shack.

http://img11.imageshack.us/i/img00038201005021603.jpg/
http://img46.imageshack.us/i/img00043201005021626.jpg/
http://img217.imageshack.us/i/img00044201005021627.jpg/
http://img25.imageshack.us/i/img00025201004301108.jpg/
http://img696.imageshack.us/i/img1966ce.jpg/
Maybe it does. Maybe it doesn't. You seem to enjoy pointing out problems...

DrumStix
05-02-10, 08:35 PM
Jim, careful, he's above theee. He might wave his wand and poooofff. :(

I would say nice stable n stuff but the ego is already huge-mongeous. Put me down for whatever you think.

M5DriverNY
05-02-10, 09:40 PM
Jim, careful, he's above theee. He might wave his wand and poooofff. :(

I would say nice stable n stuff but the ego is already huge-mongeous. Put me down for whatever you think.

Guys don't be haters because I am a serious car enthusiast. There isn't any ego I say it and call it like it is from my experience with cars and my review above is the focus of the thread so lets keep it that way. I only posted photos because lots of guys on forums try to suggest I don't even own the cars I comment about and some guys on here asked me to. Please comment based on your feedback of the CTSV and other cars you have owned or driven so we can share our enthusiasm for the products across the board, make technical comparisons and learn how we can improve and enjoy the car further. Lets stay on topic.

IBNR
05-02-10, 10:07 PM
M5, congratulations on getting your dealer/service issues sorted and the CTS-V into your hands! I hope you like the car as much as we do. Quite honestly, I don't have much experience with cars of this caliber (other than my E500, although that car was old when I bought it), but I'm pretty sure this is the best car I've ever driven. If I could just get rid of the creaks in the center console by the shifter I'd call it perfect....

thatcoder
05-02-10, 10:52 PM
Nice stable. I see you ended up with black. How do you enjoy washing 4 cars every weekend? or do you have a gardener/yard boy that does the chores for you?

liqidvenom
05-02-10, 11:12 PM
lots of sandy shorts in thread. Welcome M5 and that camaro is solid. what are the wheel/tire setup on it?

everyone will notice different things about various vehicles and just raw numbers dont tell the whole story when it comes to being comfortable doing it.

M5DriverNY
05-02-10, 11:33 PM
Nice stable. I see you ended up with black. How do you enjoy washing 4 cars every weekend? or do you have a gardener/yard boy that does the chores for you?

I do most of the detail work myself but sometimes I get it hand washed near my office. Its not easy but I keep up with them and use the duster and spray wax every time I use it, takes 10 min tops and works great.

Caroutisine
05-02-10, 11:42 PM
Congrats on the new ride :)

Enough.

M5DriverNY
05-02-10, 11:45 PM
lots of sandy shorts in thread. Welcome M5 and that camaro is solid. what are the wheel/tire setup on it?

everyone will notice different things about various vehicles and just raw numbers dont tell the whole story when it comes to being comfortable doing it.

Thanks. I also agree every test and youtube video is showing cars on the drag strip or closed race circuit. I honestly think this isn't a fair comparison to the average buyer or individual who has no time to track their cars. Numbers on paper and on the track don't measure up in real street driving and daily use. I would like to see a transition across the board for most comparison test on any high performance car on the street using data and driver feedback as the deciding factor.

According to every video the CTSV = or best the M5 on the track and since I have both cars I pointed out how they are so different in feel and how each one excels over the other. Fact is there is no perfect car and all of them have shortcomings that is just reality but for GM to have been going through financial turmoil and still produce the Camaro and CTSV, ZR1 its really cool we had the opportunity to buy these vehicles given the circumstances. If GM was to hike the CTSV price 20-30k there is no doubt in my mind the car will kick the crap on every level of any other car out there hands down. if that was the case that might be the perfect car.

I think now the aftermarket companies like D3 and others have a great market niche to make parts to improve on any shortcoming in the parts and design of these cars which makes tuning even more fun.

CTSV4now
05-03-10, 12:17 AM
I agree that your M5 looks dull compared to your other cars.

I am also surprised that DrumStix and BigJim are in agreement!

About the suspension being below par, I would have to agree with you on that. I await your solution.

+1 on the wheel/tire combo on your SS. That car may be your best looking one!

MReiland
05-03-10, 06:57 AM
That's a sweet lot of cars, the Porshce is also smoking. Like the SS rims alot!

Titaniumseeker
05-03-10, 11:54 AM
+1 on the tire/wheel setup on the Camaro. Beautiful step down lip and lots of meat too!. Four black rides in the stable? (smile) You da man! I've used the duster/spray combo also. It is not as hard to keep up but I will bet it is very time consuming especially if you have a pollen season like we have in Maryland. Again, very nice stable.

DrumStix
05-03-10, 01:20 PM
Guys don't be haters because I am a serious car enthusiast. There isn't any ego I say it and call it like it is from my experience with cars and my review above is the focus of the thread so lets keep it that way. I only posted photos because lots of guys on forums try to suggest I don't even own the cars I comment about and some guys on here asked me to. Please comment based on your feedback of the CTSV and other cars you have owned or driven so we can share our enthusiasm for the products across the board, make technical comparisons and learn how we can improve and enjoy the car further. Lets stay on topic.

Somehow I knew the word hater was next. :thumbsup:

I say it an call it like it be too. Thanks for the photos, no problem with them at all. The meats on the back of the Camaro are what I like best out of all the photos, believe it or don't, and I'm not a Camaro guy.

I'd love to stick to technical comparo's too and I'm always waiting for actual data. I thought we were buying a status symbol though. My bad. I'm kinda sad now. Can we still bitch about car salesmen here or do we have to now just talk about our rides? :king:

liqidvenom
05-03-10, 01:59 PM
Thanks. I also agree every test and youtube video is showing cars on the drag strip or closed race circuit. I honestly think this isn't a fair comparison to the average buyer or individual who has no time to track their cars. Numbers on paper and on the track don't measure up in real street driving and daily use. I would like to see a transition across the board for most comparison test on any high performance car on the street using data and driver feedback as the deciding factor.

