: Ouch, time to choose a career!

caddyshack24
08-25-04, 09:28 AM
alright, its time to get into college, put it off long enough. Now i have a dilemma. What do i major in? I know your not supposed to choose a career based on salary but rather on interest or passion. Thats the problem. eeeek

Math was never my stongest subject, although its pretty fascinating when you can sum up the world in a neat little formula. So i guess my passion for electronics wouldnt be the best thing to pay the bills with.. great hobby though. Used to take my grandmas VCR apart... went home before i put it back together. whew

GM certified mechanic, You basterds did this to me. lol -- I think id make a great one, 2 years of college and you can make upwards of 100k.. prolly need some ASE certifications though. Not sure if ill be happy afterwards. Not very respectable in the community either, but who gives a phuck. They say if you become unemployed in this field, a week later you should have found another job. huge shortage of skilled mechanics and rising.

Computers- Security, Networking, Admin... been doing this as a hobby for awhile, not recently but i know enough to be pretty damn lethal. The market is over saturated though, everyone is assuming this will be the hottest job around. Until everybody else graduates!

General Surgeon, heres me dreaming. 12+ years of school but you make around a quarter mill a year, hey i can handle it. Id be the first on the block to have a Cadillac Cien. It'd be real intresting having some passionate nurses at my side too. Tuition will be steep. Demand is high and comes wirh awesome job security.. unless you leave your car keys on somebodys kidney.

see, the thing is.. Well, i dont know!! I can always switch careers since im still young. But if i dont apply myself ill go insane(r) .. WTf do i do???

Trying to reach as close as full potential as i can, ya know.
Toughest decision of my life here, it will forever change who i am and who ill be. i wanna break my monitor now..

can ya help me? how did you all select your profession? Did it sorta fall in place? or you went out and pursued a dream, goal.. interest?

Are you still happy, i mean, its work.. but do you enjoy it still.. almost as much as you did when you started? Do you have any regrets? If you could go back and start over, would you? (besides for the hot college chicks and wild ass parties (thats a gimme)

Im to young to become an alcholic, help me out here :drinker :confused: :drinker please?

T_Dogg8
08-25-04, 10:00 AM
well, i'm two years out of college and one year into my profession and i hate it. i picked the major because it sort of interested me and the potential for jobs and pay were great at the time (tech in the late 90s) however it's pretty much dried up and i like my job as much as i think i would any job, but it's not my passion. i want to manage something. don't know what to do now, just sticking it out until a management position comes around....anyone hiring?? i'm a really hard worker.

anyway, good luck and don't sweat it too much. you can always change your major.

daacon
08-25-04, 10:38 AM
Been there done that :coolgleam . Did a year of University out of Highschool (math major) - that got old quick, Decided I need a "job" The list of my "careers" is long , last "paid from the neck down" job was a rig pig - awsome money , just could not see myself at 40 doing that. So at 24 went back to school (much like you). Took a two year course at a local technical college - 2 years instead of 4 , less expensive , by then I was own my own so the bills $$$ were all mine. (where spelling was not taught :banghead: ), Computer Systems Technology. Got my Diploma and landed my first IT job in 1986. (almost went for Petrolium Engineer cause I knew the Oil Patch always has money)

I am happy - I have not always been happy , but the last 5 years I have gone as an independant and so far this has been great. I do enjoy what I do, and that is key for sure. I am fortunate enough to have enough expereince to keep busy - got in at the right time I suppose, I agree it is harder to get started today.

But like T_Dogg8 says it is never too late to change. Albiet the Dr thing might be difficult after all that "schooling". How about Dentist ? Have you seen what it costs for Dental work !!! These guys make more $$$ than Dr's or Lawyers.

If I had to do it all over again - always wanted to be a pilot or a laywer. But pretty content on this particulat "paid fromn the neck up" job. There are advantages to both. Good Luck

T_Dogg8
08-25-04, 10:44 AM
i'd like to go independant. i've always wanted to be my own boss and have my own company. i think i would ahve more of a feeling that i could be as much as i wanted to be. instead of as much as my boss wants me to be.

daacon
08-25-04, 11:01 AM
i'd like to go independant. i've always wanted to be my own boss and have my own company. i think i would ahve more of a feeling that i could be as much as i wanted to be. instead of as much as my boss wants me to be.

Then do it :D (easy for me to say eh!) .

