: Brace for Rear Diff?

Overd0s3
05-01-10, 01:40 PM
Why has no one introduced a brace that could be bolted on to the glass rear on these cars? Years ago when I was shopping for a new car and looking at 3000gt vr4s I learned you couldnt launch them hard because the transfer case was weak, but they had a 80 dollar brace that bolted on with no other mods and the rate of failures on them dropped HARD.
I would imagine that one could be welded up to hold the diff together and sold for faily cheap, 150, but would yeild huge profits because I am sure everyone will grab one at that price to save future headaches

darkman
05-01-10, 02:00 PM
BMR makes a bolt on. http://www.bmrfabrication.com/CTS-Vpage.htm
Many users of these concluded that they did more harm than good.

verywhitedevil
05-01-10, 02:16 PM
there is one out there besides the BMR. it is designed to deflect the vibrations. I am trying to get the guy to make them again. He has the CNC program to make them, but I am having a hard time getting him to make them.

ahahnu
05-01-10, 03:50 PM
There used to be the kars kit which attached the diff to a bar that ran across the uderside and bolted to the cradle and unibody. I've got 70000 with it on and it makes the car so much more solid imo.

maxspeed96ct
05-01-10, 05:24 PM
Your probably thinking of a brace something like this ?

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/montac/ecs%20brace/PICT1251.jpg

I looked into making one after I blew my last diff, But my lack of a real machine shop and materials shut me down..

Also there realy is nothing to easily bolt to on the diff itself, not much room to play with either. You dont want to bolt it right to the cradle because it will just transfer terrible amounts of noise.
A good brace would bolt around from the pinion to some other points of the diff itself.

JimmyH
05-01-10, 05:31 PM
Because they are nothing but trouble. And I tire of people insinuating the diff is made of glass. There are thousands and thousands and thousands of CTS-V owners who never have, and never will, break a differential. Drive your car like you own it, not like you stole it. Common sense will always win the day.

When speaking of future headaches, you are talking about the guys who have used BMR, KARS, etc.