According to every video the CTSV = or best the M5 on the track and since I have both cars I pointed out how they are so different in feel and how each one excels over the other. Fact is there is no perfect car and all of them have shortcomings that is just reality but for GM to have been going through financial turmoil and still produce the Camaro and CTSV, ZR1 its really cool we had the opportunity to buy these vehicles given the circumstances. If GM was to hike the CTSV price 20-30k there is no doubt in my mind the car will kick the crap on every level of any other car out there hands down. if that was the case that might be the perfect car.

I think now the aftermarket companies like D3 and others have a great market niche to make parts to improve on any shortcoming in the parts and design of these cars which makes tuning even more fun.

This is basically it. every car has a certain niche and a certain buyer. if one car did everything right then there would be no reason to buy anything else. I have driven M cars and porsches, all great and all bring something unique to the table. it just depends on what you are looking for and feel comfortable controlling.

what vehicle do you think you will own next?

shchow
05-03-10, 03:30 PM
Nice!
I just picked up my CTS-V 5/1/2010 (Picks forthcoming...)
I also came from an M5.
IMHO, the interior on the CTS is much nicer than the M5.
It was down to the E63 (w212) or the Caddy. It came down to the fact that MB stopped production for 2010 model year couple of months ago, and the fact that LSD does not come standard for the E63, drove me to the CTS-V.
So far I love the exhaust note on the Caddy. I don't know what the reviews were talking about when they said the exhaust is muted...

thebigjimsho
05-03-10, 07:56 PM
Nice!
I just picked up my CTS-V 5/1/2010 (Picks forthcoming...)
I also came from an M5.
IMHO, the interior on the CTS is much nicer than the M5.
It was down to the E63 (w212) or the Caddy. It came down to the fact that MB stopped production for 2010 model year couple of months ago, and the fact that LSD does not come standard for the E63, drove me to the CTS-V.
So far I love the exhaust note on the Caddy. I don't know what the reviews were talking about when they said the exhaust is muted...
Welcome! It seemed a little muted to me so I added headers...

liqidvenom
05-03-10, 08:20 PM
you have headers on your v2 jim?

thebigjimsho
05-03-10, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I bought Kooks from Luke back in January and had then shipped to Behe. I had the V at Behe and had headers, Lingenfelter 10% overdrive pulley and intake tube w/ a tune.

Too much power... :bouncy:

DrumStix
05-03-10, 08:43 PM
Far too much.

Razorecko
05-03-10, 09:42 PM
=) exhausts get louder as they are broken in. Mine with 16k miles on it sounds like a performance exhaust

liqidvenom
05-03-10, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I bought Kooks from Luke back in January and had then shipped to Behe. I had the V at Behe and had headers, Lingenfelter 10% overdrive pulley and intake tube w/ a tune.

Too much power... :bouncy:

:scurred:

gnxs
05-04-10, 10:11 AM
=) exhausts get louder as they are broken in. Mine with 16k miles on it sounds like a performance exhaust
Same here. :thumbsup:

Gotham CTS-V
05-04-10, 04:47 PM
Bro, we BOTH have (had) black M5, CTSV, and Porsche Turbo Cabs! You must be like my twin or something haha.

If you need a good detailer/hand wash, give me a PM and I'll give you a hookup. I'll keep an eye out 4 the black V. Congrats on the purchase and I'll probably see you around.

M5DriverNY
05-04-10, 10:43 PM
Bro, we BOTH have (had) black M5, CTSV, and Porsche Turbo Cabs! You must be like my twin or something haha.

If you need a good detailer/hand wash, give me a PM and I'll give you a hookup. I'll keep an eye out 4 the black V. Congrats on the purchase and I'll probably see you around.

Nice lets get together in the next few days for sure.

M5DriverNY
05-04-10, 10:46 PM
D3 Upgrades done and I love it even more. I will make a different post regarding the feedback.

Awesome car hands down. I was at the shop today when they were doing it, just busting chops since its across from my office. I was shocked to see the suspension design and all the aluminum extrusions and castings. I still cant get over its a GM. It can only get better from here if they keep this up.

So far my only complaint are some interior rattles which appear to be from the double sun roof. its a bit annoying to hear with such low miles which i may address to the dealer or now. I doubt they can fix rattles most techs just dont care to really find them and fix them.

commander112
05-05-10, 07:04 AM
D3 Upgrades done and I love it even more. I will make a different post regarding the feedback.

Awesome car hands down. I was at the shop today when they were doing it, just busting chops since its across from my office. I was shocked to see the suspension design and all the aluminum extrusions and castings. I still cant get over its a GM. It can only get better from here if they keep this up.

So far my only complaint are some interior rattles which appear to be from the double sun roof. its a bit annoying to hear with such low miles which i may address to the dealer or now. I doubt they can fix rattles most techs just dont care to really find them and fix them.

There are a few sources of the noise from the sunroof. the most common of them is the trim ring. The dealer has a few service bulletins on how to address these noises. I had taken my car in twice to get these noises taken car of but after just a few days they would return. Then I read of an owner her simply using electrical tape and tried it myself. So far no noise. Save yourself a trip to the dealer and do this test:
1) remove trim ring by simply starting at the front edge and pulling it aft to release the clips and work your way around the roof. No tools needed and it may take about a minute to remove.
2) drive that car around for the day and listen.
3) if noise is gone you know what issue you have.
4) apply electrical tape all the way around the trim ring and on the flanges of the trim ring.
5) re-install and go on with life. Spend the hours saved by not chasing to the dealer enjoying your car.

Razorecko
05-05-10, 11:19 AM
Press on the plastic trim liner for the sunroof. Mine was making noise and when i pressed it in all the way around I found out that 2-3 sections weren't clipped in from the factory,.

M5DriverNY
05-05-10, 09:21 PM
Time for me to chime in more. The interior is creaking like crazy its sad the car is not even a week old.

