: Engine undercarriage tray

Bob Glenn
05-01-10, 08:40 AM
While driving from Tampa, Fl to Ft. Pierce, FL last night the truck in front of me lost the tire retread which I hit with the front passenger side of my 2006 STS V. When I stopped and looked under the car the plastic shield/tray below the engine behind the bumper was broken and hanging down. Does anyone know the official name of this part? Also, is this part primarily cosmetic or for aerodynamics at high speed ? Can I just remove it and continue to drive the car while I order a replacement?

Thanks in Advance,

Bob

ozmt
05-01-10, 12:16 PM
At my recent oil change, the dealer informed me that mine was missing as well. I argued that the replacement should be under warranty since only the dealer has ever taken it off and on. No luck there, and in fact, they told me that the shield was essential to engine cooling and if i did not replace it soon, it would void my warranty.
I've elevated this issue to the regional level.
Good luck

timinfla2
05-01-10, 02:34 PM
At my recent oil change, the dealer informed me that mine was missing as well. I argued that the replacement should be under warranty since only the dealer has ever taken it off and on. No luck there, and in fact, they told me that the shield was essential to engine cooling and if i did not replace it soon, it would void my warranty.
I've elevated this issue to the regional level.
Good luck

Wow, what a bunch of jerks - good luck getting it resolved! Where are you geographically?

Bob Glenn
05-01-10, 04:08 PM
Thanks, I will call the dealer Monday and keep an eye on the engine temp.

Regards,

Bob

LITTLEELVISDAN
05-01-10, 05:09 PM
prepare to wait about a month or so for the parts.... I got mine about 6 weeks after ordering from Luke.. Hard to get part

Bob Glenn
05-01-10, 05:11 PM
if you don't mind letting me know, how much did it cost? Was it easy to install?

Thanks,

Bob

ozmt
05-01-10, 05:27 PM
I am in Las Vegas. The part, from the dealer, is about $125. For some reason, installed it is around $375. Can't quite figure that out. I'll wait for the resolution from the regional service person before I buy one.
This car is absolutely fantastic! Fast, comfortable, and 20+ MPG on the hwy. Unfortunately, it has been a source of friction at home so you may see it listed soon. 2008, 48k miles.

Bob Glenn
05-01-10, 05:41 PM
thank you, I have had mine since August and also love the car!!!

Onalaska
05-02-10, 10:24 AM
Anytime you pull up to colse to a parking lot curb it damages the shield and pulls some of the pins out. It's just held on with plastic push pins, about a 10 minute job to replace the whole thing. I have the part numbers for the shield and pins somewhere, will look for them this evening. I think I paid about $60 for the shield from GM Parts Direct, you need to order the replacement pins also as they get damaged and don't hold well afterward.

rglenn828
05-03-10, 09:38 AM
The part numbers would really help. I looked on GM parts direct and could not find it, not sure what category the part would be included on the website.

Thanks,

Gusteve
05-04-10, 12:30 PM
I had mine replaced a few weeks ago.

Looks like its part # 25802477 DEFLECTOR (although the dealer called it a splash shield). Dealer cost for me was $95.42 (and they had it in stock - go figure).

There were two part #'s for the clips.
Part # 11589291 RETAINER. They were $3.68 EACH. (And I needed 10 of them, for some reason). And part #11589291 at $3.51 each. (3)

I don't know the difference in the retainers. They had to also replace a wheel well liner, so I think some of the clips were for that. But I can't tell which part # was used.

rglenn828
05-05-10, 12:26 PM
I spoke with the dealer Service Dept yesterday, part cost around $125, if need pins/clips around $4 each, labor $39. Said would order when I brought in the car, easy to get as it is the same part as a regular STS.

Regards,

Bob

Onalaska
05-06-10, 04:13 AM
I replaced these parts about a year ago so the prices look like they have gone up.
Underbody deflector p/n mentioned above is correct 25802477 $66.43
Retainer push pins p/n 14093088 $0.77 (you need about a dozen of them if they are damaged or missing)
Ordered over Internet from P&G Chevy, www.partszoneonline.com
Took me all of 10 minutes to do the whole thing, but you need ramps or a lift so you can reach under the front of the car.

LITTLEELVISDAN
05-06-10, 09:34 AM
Luke at lindsay will help you all.