: Another Blown-Up Diff

wgbanks
04-30-10, 11:34 AM
If you have a 1st gen diff... sooner or later this is going to happen.

wgbanks
04-30-10, 11:37 AM
But Luke can make it all better...

I suppose I have done my part to stimulate the economy with this repair.

Twitch
04-30-10, 12:17 PM
What was your mileage? Some of us have had good luck with the 1st gens.
And how did it go?

BTW someone was looking for a broken diff for his CTS. Might have posted in the CTS-V classifieds, but I'm not sure.

onebadcad
04-30-10, 12:18 PM
Yep, 'Grenade variety', you have more parts than I could find. Was this done during a launch or hard shift.
Nice to know you can now drive your V at about 80% of what Cadillac/GM advertised.

wgbanks
04-30-10, 12:42 PM
The mileage was 66966. That in it's self was kinda strange. It blew on a 1st to 2nd shift on an entrance ramp onto the highway. Not really pounding it hard when it happened more like the straw that broke the camels back. When i happened the event was kinda anticlimactic, it just stopped pulling and I coasted to the shoulder. Hope the new gen holds up better.

WesH8398
04-30-10, 12:48 PM
I'd like to know how this happened too ... launch? Wheel hop? Hard Shift?

Andringa
04-30-10, 01:33 PM
I am starting to think that this really is unavoidable with the way I drive my 04V. Could you give us some idea of what a gen3 diff install, parts and labor goes for these days? I've seen rough numbers on here before, but I thought they were kind of old.

I'll have to do some searching when I have time, but does anyone know if gen1 internals fit into a gen3 housing?

c4ss
04-30-10, 02:48 PM
This is exactly why I drove 6 hours to go see Luke as SOON as mine started whining at the end of my warranty. I don't even really beat the sh!t out of my V, but after awhile, it will explode. Early gen's have a flawed design.

lollygagger8
04-30-10, 03:42 PM
Welcome to the club.

You'll forgive the gm engineers in time....but you'll never forget.

CTS-Voodoo
04-30-10, 09:45 PM
The mileage was 66966. That in it's self was kinda strange. It blew on a 1st to 2nd shift on an entrance ramp onto the highway. Not really pounding it hard when it happened more like the straw that broke the camels back. When i happened the event was kinda anticlimactic, it just stopped pulling and I coasted to the shoulder. Hope the new gen holds up better.

Ha! Thats how I broke mine!:lildevil:

Stepside
04-30-10, 09:57 PM
Welcome to the club.

You'll forgive the gm engineers in time....but you'll never forget.

Was it the engineers? Or was it, management that would not let the engineers, design it right, because management had a dollar/time figure in their head and ignored the wisdom of the engineers.
It happened with the space shuttle . . . Twice!

uwood
04-30-10, 11:39 PM
Sucks to hear man, though that is nice shiny piece ya got there now.

We need to get together, once my junk is back running. You arent that far from me.

maxspeed96ct
05-01-10, 09:04 AM
:welcome:

looks almost identical to my broken diff, pretty much cracked in all the same exact places.

Are you lucky enough to be under warrenty still? ( I wasn't)

Also maybe I missed it but how did it break ? launch? hop ?

JimmyH
05-01-10, 05:32 PM
If you have a 1st gen diff, and you drive like a maniac... sooner or later this is going to happen.

fixed

wgbanks
05-01-10, 06:18 PM
:welcome:

looks almost identical to my broken diff, pretty much cracked in all the same exact places.

Are you lucky enough to be under warrenty still? ( I wasn't)

Also maybe I missed it but how did it break ? launch? hop ?

Out of warranty and the failure occurred on an aggressive, although not crazy, 1st to 2nd shift on a freeway on ramp. I did the install myself, Luke gladly sent me a shinny new diff and installed a Hendrix econo axle at the same time since it was apart. The new diff is whisper quiet, something I have never had as I purchased the car used. The Hendrix axle has really worked well at eliminating wheel hop. I love this car put it is a lot like the quads my son and I ride in that if I couldn't wrench on them I couldn't own one. Dealer labor rate is not a line item in my economic reform bill.