I hear rattles from the dash, doors and roof area. Also my driver seat lower slide out bolster creaks and I think my seat is moving when I corner hard.

My Camaro is 100% tighter in ride and I don't have a single interior rattle.

In the CTSV no matter what part of the interior you touch or put any pressure on it makes noise. Its just poor choice of plastic cast materials I think.

Totally bummed. I doubt a dealer would really fix all of these creaks. Its honestly starting to annoy me. Its reminding me of my Classic cars but its expected in a 40-50 year old time machine not a state of the art modern car.

cbloveday
05-05-10, 10:18 PM
These conditions have been repeatedly brought up and some solutions been povided.

Did you end up buying your V or leasing it? Orginally you said you were looking to lease, but now you are modding.

I am looking into a 430 scuderia or a Lotus for tracking. I am sure either will annoy me over time as well. Good luck chasing down the creaks

05-07-10, 06:05 AM
Time for me to chime in more. The interior is creaking like crazy its sad the car is not even a week old.

I hear rattles from the dash, doors and roof area. Also my driver seat lower slide out bolster creaks and I think my seat is moving when I corner hard.

In the CTSV no matter what part of the interior you touch or put any pressure on it makes noise. Its just poor choice of plastic cast materials I think.

Totally bummed. I doubt a dealer would really fix all of these creaks. Its honestly starting to annoy me. Its reminding me of my Classic cars but its expected in a 40-50 year old time machine not a state of the art modern car.

just for my curiosity, are you driving it into the city, or do you stick around the bucolic suburbs? Mine too is a week old (10 days, actually), driven mainly on smooth roads and highways, only 500 miles so far, but still feeling quiet and tight.

garfin
05-07-10, 08:37 AM
just for my curiosity, are you driving it into the city, or do you stick around the bucolic suburbs? Mine too is a week old (10 days, actually), driven mainly on smooth roads and highways, only 500 miles so far, but still feeling quiet and tight.

I've had mine now for 9 weeks and it's as tight as a drum - sunroof included.
I haven't been beating on it during the break-in process (got about 2000 km. on it - another 400 to go) and it came from the factory with absolutely 0 flaws or issues. I'm a pretty happy camper at this point!:thumbsup:

Best regards,

Elie

shchow
05-07-10, 12:50 PM
I've had mine about a week now and no creaks or rattles...

DrumStix
05-07-10, 01:10 PM

I have had a couple pretty bad creaks in the drivers seat. My dealer has one tech that he allows to work on CTS-V's and he takes his job seriously. Within 15 minutes he brought the car back out both times and completely silenced the creaks. It's fixable. I haven't heard anything in months. I think there are some tight tolerances with difference materials mated together that settle and cause the issue. For me, it was an easy fix and has had no lasting affect on how I feel about the car.

thebigjimsho
05-08-10, 05:02 PM
My '09 is over 13k miles and the only rattle I've ever had was the pass through door in the back seat when I had the stereo way up. I put the armrest up and it's gone. Nothing else.

camls3
05-11-10, 04:06 PM
love your camaro. you have very nice cars and in the best color.

thebigjimsho
05-11-10, 05:47 PM
Thank you.

cbloveday
05-11-10, 06:09 PM
No thank you! :)

thebigjimsho
05-11-10, 07:12 PM
Yes please! :cloud9:

up4speed
05-12-10, 11:44 AM
M5DriverNY
I'm also in NY, I live on Long Island. I need a very honest opinion from you. I am looking into buying a new sports sedan in the next few months and the CTS-V is on the short list because the performance numbers are very convincing. My only worry is that I am VERY sensitive to creaks and rattles. For an example I also have Porsche and I had a slight ticking/rattle from the soft top and I spent DAYS on trying to quiet it up! I almost decided to sell the car for that reason alone!! So my question is: Should I avoid the CTS-V or should I hope I'm one of the owners with no rattles, or one of the owners with fixable rattles? I'm also a little suspicious that the people with no rattles may actually have them, but not be sensitive to them like I am and never hear them. What do you think? be honest......Is the car worth risking or not? If not, what car would you recommend that would be fast, comfortable, quiet and good quality for under $75K (if it even exists)
Thanks,
Chris

commander112
05-12-10, 01:27 PM
M5DriverNY
I'm also in NY, I live on Long Island. I need a very honest opinion from you. I am looking into buying a new sports sedan in the next few months and the CTS-V is on the short list because the performance numbers are very convincing. My only worry is that I am VERY sensitive to creaks and rattles. For an example I also have Porsche and I had a slight ticking/rattle from the soft top and I spent DAYS on trying to quiet it up! I almost decided to sell the car for that reason alone!! So my question is: Should I avoid the CTS-V or should I hope I'm one of the owners with no rattles, or one of the owners with fixable rattles? I'm also a little suspicious that the people with no rattles may actually have them, but not be sensitive to them like I am and never hear them. What do you think? be honest......Is the car worth risking or not? If not, what car would you recommend that would be fast, comfortable, quiet and good quality for under $75K (if it even exists)
Thanks,
Chris

Please allow me to speak for M5, save up more sheckles and buy a German car (not that they are really any better, as my old 5 series made noises too). You won't be satisfied just like M5 appears not to be. It seems that a certain percentage of the population still feels that the American product is not up to the level of the foreign brands when, in reality, that old stereotype has died years ago. If you are coming into the experience with the mindset that the product, dealer or service is inferior you are doomed to be an unhappy buyer. Now, if you come into the process with the mindset that the car will deliver upon the promise of great performance at a reasonable price with acceptable build quality you may just find that you will be happy behind the wheel of the finest American sedan to date.
I am also pretty sensitive to creaks, rattles and in general things that are out of order (in other words "anal"). I love my V and now that I have quieted down the noise from the sunroof trim ring can live with the few other sounds as they are not right above my ear. The car does "talk" to you sometimes though. I will say that our huge 2010 Dodge Ram pickup without a sunroof is totally silent and makes no interior noises at all at 6300 miles on it.
I don't know what it is but every car I drive with a sunroof makes more noise. I do get to drive a fair amount of rental cars a month and can say that even cheaper rentals without sunroofs are simply more solid sounding and quieter than their counterparts with sunroofs. That said, I want a sunroof on my car but also want it to be quiet. I find that when I get a loaner CTS, STS or SRX without a roof the cars in general are quiet like a library but there is something about cutting that hole in the roof that makes all the difference in the world.

