: Gas mileage I can deal with - not sure about the brake dust!

csf
04-30-10, 10:13 PM
I have to admit the brake dust on my STS- V is driving me crazy. I simply can't keep the wheels clean two days in a row. Even one day of commuting creates ridiculous dark dust on the wheels. Looks like crap.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I have to admit I'm frustrated GM sold this car for 80 grand with brake pads that act like this - if they really tested this car for miles on the tracks of Germany they must have known this was an issue.

I know I can buy aftermarket pads, but that shouldn't be needed when my brakes have plenty of life left. I love the car, but I just can't clean the wheels continuously.

silverws6ta
04-30-10, 10:42 PM
I have to admit the brake dust on my STS- V is driving me crazy. I simply can't keep the wheels clean two days in a row. Even one day of commuting creates ridiculous dark dust on the wheels. Looks like crap.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I have to admit I'm frustrated GM sold this car for 80 grand with brake pads that act like this - if they really tested this car for miles on the tracks of Germany they must have known this was an issue.

I know I can buy aftermarket pads, but that shouldn't be needed when my brakes have plenty of life left. I love the car, but I just can't clean the wheels continuously.

Hawk pads are in your future; but then again I am like you.. my pads have a lot of life left (I added the GM/Brembo drilled rotors and kept on plugging) but still it looks like my wheels are a convert to magnesium..

However, this is a nature of the beast -- and not only GM has this issue. BMW, MB, Lexus.. take a close look at their wheels (fronts especially).. they look like somebody powdercoated them graphite for free after a couple days..

Lanman
04-30-10, 11:25 PM
I ordered my Hawk pads the same day I signed the paperwork on my V and had them installed 2 days after picking it up. The Hawks are worth every penny.

silverws6ta
04-30-10, 11:43 PM
I ordered my Hawk pads the same day I signed the paperwork on my V and had them installed 2 days after picking it up. The Hawks are worth every penny.

Finally!!! Another upstate SC V!! I know there is a black one that runs around Gaffney, SC thats serviced at Benson in Spartanburg; but out of curiosity did you buy your V from Kevin Whitaker? Is it Black? Last year when 'Lade shopping with my mom they had one; and told me they had never saw one in Gray .. Until mine..

timinfla2
05-01-10, 09:27 AM
Amen - it's an annoyance, but at least there's Hawk to save the day. Lanman, did you do your own install or have a tech throw them on?

tmartin63
05-01-10, 09:30 AM
Which Hawk pads did you get? They make several different pads. I ask b/c I put Hawks on an '06 CTS and for whatever reason it changed the braking characteristics in a negative way.

Bob Glenn
05-01-10, 09:49 AM
I agree with you completely!!! I can't stand the brake dust or metal to metal noise during light braking, getting ready to switch to ceramic pads.

Regards,

Bob

CIWS
05-01-10, 10:11 AM
Another owner with Hawk pads here. :thumbsup:
A major difference in brake dust accumulation over several days without compromising braking ability. I bought mine through Luke at Lindsay Cadillac parts here on the forum. A full set of fronts and rears was just over 200.00 when I bought them. They are Hawk HPS but I'm sure he can get you another type if you wish.

Luke Butler
Lindsay Cadillac

(703) 647-8670
lbutler@lindsaycadillac.com

Cataract
05-01-10, 03:33 PM
I agree with you completely!!! I can't stand the brake dust or metal to metal noise during light braking, getting ready to switch to ceramic pads.

Regards,

Bob

I have the noise occasionally as well.. drives me crazy. Do the Hawks help this at all?

PGA2B
05-01-10, 10:14 PM
Get the ceramic they are the lowest dust and still better bite than stock.

Here are the part numbers:

HB453Z.585 Front

HB194Z.570 Rear

chitownv
05-01-10, 11:54 PM
I just put some hawks all around on my v and I am very happy with them stops better and very little brake dust.

Cataract
05-03-10, 01:54 PM
So Hawk ceramics or the HPS's?

PGA2B
05-03-10, 01:58 PM
I suggest the Ceramics-Less dust.

