: Anyone with personal experience with GMX322

WaterKing
04-30-10, 12:04 PM
Seriously considering a GMX322 for navigation/backup camera unlock and the additional audio/video inputs available for the overhead drop down monitor with DVD player and headrest monitors with DVD I am installing in a 2007 Escalade EXT. Does anyone have an opinion on its reliability and usability or other recommendations? I like the DIC integration of the GEN6 but it does not include the additional video and audio inputs I desire. I could get IPOD and HD radio with a PAC module but that doesn't solve my other AV and unlock problems.

LITTLEELVISDAN
04-30-10, 05:21 PM
I just had it installed on my 09. Works great. DVD is unlocked all the time. Phone/nav unlocks by pushing Mute button twice and stays on for 60 seconds.

WaterKing
05-01-10, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the input. Have a 2007 and 2008 EXT. Installed a 2009 VCIM in the 2007 for Bluetooth and was also concerned that the GMX322 would not play nice since the bluetooth uses the mute button too. Are you using any of the auxiliary AV inputs?

ESCALADE132
05-01-10, 03:49 PM
Dan did you have the Gen or Gen5? How much did they charge you to install and ho long did it take them? do you think any stereo shop can install it?

thanks

LITTLEELVISDAN
05-01-10, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the input. Have a 2007 and 2008 EXT. Installed a 2009 VCIM in the 2007 for Bluetooth and was also concerned that the GMX322 would not play nice since the bluetooth uses the mute button too. Are you using any of the auxiliary AV inputs?Yes I have a overhead and two headrest players. They all feed off 1 (drivers headrest) or they all operate independantly.

My factory bluetooth works fine. Before and after.

LITTLEELVISDAN
05-01-10, 05:08 PM
Dan did you have the Gen or Gen5? How much did they charge you to install and ho long did it take them? do you think any stereo shop can install it?

thanks Assumng the overhead is already ran to the head unit, about 1 hour if that. Mine was there just waiting for the lockpick.

I'll check what gen on monday.

WaterKing
05-02-10, 12:15 PM
Thanks LittleElvisDan, just what I needed to know.

lousy_investor
05-04-10, 02:23 PM
Anyone knows why the GMX332 is so much more expensive than Gen6?any features I am missing on the GMX332?

Thanks!

WaterKing
05-05-10, 12:07 PM
I am not positive since I do not have a Gen 6, but I think the gen 6 has one additional video only input for camera use. The GMX322 has 2 additional video and stereo audio inputs plus the video only input of the gen6. This allows a LOT more flexibility and integration for things like MP3 input, headrest dvd players, TV input, Sat TV input, other camera inputs and overhead DVD players. Don't need/want the AV inputs then the gen6 seems the better device due to its DIC integration and most important upgrade via USB which is not currently available on the gmx322.

lousy_investor
05-05-10, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the insight WaterKing. While I don't see myself needing the extra inputs for sat tv, etc, I have also learned "never say never". :) Hooking up an iPod would be nice too. I had that in my last vehicle (2005 BMW 545i) and my 2008 Escalade doesn't have that.. well, no bluetooth either. But I can sit 2 more and I am 2 ft higher from the ground now. :)

To me the DIC integration isn't as important since I don't see myself flipping it anyway, unless I am missing something here. The USB update maybe important down the road... but again, if all we need is the additional inputs and the disablement of the DVD and Nav shutoffs, we probably don't need much upgrades anyway right? But who knows what goodies they will come up with can be added.

BTW, do you know how I would choose to use the additional inputs from GMX322? What would I set on the factory stereo to connect to that?

Thanks!

LITTLEELVISDAN
05-05-10, 12:40 PM
I didn't want the menu on the DIC that the lockpick offered. What's the point was my thinking. GMS, DVD is allways on, no buttons or menu's necessary, NAV unlock and phone unlock are only two taps of the mute button away and returns to normal after 60 seconds.

lousy_investor
05-05-10, 01:18 PM
I didn't want the menu on the DIC that the lockpick offered. What's the point was my thinking. GMS, DVD is allways on, no buttons or menu's necessary, NAV unlock and phone unlock are only two taps of the mute button away and returns to normal after 60 seconds.

Yeah... exactly what I was thinking. Only feature with unknown use is the USB update port. Can't imagine lots of great stuff will be introduced this way since they want to sell new units right? :) Perhaps an update that cost some money so they can get some revenue and we don't have to tear apart the dash to reinstall.

Do you leave the unit in the glovebox, or just let the additional inputs hanging in there?

Thanks!!!!

LITTLEELVISDAN
05-05-10, 05:52 PM
There is a ton of room beside the head unit, behind the wood grain fascia... It takes 2 seconds to pop off.. They have been in mine 5 times now. Sorting out a volume problem. Nothing to do with the GMS. It's the headrest DVD player doesn't have enough umph to drive 4 monitors. So video and audio amps are going in and out to sort it out.

lousy_investor
05-05-10, 06:16 PM
There is a ton of room beside the head unit, behind the wood grain fascia... It takes 2 seconds to pop off.. They have been in mine 5 times now. Sorting out a volume problem. Nothing to do with the GMS. It's the headrest DVD player doesn't have enough umph to drive 4 monitors. So video and audio amps are going in and out to sort it out.

COOL....thanks for sharing your experience. I am scared to touch anything in the car but I think this one I can tackle.

LITTLEELVISDAN
05-05-10, 10:55 PM
make sure you get a plastic spudger to pry the panel off. make sure you don't scratch anything. Be gentile, It will pop off starting at the passenger door side. Work your way twords the middle of the car. Start at the bottom of the panel, the top will be self explanitory. Sp???? I'm tired.... Going to bed... :-)

mfrazstsv
06-04-10, 11:53 AM
Could someone please explain the 60 second window for nav unlock. If you are moving and want to enter another destination address, do you only have 60 seconds to enter info after you push the button required # of times? Or do you need to start entry within 60 seconds but you have as long as you need to finish?

WaterKing
06-04-10, 02:23 PM
You have 60 seconds to input after you activate the overide...Need more time simply activate it again by tapping the mute button twice for another 60 sec time frame.

Complete downloadable instructions here: www.coastaletech.com/media/GMX-322.pdf

Video here: http://www.coastaletech.com/GMX320.htm

I am NOT endorsing Coastal Tech by providing this information just answering the question from my research. I got my GMX from another source.

jpatt49
06-04-10, 03:44 PM
Could someone please explain the 60 second window for nav unlock. If you are moving and want to enter another destination address, do you only have 60 seconds to enter info after you push the button required # of times? Or do you need to start entry within 60 seconds but you have as long as you need to finish?

I have one, and when you unlock the Nav it actually disables your GPS locator for that time. So real time positioning is not displayed on the screen. Don't know if it was set up intentionally but that is the functionality.