Razorecko
05-12-10, 02:16 PM
my old jeep srt8 was silent as a graveyard. My V creaks and croaks and squeeks. It is what it is. Nothing can be perfect.

gnxs
05-12-10, 02:17 PM
Up4speed,

It sounds like you might be better off passing on the "V".

up4speed
05-12-10, 02:23 PM
commander,
Thanks for the reply. I am glad that you are sensitive to noises as well, it makes your advice MUCH more credible. I already have come to the conclusion that if I did go with the V, I would pass on the sunroof being that most sound issues that I've read on here are related to the sunroof. If I want open air driving, I'll just drive my convertible. I unfortunately have been one of those guys that have been bitten several times by american cars and swore off american cars. That is of course until the Pontiac G8 came out, that was the first american car in a while that I would have purchased (actually it's Austrian), too bad they stopped making it, the GXP was a great deal and nice looking! then came the new CTS-V which is an absolute monster, georgous, and the best american car ever made to date (in my eyes of course). That is why I am willing to maybe give them another chance. I've had many cars, the american ones that I've had definitely looked great, but I can safely say that the build quality or feel did not even come close to the Germans or the Japanese that I've owned. I would be buying this car because I WANT it, not because I need it, I have plenty of cars. I was just looking to buy myself a nice gift and not a headache! Please give me input on this. I really want this car, but I think I need that reassurance that these creaks and rattles I read about are part of the minority and not the majority. I sold a Vette that I had in the past because of rattles that annoyed me. I live in a place with very imperfect roads and a rattle can grate at my nerves in a day or two! I want to make an informed choice and not a choice because the salesperson tells me it's a great car, or the car magazines telling me it's great based on performance. I already know all that stuff, now I want to know is it going to be a car I can live with on a daily basis or is going to pi** me off enough to sell it and take a 20K loss? Please help!!!

up4speed
05-12-10, 02:26 PM
GNXS,
Please give me a recommendation. Are there any cars that would fit what I am looking for? I realize that they are not going to be as fast, but I'm willing to give up 1 second to 60mph to get a rattle free car.

Razorecko,
I realize nothing can be perfect, but I would like it to be pretty darn close. For example, my fathers LS460 is absolutely SILENT. It IS PERFECT for what it was designed to do, obviously I want performance, so that is not the right car for me, but I hope you understand what I am asking for........basically a CTSV with the quality interior of a Lexus! Am I asking too much?

Razorecko
05-12-10, 02:41 PM
GNXS,
Please give me a recommendation. Are there any cars that would fit what I am looking for? I realize that they are not going to be as fast, but I'm willing to give up 1 second to 60mph to get a rattle free car.

Razorecko,
I realize nothing can be perfect, but I would like it to be pretty darn close. For example, my fathers LS460 is absolutely SILENT. It IS PERFECT for what it was designed to do, obviously I want performance, so that is not the right car for me, but I hope you understand what I am asking for........basically a CTSV with the quality interior of a Lexus! Am I asking too much?

I noticed that the v's are hit or miss. You either get a nice quiet one or a loud one but the fact is its almost always louder in the summer. So if its quiet in the summer it should be good. I bought mine in the winter and in the summer it made more noticeable noise

gnxs
05-12-10, 02:50 PM
GNXS,

I don't have direct knowledge of every car that might be on your perspective wish list, but I do know from a multitude of posts/threads on this forum that this car could very well exceed your threshold for noises. Here's one I contributed my own experience to a while back that might be of interest to you (from a research perspective):

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/192024-fit-finish-quality-issues.html

The OP starts off with Fit and Finish issues, but the thread evolves to include rattles, noises, etc. There have been many discussions on these types of subjects here that you can search on. Then again, the are many threads of a similar nature on the M5board, the MB/AMG boards, etc., so I'm not really sure what kind of car would meet your standards in this area (it's hard to get a feel from just one post on your part).

I'm not nearly as sensitive as alot of people to the little issues I may need to fix on this car. For me the capability/price point combination on the "V" allows me to overlook some minor correctable issues I may need to address. However, when I saw your post, specifically:

My only worry is that I am VERY sensitive to creaks and rattles. For an example I also have Porsche and I had a slight ticking/rattle from the soft top and I spent DAYS on trying to quiet it up! I almost decided to sell the car for that reason alone!!

....I surmised that you very well could get a car that exceeded your self-admitted low tolerance for creaks, groans, rattles, noises, etc. Hence my suggestion that you might want to pass on the "V".

commander112
05-12-10, 02:52 PM
up4speed,
I live in Detroit where we have perhaps the worst roads in the country (far worse than Long Island as I used to live in East Hampton/Manhattan) so I can say that our roads will bring out the worst in a car quickly. This said, the build quality and materials in a new CTS-V far exceeds that of a Corvette (owned two C4's) and anything that the big three has made in years past. Don't let the ghosts in the closet of past big three product cloud your impression of what they have been building in recent years. In my opinion (pretty in tune with all things automotive if I do say so myself-my automobile company friends put their upcoming product in my hands often so I can give them my opinion) and my wife's opinion (who is not at all in tune with this stuff), the American stuff is currently better than the competing foreign stuff. We rented a Camry out in California a few months ago and she even commented on the road noise and rattles. Dollar for dollar a Ford Fusion or Chevy Malibu is a much nicer and better built car these days than the Camry period.
Let me make this suggestion to you, go to your local caddy store and test drive a well equipped USED CTS without a sunroof. Ignore the equipment and the power but listen to the car, get a feel for the interior (make sure it has the pop-up nav since some have heard noises from theirs). See if you can live with it. If the car lives up to your build quality standards step to the plate and drive a V.
Does my car make a noise here and there? Yes. However, the noises are far enough removed that they do not bother me. If they did bother me I'd track them down and fix them (I'm quite confident it can be done with a minimum of effort). I find that when I let a dealer fix a noise they fix one and create one when replacing the panels.