Red Snake
05-03-10, 03:18 PM
I went with the Hawk HPS because the ceramics are harder on the rotors.

There are a definite improvement but they DO still accumulate some dust. No where near as bad as stock though.

bobs-sts-v
05-03-10, 06:44 PM
HPS is the way to go. Easy on the rotors and virtually no dust. A VAST improvement over the OEM pads. Had mine on for about 40K and love them.

Bob

Cataract
05-03-10, 07:21 PM
How many pad replacements do you guys usually get for each set of OEM rotors?

I'm contemplating getting drilled rotors next round..Can you turn (grind) drilled rotors?

csf
05-03-10, 10:25 PM
Well I guess I will have to get those Hawks to save my sanity - but I've only go 22,000 miles on my 07 - I refuse to waste those Brembos now. Have to keep cleaning for another 6 or 8,000 miles - then I'll consider making the change (unless a well priced used Z06 Corvette shows up sooner).

CIWS
05-04-10, 09:57 AM
How many pad replacements do you guys usually get for each set of OEM rotors?

My rears went to about 36K as the pads were very close and needed replacing. They (dealership) did grind those rotors and stuck hawk pads in. My fronts I swapped out to cross drilled rotors around 10K miles and put new Hawk pads up there at that time. They're about 50% right now and the rotor is doing fine.

meekna
05-11-10, 08:12 AM
I still have the stock pads.. very dusty, but I use that ArmorAll Wheel protectant, keeps the wheels clean longer.

Lanman
05-13-10, 09:11 AM
Finally!!! Another upstate SC V!! I know there is a black one that runs around Gaffney, SC thats serviced at Benson in Spartanburg; but out of curiosity did you buy your V from Kevin Whitaker? Is it Black? Last year when 'Lade shopping with my mom they had one; and told me they had never saw one in Gray .. Until mine..

I got my Platinum V from Bradshaw in Greer because I cannot stand the sales dept. at Kevin Whitaker. When I tried to buy my CTS V back in 2004 they wouldn't even give me a price on the one they were scheduled to receive because "it's a limited production car and we don't know how much we're going to charge". Then in 2008 when I was looking for my STS V they wouldn't talk numbers unless I let them run a credit check first. I just laughed at them and left. Strangley enough though their service dept. is pretty decent.

Lanman
05-13-10, 09:14 AM
Amen - it's an annoyance, but at least there's Hawk to save the day. Lanman, did you do your own install or have a tech throw them on?

I had one of my friends who owns a car customizing shop do it for me but if you have the tools it's a really easy job.

Lanman
05-13-10, 09:24 AM
Which Hawk pads did you get? They make several different pads. I ask b/c I put Hawks on an '06 CTS and for whatever reason it changed the braking characteristics in a negative way.

I got the Hawk HPS pads from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. This is the second set of Hawk HPS pads that I've had on my V's and I will say that I don't think they are as good as the factory pads but they are more than adequate for the type of driving that I do. Don't get me wrong though, they are still very good brakes and I highly recommend them to anyone who is looking to reduce the amount of dust that they have to deal with.

I also highly recommend Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. He takes care of us forum members.

CIWS
05-13-10, 10:02 AM
I got my Platinum V from Bradshaw in Greer because I cannot stand the sales dept. at Kevin Whitaker. When I tried to buy my CTS V back in 2004 they wouldn't even give me a price on the one they were scheduled to receive because "it's a limited production car and we don't know how much we're going to charge". Then in 2008 when I was looking for my STS V they wouldn't talk numbers unless I let them run a credit check first. I just laughed at them and left. Strangley enough though their service dept. is pretty decent.

I have the exact opposite situation with the dealership I deal with. Sales is great, very accommodating. But the service department keeps damaging the car.

I got the Hawk HPS pads from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. This is the second set of Hawk HPS pads that I've had on my V's and I will say that I don't think they are as good as the factory pads but they are more than adequate for the type of driving that I do. Don't get me wrong though, they are still very good brakes and I highly recommend them to anyone who is looking to reduce the amount of dust that they have to deal with.

I also highly recommend Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. He takes care of us forum members.

:yeah: