: Seafoamed 07 escalade last night. Bit wierd IMO.

07maralade
05-01-10, 05:42 PM
Last night I bought a can of seafoam from autozone. I've done it to many of my previous cars before (around 5) but I thought when I did it to the escalade w/ 71.5k miles, it was a bit wierd.

I Unplugged the brake booster line and started her up. Like usual, it seems like its going to stall. I pour maybe 200mL into a cup for the booster to suck it up. I have my friend on the throttle. It sucks it up and the motor revs by itself (i thought it was my buddy but the whole time his foot was off the throttle). Halfway in the starts to knock, not the regular tick tick tick knock but a very loud explosion knock. Sounding like I was doing some damage. The engine was shaking bad in the mounts. I tell my friend to quickly shut her down to prevent any damage. The engine was still running for 3-5 seconds after he pulled the key out (wierd). A good amount of smoke is already out of the tail pipe. Wait for 15 minutes.

Start it up, not much smoke, not much more than a cold winter day. Drive around with some high revs. No codes. An hour later, my friend and I think that we didn't put enough since it's a 6.2L. Same process except this time it maybe sucked 50mL before it stalled. There was also a "service traction control" and also "service stabiltrak" error on the dash screen. Wait 15 min, start it up, no smoke. Drove around with really abrupt shifts.

I disconnected the battery for a few hours and seemed to wipe the service messages. I'm about to change the plugs now.

Anyone else experience this?

mark v.
05-01-10, 06:16 PM
what is seafoam and what is it supposed to do?

PreachRR
05-01-10, 06:40 PM
what is seafoam and what is it supposed to do?

intake and valve cleaner.. I think GM has a can of stuff that does this as well

SouthernCaddy
05-02-10, 03:24 PM
man, put it in the gas tank. never pour it straight into the engine. You could hydrolic it and cause alot of problems.

Rolex
05-03-10, 07:33 PM
man, put it in the gas tank. never pour it straight into the engine. You could hydrolic it and cause alot of problems.

That is incorrect. The product is made to pour into the fuel tank, into the crank case with the oil, and can be sucked up into a vacuum line to clean carbon off the intake.

SouthernCaddy
05-04-10, 07:00 PM
yes sucked up a small vaccum line, I believe he said brake booster which is large. If this is the case he is putting to much in at one time.

Ronin
05-04-10, 08:30 PM
HUGE fan of Seafoam, especially on direct injection motors. A nice small vacuum line is definitely the way go, with the motor running of course. I feed it until the motor just about stalls, let it catch back up to idle and then repeat until the can is empty. Let it soak a long arse time and enjoy the smoke show, increased throttle response and gas mileage, and get some lost power back...

trashguy
05-07-10, 06:20 AM
Any update on this ? Is it back to normal? Any improvements?

07maralade
05-08-10, 03:47 AM
Yep, back to normal. It doesn't shake as much at idle. I do understand a little bit of vibration for a 6.2L is normal but since I seafoamed it, it idles a bit better. There is still a slight vibration though.

I also put it in the oil. The oil was maybe 1500 miles old. I drove it for about 15 miles and it came out black!

No codes and my escalade rides normal.
Wouldn't recommend seafoam for any mechanically incompetent people though since a lot of things could go wrong.

Dobiesdaddy
07-12-10, 01:09 PM
intake and valve cleaner.. I think GM has a can of stuff that does this as well

Yes, they do and it works well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Hassmeister/IMG_0559.jpg

blackex
12-22-12, 08:39 PM
Reviving an old thread here. Just seafoamed my 2007 escalade and the engine started making a loud ticking noise right before I turned the key off after having most of the can sucked in through the brake booster line. I let it sit for about an hour and started it up and there was a very loud obnoxious ticking noise. I took it down the street and came back after giving it some gas and getting up to around 60mph. The ticking noise is still there and very annoying.. hoping I didn't mess something up with my engine now. Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping if I take it out for a longer drive it will eventually go away but no clue.

36dbldz
12-22-12, 11:17 PM
How often do you have to do this? If there is. Chance to wreck your engine is it better to pay to have it done. The express lube by me does it for 75 bucks and does it through vacuum hose as I did it on my company car, but I don't think the added anything to the oil.

Rolex
12-23-12, 09:22 AM
How often do you have to do this? If there is. Chance to wreck your engine is it better to pay to have it done. The express lube by me does it for 75 bucks and does it through vacuum hose as I did it on my company car, but I don't think the added anything to the oil.

Bring your Lade to me and I'll do it for you for $50. ;)

blackex
12-23-12, 04:36 PM
Noise is still present and sounds like a lifter ticking noise. Going to take it in to a local shop to see what they think.

P1R8SH1P
12-23-12, 07:02 PM
Do you get better results from adding it to the vaccum or booster lines than just adding it to the tank? I am not much of a gear head, so I would fear I would really F* something up if I tried it myself. Not looking to make too costly of a mistake...

Rolex
12-23-12, 08:18 PM
Do you get better results from adding it to the vaccum or booster lines than just adding it to the tank? I am not much of a gear head, so I would fear I would really F* something up if I tried it myself. Not looking to make too costly of a mistake...

Pick up a can and read the label. Adding it to the crankcase vs the fuel tank vs vacuum lines all do different things to help clean an engine.

36dbldz
12-23-12, 09:10 PM
Bring your Lade to me and I'll do it for you for $50. ;)

If you lived close I would watch and see how it done. Can anyone that has done it take a Pic of where in the engine bay to add it?

----------

That's what I'm sayin

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-24-12, 04:05 PM
Noise is still present and sounds like a lifter ticking noise. Going to take it in to a local shop to see what they think.

Hope you'll keep us posted on your progress, blackex! Please contact me anytime if you decide to involve a dealer and would like further assistance along the way. My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

blackex
12-26-12, 08:07 PM
Shop just called and they pulled the valve covers and didn't notice any problems. They did notice that on one side oil is not reaching the upper part of the engine and they said they have to pull the upper intake apart to try and see where blockage could be. Anyone have similar issues?

----------

Curious what disconnecting the vacuum line to put seafoam in could have caused oil to stop flowing to the upper part of the engine unless it created an air trap or bubble somehow?