I am a one man shop - so my "Boss" can be an A$$H*** at times :want: , but my "team" puts him in place :rant2: There are advantages to this life for sure (as well as disadvantages - looking for new contracts) - I have been very fortunate so far and I am thankkfull for that.

I have offered several "good" people the oppertunity to join me on several contracts. I only convinced one. It is not for everyone. The "sterotype" of a consultant does not always ring true as well . Like they make sooo much money. Money is more on an hourly rate (generally) , than an "employee" int the same positon, but you have to factor in no benefits, pension plans, yada yada yada. I believe I also price my services "competitivley" (depending on how bad I want the gig). Some of my fellow consultants still think it is 1998 and demand the peak "dot-com dollars" THose days have come and gone (they may come back :worship: ). Slow and steady wins the race :D

My suggestion is to keep the "day job" until you land a contract. I quit my "day job" with like 1k in the bank and my last check and a 6 month contract in hand (with a 7 day out clause :suspense: ) It was a risk (I had a family to support) - but one I am glad I took.

In my expereince , I have seen soooo much incompetence 'out there" that you do not have to be the sharpest guy "technically". But a good work ethic, honesty, willingness to stand behind what you do and to actually do it plus the abilty to learn new buisness models will take you a long way.

T_Dogg8
08-25-04, 11:23 AM
thanks. right now my biggest drawback is my lack of experience. no one wants to take a chance on some kid with basically a year's experience. so right now i work for a consulting company, and it kind of sucks because i know they get about 3 times per hour compared to what i see. it'd be nice to be able to get it all.

Elvis
08-25-04, 12:53 PM
If you were 18 I would say go with liberal arts. Once you get that piece of paper you can do just about anything you want--MBA, law, education, even medical if you supplement it with the right minor.

Since you're 24 I'm going to say go with a general business curriculum. Whatever job you end up with, remember it's not how much you make, it's how much you keep. A business-related degree would help you with that.

Randy_W
08-26-04, 08:53 AM
All I have to say is we 50+ year old guys would love to have your problem! Good luck in whatever you do, but remember, if you hate going to work every day, the money won't matter! ;)

T_Dogg8
08-26-04, 09:06 AM
All I have to say is we 50+ year old guys would love to have your problem! Good luck in whatever you do, but remember, if you hate going to work every day, the money won't matter! ;)
i'm learning that lesson as we speak. unfortunately i don't get paid much either. so i have the worst of both worlds. :helpless:

AirJigga25
08-26-04, 10:15 AM
alright, its time to get into college, put it off long enough. Now i have a dilemma. What do i major in? I know your not supposed to choose a career based on salary but rather on interest or passion. Thats the problem. eeeek

Math was never my stongest subject, although its pretty fascinating when you can sum up the world in a neat little formula. So i guess my passion for electronics wouldnt be the best thing to pay the bills with.. great hobby though. Used to take my grandmas VCR apart... went home before i put it back together. whew

GM certified mechanic, You basterds did this to me. lol -- I think id make a great one, 2 years of college and you can make upwards of 100k.. prolly need some ASE certifications though. Not sure if ill be happy afterwards. Not very respectable in the community either, but who gives a phuck. They say if you become unemployed in this field, a week later you should have found another job. huge shortage of skilled mechanics and rising.

Computers- Security, Networking, Admin... been doing this as a hobby for awhile, not recently but i know enough to be pretty damn lethal. The market is over saturated though, everyone is assuming this will be the hottest job around. Until everybody else graduates!

General Surgeon, heres me dreaming. 12+ years of school but you make around a quarter mill a year, hey i can handle it. Id be the first on the block to have a Cadillac Cien. It'd be real intresting having some passionate nurses at my side too. Tuition will be steep. Demand is high and comes wirh awesome job security.. unless you leave your car keys on somebodys kidney.

see, the thing is.. Well, i dont know!! I can always switch careers since im still young. But if i dont apply myself ill go insane(r) .. WTf do i do???

Trying to reach as close as full potential as i can, ya know.
Toughest decision of my life here, it will forever change who i am and who ill be. i wanna break my monitor now..

can ya help me? how did you all select your profession? Did it sorta fall in place? or you went out and pursued a dream, goal.. interest?

