: Remove 472

69 hearsedriver
04-29-10, 05:57 PM
First post. removing 472 out of my 69 fleetwood. Need simple instructions.
Have a manual,says keep tranny and engine together for removal. A friend says take them apart,they are easy to put back together. My plan is to remove and clean and new gaskets,hoses,paint. The engine runs! I am not a mechanic but i am mechanicaly inclined. Any easy tips or tricks would be appreciated. My main concern is the trany/engine separation. Will the tranny fall to the floor or will the support hold it? Thanks for any help!
I have had the car, apart, for 9 years and i am finally digging in.

BRUCE ROE
04-30-10, 12:26 AM
I always remove the engine by itself. It takes a support for the trans, and another for the engine when its unbolted from the trans. Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

deVille33
04-30-10, 10:50 AM
You can do either. It is sometimes difficult to remove both together, because you have to have clearance for the trans tailsection.

If I separate engine / trans, I support the trans on a floor jack ( I don't have a trans jack, but they are a nice tool to have, you might be able to rent one ). If your working on the floor, it helps to have another body to assist you. When you separate the trans from the engine you have to wrestle with it to balance it on the jack and that TH400 is one heavy trans. You don't have to do this with a trans jack.

Here's a tip. After you have disconnected the torque converter to flex plate bolts, replace the dust shield. This will keep the torque converter from falling out and dousing you in trans fluid.

Once you,ve separated engine and trans, the engine is now suspended on the engine mounts. It's a good idea to have the engine hooked to whatever your using to pull the engine, then you can take the weight off the mounts, if you plan to save them.

LvVein
05-05-10, 07:42 PM
I'm actually in the middle of doing this right now and I was wondering... where do you guys attach the chains to? I'll be pulling the engine and trans together.

deVille33
05-06-10, 12:56 PM
I'm actually in the middle of doing this right now and I was wondering... where do you guys attach the chains to? I'll be pulling the engine and trans together.

The 425 had U straps from the factory. Not sure the 472 had them.
If I pull an engine and there are no factory provisions, I pull a manifold bolt at the rear corner and another at the opposite bank at the front of the engine. Bolt a speader or a chain length between the two and hook to that.
If you use a chain, put a long bolt or rod on either side of the hook to keep things from slipping. I sometimes use a old push rod against the force side ( loaded side ) of the hook. Finding the proper balance point is a matter of trial and error, unless you have the spreader bar with the adjustable center point.

ScottConklin
05-20-10, 01:18 AM
Get a intake-mount lift plate. They are cheap and in conjunction with a leveler on the hoist make pulling the motor a helluva lot easier and safer. For both you and the engine. It's good to have the carb off anyway when yanking one. I've screwed up more than one when a chain slipped or pulled tight where I thought it wouldn't and cracked or just warped the carb body/linkage/etc.