up4speed
05-12-10, 03:37 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to answer to my "fears" lol. It looks like a test drive is in order for me. Since I am in no rush to order this car, I like the idea of test driving one in the summer that is a few years old.
I don't want you guys to attack/laugh at me, but does anyone have any experience with the new Infinity M56? I looked at the interior and it is absolutely beautiful. It has over 400hp so it's not too shabby, not even close to the V though. I have had pretty good luck with Nissans in the past, but I wonder if the M56 would have "issues" as well? I prefer the looks of the V though. I think it looks more timeless and more aggressive.

up4speed
05-12-10, 04:08 PM
Just an additional thought. Is there a pattern of vehicles that have these rattle issues vs. the ones that don't? Such as production dates. Are there any problems with the 2010's rattling or are those issues only with the earlier production 2009's?

Also even more important. Did anyone have any rattle issues that were not fixable? If these issues are all fixable, it wouldn't bother me as much and I would be more likely to purchase. I have had cars in the past with noise issues that were not fixable because nobody could find the source of the noise. Those had to be sold for noise issues alone! I may be a little crazy and anal.....but hey I'm just being honest.

JFJr
05-12-10, 04:56 PM
Are there any problems with the 2010's rattling or are those issues only with the earlier production 2009's?My 2009 was built in 12/08 and is not noisy. Initially, I experienced a faint "rattle" coming from the rear package tray/speaker area and some front wheel clicking, both of which were fixed over a year ago under TSB's. Occasionally, I might hear a slight amount of noise from the sunroof when it's hot outside, but it's not persistent. (My 2005 CTS-V's sunroof never made any noise.) I would expect the "V" to be more prone to some minor noises than the standard CTS because of the higher g-loads the body is subjected to under aggressive driving, due to much greater torque and cornering capability. You have to be realistic about these things at the price point you are interested in. You know where most of the money was spent.

mbshoe
05-12-10, 06:05 PM
My 2009, build 12/08 is full of rattles. Sunroof, package shelf, dashboard sometimes. Plus, any time I drive over the lip at the end of a driveway, especially if at an angle as I turn right onto a street, everything creaks as the body flexes. All you have to do is push anywhere on the console, and you can hear squeaking from the joints. The package shelf is so loud, it's embarrassing.

I fully admit I haven't given a dealer the chance to address the sunroof or package shelf. Too many horror stories of incompetent dealers (I really liked the one that helpfully rotated the wheels without noticing they aren't the same size).

upland, you likely aren't going to be happy, so save yourself the hassle. You're going into this expecting problems, and that's what will happen. Am I disappointed? Sure, my 2000 Audi A6 with 129,000 miles is still solid as a rock with nary a peep. Am I happy I got a rip-snorting vehicle that's the most fun I've ever had on four-wheels at a price the Germans can't even begin to touch (and other than M5 can't even offer in the US with a manual transmission)? Absolutely! Would I do it again? Absolutely!

It's a bummer that my car makes so much noise. But, life isn't perfect. If a few squeaks are the worst complaint I have 5 years from now, I will be a very happy camper. In the meantime, I hope that Caddy learns how to build an interior without having hard pieces of plastic touching each other.

digital1021
05-12-10, 06:18 PM
GNXS,

Razorecko,

The BMW's and Merc's rattle an creak just like the CTS-V. Some more than others, some not at all.

I think you would be better served by the Lexus IS-F. Sure, its not as fast, or as quick, nor does it handle as well, but it has a Lexus quality interior. So when it develops rattles or squeaks, you know you have squeaks befitting Lexus quality.

Just my 2 cents, I have seen these posts before, you will not be happy with the car. If you are this concerned about possible rattles now, you will be looking for them from the first day you get the car.

~ Matt M.

P.S. Drive a V if you can, then go drive the M3/M5, the C63/E63, and the IS-F. And have a good time.

CIWS
05-12-10, 06:24 PM
I don't want you guys to attack/laugh at me, but does anyone have any experience with the new Infinity M56?

I went and looked one over and test drove it. Lots of technology, better than the V in gadgets. The one I looked at was a Sport model and it drove really well. It is no V when it comes to HP, but still quick for a good sized sedan. Things I noted I liked, sport package came with 20" wheels/tires (Bridgestone Potenza) and had a donut spare in the back. Fitted sport seats and paddle shifters. Any of its technology could be turned off in the options if you didn't want it in use. (adaptive cruise,etc) and I could stream music from my Droid via the bluetooth as well as connect the phone. Plus it's one of the few 400+ HP sedans with available AWD.

up4speed
05-12-10, 08:12 PM
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but do you guys think that the new 2010's or even the early 2011's will have the tsb's applied right at the factory? If so, then I shouldn't have to worry about the rear shelf, rims clicking etc. correct?

jfjr, I do realize that the money went towards the performance items, and I do expect them to save money in some spots. I don't mind if they use some cheap parts on the interior to save money, or if they are not accurate to the mm as long as they don't make noise!! however, I would definitely be willing to spend a good amount more for the car in order to have a high quality interior.

Matt M, you bet your a** that I am going to listen for noises that don't belong, no matter what car I buy!! even if it's a Hyundai, which, by the way have silent creak free interiors......no kidding, a have a few friends with them and I also drove the new Genesis and it is tight as a drum! kind of sad but true. Not a bad car, great for the money but it doesn't do 0-60 in 3.9 ;)
Matt as far as the other cars you mentioned, there are reasons that I eliminated those in my final few. The M3 is an awesome car, but they have their own quality issues, more important though, the back seat is way too small. The M5 size is good, but the price is a little higher than I wanted (I still may break on that one though) The IS-F same thing about back seat being useless. Mercedes, I love the look and feel, but I know too many people with a rediculous amount of problems! These are the reasons I am down to the bullet proof V!

