: 01 DTS front suspension clicking and rear suspension bottoming out

rfizer
04-28-10, 11:26 PM
hello,
I have a 01 dts, and I started having problems a week ago. I put teenagers in the back seat and the start rubbing the tires on the bumps. Then yesterday, the front suspension started clicking (sounds like a cv joint going bad) when you start from a stop. But it does the clicking just for a couple seconds then stops once the car has decent forward movement. I am not getting any service codes, or a service suspension indicator. I am looking for ideas on troubleshooting. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Submariner409
05-02-10, 01:24 PM
If the rear bottoms with a load in the seat or trunk then the ELC (Electronic Level Control) is not working, and that will set a code.

To test ELC, turn the key ON. Listen for a hum from the right rear, about 6 - 8 seconds after key-ON. OK ?? Now open the trunk - leave the key-ON. You and 2 assistants sit on the trunk lip. The compressor should start and level the car. OK ?? Hop off and listen in the RR wheelwell for escaping air as the car returns to level. Is this sequence does not work, then you're into the ELC compressor/dryer/exhaust valve/air line/shock diagnostic business.

Use the sticky thread at the top of the main Deville page -"How to pull codes" - and practice getting your DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) from the car's built-in scanner/reader. Write down any stored codes, noting whether they're Current or History. Return to the sticky and open the link with "obd2" in the URL. Click on the blue lines in the Master Index box to get the meanings of any P,B,C, or U codes. Don't "clear codes" yet - just write them and the meanings down and come back here.

85silvereldo
06-21-10, 06:38 PM
submariner, what causes the rear to be high in the air and won't come down, was ok week ago and with couple people in back would bottom, now rear up in air ???:annoyed: thanks, any help appreciated.