Are you still happy, i mean, its work.. but do you enjoy it still.. almost as much as you did when you started? Do you have any regrets? If you could go back and start over, would you? (besides for the hot college chicks and wild ass parties (thats a gimme)

Im to young to become an alcholic, help me out here :drinker :confused: :drinker please?

Do something with TECHNOLOGY!! tech schools are pretty cool because you can earn great $$ after 2 years of schooling. You're right that the IT field is a little saturated but maybe you can find a niche. Construction/Real Estate are good fields too. I know a guy who works 15 hours a week and is making 300,000 a year in real estate and he just hunts and fishes with the rest of his time.

PhantomCadillac
08-26-04, 10:40 AM
Here is a reality check! In your age range you will only work for a Company on average for 5 years. The key to success is continued education. If you want to be a work on cars go for it. Take business classes so you will be able to run a shop or start your own. Also computer classes because that is now the heart of all auto systems.
I'm 46 and my buddies that do car and truck repair make good money but the acks and pains are starting to catch up. The old saying "If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself" is quite true. lol.

T_Dogg8
08-26-04, 11:17 AM
Do something with TECHNOLOGY!! tech schools are pretty cool because you can earn great $$ after 2 years of schooling. You're right that the IT field is a little saturated but maybe you can find a niche. Construction/Real Estate are good fields too. I know a guy who works 15 hours a week and is making 300,000 a year in real estate and he just hunts and fishes with the rest of his time.
damn. i need that job. and i'd do it for a lot less.

Rolex
08-26-04, 06:26 PM

I vote going into the "health field." Doctors/surgeons do generally make a nice living, but they sometimes keep horrible hours. The time and money commitment is also huge. There is good money to be made in fields like nursing without a 12-14 year education commitment. Health jobs are recession proof, and there's a shortage of nurses, doctors, and providers across the board (and no end to the shortage in sight).

I bot my bachelors degree in nursing and started to look at advanced practice after working 1-2 years. Nurse practitioners make 60-80k per year, and they can specialize in a lot of dofferent fields (surgery included). Nurse anesthetists (CRNA) have an annual average starting salary of 110k. I know traveling CRNAs who pull down 250-300k per year. I just began my career as a CRNA 5 weeks ago and I started out 150k salary, full benefits, retirement, and 8 weeks vacation. My wife has also been a CRNA for a year, and we both love our jobs. We primarily work in surgery, but there are plenty of other things you can do.

A few nurse friends have gone on to become PAs (physician assistants). Those guys make 100+ a year and they have a ton of specialty jobs available.

That's my .02. I know that what I do may not butter everybody's toast though.

AirJigga25
08-26-04, 06:31 PM
wow...that is impressive $$. Is that part of the reason why copay's are so high? Since you're in healthcare, what do you think of the healthcare situation in the United States? Obviously healthcare is a must for most people and they will pay what it takes to get it. But do you think costs are a little out of hand? No matter how good a health insurace plan I have, they always find a way to stick me with a bill following my visit. I was just wondering your opinion ROLEX.

illumina
08-26-04, 06:48 PM
mixing concrete is a good choice...

Rolex
08-26-04, 06:51 PM
wow...that is impressive $$. Is that part of the reason why copay's are so high? Since you're in healthcare, what do you think of the healthcare situation in the United States? Obviously healthcare is a must for most people and they will pay what it takes to get it. But do you think costs are a little out of hand? No matter how good a health insurace plan I have, they always find a way to stick me with a bill following my visit. I was just wondering your opinion ROLEX.

I think it's complex: People are living longer and getting sicker, and chronically ill people require new and expensive treatment and medication to maintain any quality of life. Senseless lawsuits drive up the cost of medical malpractice insurance for physicians and pratitioners. Pharmaceutical companies and equipment companies set their prices sky high because of the expensive technology used to develop and engineer their product. All this cost is passed on to hospitals and practitioners.

A hospital will spend billions of dollars to keep its doors open, and to keep up with a demanding, dynamic market to bring its customers the latest and best treatments (this is called meeting consumer demand). The cost of doing that is passed on to consumers. I think the US has the best healthcare system in the world, but it comes at a price to everybody: hospitals, doctors, practitioners, and consumers.

Elvis
08-27-04, 02:55 PM
I'll agree with health/medical if you have no other aspirations.

People are always going to get sick, and now that the baby boomers are about to turn 60 there will be a lot more sick and dying people in need of those services.