CIWS, How was the handling and ride of the M56 compared to the V? I know the V handles better and of course faster, but how did the M56 steering / brakes etc. feel? (use Porsche or BMW as a benchmark) It's going to be my "family car" that I use every day. If I want to race around I can still use my sports car. I don't need it to be the baddest sedan on this planet! although that would be nice...LOL

JFJr
05-12-10, 08:33 PM
u4speed, we've tried to lay it out for you, but you won't be happy with the "V," it's too much raw performance for you. Buy the Infiniti.

digital1021
05-12-10, 09:06 PM
Sorry if I came off wrong, but my point is that if you start out looking for problems in any car you will find them. I don't care if it's a Genisis, LS460, or a Rolls Royce. they all have issues if you look hard enough.

The V is very well built, any very reliable. It is a car that is perfectly happy on the streets and on the track. Few cars can make that claim, even fewer that have reliablity of the V. The drivetrain is all but bulletproof, and the electronics are well sorted. The interior has the potental for problems, but those problems aren't poor build quality, just the chance for the noise of two tight trim pieces rubbing together.

I feel that your doing yourself a disservice if you don't go and drive one. If the M56 is more to your needs, then that is the car you should get. However, it isn't in the same leauge as the V, and as such you shouldn't expect it to be as capable.

Best regards,

~ Matt M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

up4speed
05-12-10, 11:11 PM
u4speed, we've tried to lay it out for you, but you won't be happy with the "V," it's too much raw performance for you. Buy the Infiniti.

There is no such thing as "too much performance", but there is such thing as too many rattles! all kidding aside I've always had fast cars, not quite like the V though. I definitely have to give it a chance with a test drive before I make a final decision.

DelawareDave
05-13-10, 08:40 AM
I have a 2010 V auto and in the last three years I have had an E63, C63, M5, RS4 and a e90 M3 . . . .I also had a 09 V 6 spd manual with no recaros . . . . . you can email me at dcrowley@pettinaro.com if you want any in depth takes. My 2010 V does not have any creaks or rattles but I bought it used with 5K on the clock . . . .I do not have a problem buying used if the car checks out . . . .I did score the E63 last Sept for $67K new. It listed at $94K . . . . so you can buy a number of cars in the price range you mentioned new . . .

Some cars I only kept a few months and some a year but none of them creaked or rattled including both V's.

Your problem with noise is real to you so . . . shut up . . .turn the tunes up and hang on does not apply . . . .you are right about want and not the need . . . . so be 100% when you pull the trigger

DC

"When Parts Exceed The Whole . . . .You Have ModFever!"

thatcoder
05-13-10, 08:44 AM
DelawareDave, can i ask a question about the 2 Vs? Why did u go from an 09 to 10?

CIWS
05-13-10, 09:12 AM
CIWS, How was the handling and ride of the M56 compared to the V? I know the V handles better and of course faster, but how did the M56 steering / brakes etc. feel? (use Porsche or BMW as a benchmark) It's going to be my "family car" that I use every day. If I want to race around I can still use my sports car. I don't need it to be the baddest sedan on this planet! although that would be nice...LOL

I didn't beat it to death because I wasn't ready to buy yet, but I did give it a good run around the blocks checking handling, acceleration, shifting smoothness, etc and the various tech gagetry. It is a well designed and built vehicle. However as with each individual I would recommend going and driving one for yourself, especially a sport model with the larger wheels, brakes, better suspension, and 4 wheel steering and see how You feel it is. I didn't get to try an AWD as there were none around this area. Most seem to be up north when they checked stock.

DrumStix
05-13-10, 09:27 AM
There is no such thing as "too much performance", but there is such thing as too many rattles! all kidding aside I've always had fast cars, not quite like the V though. I definitely have to give it a chance with a test drive before I make a final decision.

Stop being a ***** and drop your murse. You seriously can't handle/fix a little rattle here and there under warranty to get the car you want? "OMG, what if the console makes a squeak!!! Egads!!" This prima donna stuff pisses me off. Either you want the contents of the product based on its' merits or you need an appliance type auto... ergo the Infiniti.

That was fun.

up4speed
05-13-10, 12:26 PM
Drumstix,
Ok, i did not come here to start a war, so I'm not going to fall into your silly comments. But I also refuse to plunk down $70K on a car that annoys me. Just to make things clear, this is not prima donna stuff that I am talking about. As stated in my previous posts I'm actually ok with other places that they skimp in order to give that performance at a great price.......I don't think that asking too much for it to be as rattle, creak and pop free as a cheap Hyundai! Again, I do realize that I am a little unreasonable with my reaction to noises on cars. Just so you can get an idea of how I feel. Either sit in a restaurant and try to enjoy your dinner with a screaming baby at the next table (and before you say anything, yes I had kids, and I would take them out of the restaurant if they did this), or just scratch your nails on a chalk board. That's how bad it is for me!! As deleware Dave said, I love the car, but I do wan't to be 100% sure before I buy, because I will have this car a while, and I want to enjoy it. I am not unreasonable, I'm not looking for Bentley quality interior etc. But I don't think it's too much for a manufacturer of "luxury" cars to add a little felt tape between plastic pieces, if consumers keep accepting this and making excuses, these things will never get fixed!
Now, my answer to: "You seriously can't handle/fix a little rattle here and there". If you read my prior post. I don't have too much of a problem as long as they ARE FIXABLE. I have run into rattles and creaks in the past that were not fixable, and that is back to the crying baby / chalkboard incident. So as to not drag this any longer than necessary. I need to know, did anyone have ANY rattles or creaks or itching or popping noises that they COULD NOT fix? That makes a big difference for me because if they were all fixable I will most likely take the plunge. If they weren't I still have some soul searching to do. Thanks again,
Chris

liqidvenom
05-13-10, 12:30 PM
Stop being a ***** and drop your murse. You seriously can't handle/fix a little rattle here and there under warranty to get the car you want? "OMG, what if the console makes a squeak!!! Egads!!" This prima donna stuff pisses me off. Either you want the contents of the product based on its' merits or you need an appliance type auto... ergo the Infiniti.

