: Headrest DVD Players

timinfla2
05-01-10, 02:58 PM
Has anybody done this as a DIY on their V?

I have a daughter (and another one on the way in a day or so) and in the minivan, the DVD player has been a godsend, even for short trips.

I see GM has them for about $1000/pair but I've seen some on ebay for less than $400.

I don't expect them to integrate into my entertainment system - remote controlled units with IR headphones would be just fine with me.

Any insight here is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

PGA2B
05-01-10, 09:09 PM
You can use the input in the center console to intregrate them. If you have the lock pick you can also use them for a video signal while driving.

csf
05-01-10, 11:36 PM
No way I would spend 1000 bucks when its not a perfect integration into the factory system. Don't know how old your older daughter is, but if it won't be long before she can work her own DVD portable player than I am sure you will go that way eventually. So I would forget those headrest monitors and instead I would get a set of LCD screens with built in DVD that hang over the seat, and run them through the aux jacks or use the headphones - lots of those for much less than a grand.

Isodad
05-02-10, 01:39 AM
I have a pair that I purchased off of eBay for $389 total. With the 4 year old you are correct, it is a godsend. The model I purchased was with the zippered cover so when she's not using them and the car is parked the headrest look factory except for the increased size. PM me if you want the complete info with photos.
Only problem I had was finding accessory power source. Maybe someone else here can assist. I checked the fuse boxes under the front of the rear seats and all of the fuses were constant on. I even opened the door, removed the fob from the car and closed the door and waited inside for the system to completely shut down. I then tested all of the fuses and they were still hot. My plan now is to wire an on/off switch inline so when I park it for a long period it won't drain the battery. I actually like the constant on as she/we can turn on the DVD player before I start the car and it remains on when I shut it off. I questioned the dealership about the fuses being hot all the time (even the obvious ones that are ignition only like RW defroster) and they stated they may stay hot as some of the electronics shut off the components downstream of the fuse box.

timinfla2
05-02-10, 09:39 AM
Isodad - thank you for the heads-up. I'm assuming running wires to the forward fuse box would just be a hassle?

I'll send you a PM with my email address.

Thanks bro!

-Tim

LITTLEELVISDAN
05-02-10, 11:05 AM
Cig lighter in center console box is always on... If I didn't just do this in my Escalade I would definately be doing it in my STS-V. Get the Myron Davis headrest DVD's. They are aftermarket but they look better than factory. Yo can even opt to have the Cady Crest stitched in them. would be nice it they offered a V logo.

With a GMX22? it would be flawless to integrate tihe your dash DVD. standalone they operate independantly with a different DVD in each player or both headrests watch the same movie. usually the driver headrest is the master DVD player in that case.