That was fun.

this is the same forum where people complained about a wheel clicking? and also complained about rattles from the blower assy?

hey if you like driving a car which has fit and finish issue thats on you, but dont get mad at people when they point it out or ask for peoples honest advise on it. it is a legit concern. more so since the majority of people who posted here have issues with noises.

DelawareDave
05-13-10, 12:43 PM
Thatcoder

I bought my first V2 in December of 2008 new and sold it in June of 2009 . . . .it had everything but the recaros . . . .I thought I would be able to retro fit the seats easily and did not have much luck . . . .I sold it and scored something else . . .I pulled the trigger on the 2010 auto because I knew the seller and saved about $6K off the reduced new price . . . .have several other manual cars so I thought I would give the auto a try . . . .If I got the manual V with recaros to begin with I would prob still have it.

I think the manual and the recaros is the way to go jus my 2 on it.

Oh Yeah and other reason is I have a serious car problem . . . . .

M5DriverNY may not have his V in the garage anymore by the time this thread is done because I believe he may have a car problem also . . . .

DC

"When Parts Exceed The Whole . . . .You Have ModFever!"

Caddyscat
05-13-10, 01:52 PM
My V has 556 Hp, Recaros, seats 5 people, It's fast as hell, the engine makes noise when I stomp the gas pedal and you don't hear me complaining.
All cars make noise for Christ's sake! ENOUGH ALREADY! I didn't buy the car on the notion it would be noise free, It has a crapload of torque, that's why I bought it! You don't buy the worlds fastest 4 door sedan and complain about noise. Silliness. Turn the music up if the squeaks bother you!

DrumStix
05-13-10, 02:18 PM
Drumstix,
Ok, i did not come here to start a war, so I'm not going to fall into your silly comments. But I also refuse to plunk down $70K on a car that annoys me. Just to make things clear, this is not prima donna stuff that I am talking about. As stated in my previous posts I'm actually ok with other places that they skimp in order to give that performance at a great price.......I don't think that asking too much for it to be as rattle, creak and pop free as a cheap Hyundai! Again, I do realize that I am a little unreasonable with my reaction to noises on cars. Just so you can get an idea of how I feel. Either sit in a restaurant and try to enjoy your dinner with a screaming baby at the next table (and before you say anything, yes I had kids, and I would take them out of the restaurant if they did this), or just scratch your nails on a chalk board. That's how bad it is for me!! As deleware Dave said, I love the car, but I do wan't to be 100% sure before I buy, because I will have this car a while, and I want to enjoy it. I am not unreasonable, I'm not looking for Bentley quality interior etc. But I don't think it's too much for a manufacturer of "luxury" cars to add a little felt tape between plastic pieces, if consumers keep accepting this and making excuses, these things will never get fixed!
Now, my answer to: "You seriously can't handle/fix a little rattle here and there". If you read my prior post. I don't have too much of a problem as long as they ARE FIXABLE. I have run into rattles and creaks in the past that were not fixable, and that is back to the crying baby / chalkboard incident. So as to not drag this any longer than necessary. I need to know, did anyone have ANY rattles or creaks or itching or popping noises that they COULD NOT fix? That makes a big difference for me because if they were all fixable I will most likely take the plunge. If they weren't I still have some soul searching to do. Thanks again,
Chris

Silly? Nah, just a reality check. The car you order might have a squeak or rattle, it might not. It's also man made so it is fixable. Anything on a car can be dealt with, it just might take a shop visit or two and a couple bucks to iron it out. Hyundai's may not creak and pop but they also don't have any stones or create the kinda torque our cars do on components.

DrumStix
05-13-10, 02:24 PM
this is the same forum where people complained about a wheel clicking? and also complained about rattles from the blower assy?

hey if you like driving a car which has fit and finish issue thats on you, but dont get mad at people when they point it out or ask for peoples honest advise on it. it is a legit concern. more so since the majority of people who posted here have issues with noises.

Maybe I just have more patience to work though such minor issues. I also pointed out the paint chipping behind the CHMSL. Big deal. Fix it. Don't "get mad" at me for not wanting this place to turn into CF. :bouncy:

DrumStix
05-13-10, 02:26 PM
My V has 556 Hp, Recaros, seats 5 people, It's fast as hell, the engine makes noise when I stomp the gas pedal and you don't hear me complaining.
All cars make noise for Christ's sake! ENOUGH ALREADY! I didn't buy the car on the notion it would be noise free, It has a crapload of torque, that's why I bought it! You don't buy the worlds fastest 4 door sedan and complain about noise. Silliness. Turn the music up if the squeaks bother you!

"Don't get mad" at them.

up4speed
05-13-10, 05:18 PM

First of all, there is "good" noise and there is "bad" noise. I only like "good" noise.
Second, not the fastest any more:
http://www.insideline.com/porsche/panamera/2010/nurburgring-2010-porsche-panamera-turbo-unofficially-takes-crown-as-fastest-sedan.html

Panamera has it beat by 3 seconds at Nurburgring!! I do like the Panamera better, but I don't want to spend that much on a car right now.

up4speed
05-13-10, 05:36 PM
Silly? Nah, just a reality check. The car you order might have a squeak or rattle, it might not. It's also man made so it is fixable. Anything on a car can be dealt with, it just might take a shop visit or two and a couple bucks to iron it out. Hyundai's may not creak and pop but they also don't have any stones or create the kinda torque our cars do on components.

If anything is fixable, please come over and help me fix the creak from the soft top of my convertible that I can't fix, and is still driving me a little bezerk. I asked the Porsche dealer and got the "they all do that" response. Not the answer I was looking for. Also not the answer I am looking for if I get the V. Like I said, if all the issues mentioned, are in fact fixable, then I will be more accepting of minor flaws.

"Hyundai's may not creak and pop but they also don't have any stones or create the kinda torque our cars do on components"

True, but the chassis is designed to handle the power that they DO have. Back when I was younger and had a Mustang GT, guys were working the engines to pump out more HP and as a result were twisting the unibody and the doors would not shut properly! Fast? yes, would I do that to my car? Never. I will happily take the "slower" Mustang GT that I had, that is still useable, reliable and rattle free. I hope you see my point. If not, you will never understand quality control, engineering and precision, and no matter what I say you will not understand how I feel. Not once did I bash anyone here for willingness to accept flaws and substandard workmanship in order to get breathtaking performance at a great price. I would feel much better and also value your opinions (which is why I came here in the first place) if you can see my needs in this car as well. I am not looking for perfection at that price, I just want to make sure I am willing to accept it's "character flaws" before I plunk down $70K.

dqw1
05-13-10, 05:40 PM
Here we go again...

Seattle CTS-V
05-13-10, 06:14 PM
My '05 Cayenne Turbo has this annoying rattle under the center console that pops up all the time and it drives me crazy. I also get a random squeak from the passenger front door. This thing cost (the first owner) over $100k!

digital1021
05-13-10, 07:34 PM
While the Panamera is cool from an engineering stand point, and I have heard they drive surprisingly well, the Panamera that beat the CTS-V was a fully optioned Turbo S with Sports Crono and Ceramic Breaks. If I remember correctly that puts it at about $145K. No one will argue that the car is quicker around the ring, from 0-60, 0-100, or the 1/4 mile, I believe there was some proof about a month ago that the V was quicker to 0-150 and 65-130 buy 2-4 seconds.

I think we have told you about all we can, I believe its time you go test drive one. We can sit here for the next two weeks, talking about it, but if you don't go look at them there is no point to any of it. The wheel clicking is fixed with a TSB, it should have been taken care of on the 2010-2011 cars. If the dealer took the wheels off for any reason and didn't retorque the wheels appropriately, the TSB might need to be done again. Sun Roof creaks, there was a batch of bad rails, some of them where replace on owners cars to fix the problem. On other cars its just the trim around the Sun Roof isn't fully seated. Most if not all of the creaks can be fixed with a trip to the dealer. If you notice there are some people on our board that have creaks in the car, but haven't ever tried to take it to the dealer. Some of the more remote areas have some dealers that aren't really aware of the car and what it is.

~ Matt M.

DrumStix
05-13-10, 09:47 PM
If anything is fixable, please come over and help me fix the creak from the soft top of my convertible that I can't fix, and is still driving me a little bezerk. I asked the Porsche dealer and got the "they all do that" response. Not the answer I was looking for. Also not the answer I am looking for if I get the V. Like I said, if all the issues mentioned, are in fact fixable, then I will be more accepting of minor flaws.

"Hyundai's may not creak and pop but they also don't have any stones or create the kinda torque our cars do on components"

True, but the chassis is designed to handle the power that they DO have. Back when I was younger and had a Mustang GT, guys were working the engines to pump out more HP and as a result were twisting the unibody and the doors would not shut properly! Fast? yes, would I do that to my car? Never. I will happily take the "slower" Mustang GT that I had, that is still useable, reliable and rattle free. I hope you see my point. If not, you will never understand quality control, engineering and precision, and no matter what I say you will not understand how I feel. Not once did I bash anyone here for willingness to accept flaws and substandard workmanship in order to get breathtaking performance at a great price. I would feel much better and also value your opinions (which is why I came here in the first place) if you can see my needs in this car as well. I am not looking for perfection at that price, I just want to make sure I am willing to accept it's "character flaws" before I plunk down $70K.

Drumstix understands quality control, precision and all that jazz. I'm detail oriented ALMOST to a flaw and I would hate chasing new creaks and rattles every Saturday morning. That said I've learned to work on stuff and chase down issues.
Sounds like even German engineering has let you down. To me, a little white lithium on the contact points just might do the trick. Do all the guys on the poche forum complain of the same squeak? Search for a dealer that gives a crap.

I had a 5.0 making 800 HP and no squeaks. The precision engineering solution was a $100 set of subframe connectors to hold down a 357ci, 17 lbs of boost and 150 shot.

shchow
05-13-10, 09:58 PM
It's only a car, for christ's sake...
Those of us fortunate enough to "sample" different cars will be able to add to their collective experience and call themselves "enthusiasts".
This is by no means a permanent relationship.
This is like deciding which movie you want to watch. You read some reviews from critics you trust and then actually go and see the movie and then decide if you liked it or not.
Get the CTS-V and formulate your own opinion.

up4speed
05-14-10, 03:47 AM
To the last 4 posts, you all pretty much have a good point. Thanks again for all the input. Time for a test drive to see if I like it.
At this point, I'll assume that if the car has issues, they are fixable.

Razorecko
05-14-10, 10:10 AM
I have noticed that from my 09 V to a loaner 2010 srx that the srx is using a harder plastic guage cluster surround. I think cadillac might be getting the idea about noise and fitament tolerance.

up4speed
05-14-10, 11:55 AM
"I have noticed that from my 09 V to a loaner 2010 srx that the srx is using a harder plastic guage cluster surround. I think cadillac might be getting the idea about noise and fitament tolerance. "

YESSSSS!!! :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Maybe we can be looking at THE PERFECT CAR in the near future. I would be willing to spend a few K extra for what I consider the perfect car for me. Unfortunately the perfect car changes from person to person. They will never please everyone.

I'm anxiously waiting for my local dealer to get one in for me to test drive.

Giants84
05-24-10, 08:12 AM
Hey hows it going, what dealer did you get the car from, cant use the pm's. Thanks.