: Diff Whine- how loud is too loud?

Castro
04-28-10, 09:55 AM
Mine is pretty noisey but I have no sense for how loud is normal. I can hear it very distinctly when cruising or lightly accelerating in most gears, it was replaced under warranty 20K miles ago before I bought it. Anyone have opinions on how loud is too loud?

darkman
04-28-10, 10:25 AM
It depends on which version you have and your tolerance for noise. For the early units the noise was a sign that failure was imminent. In the later units, which I assume you have, it is more just a nuisance, and it depends on how much noise you ar willing to tolerate. If it is under warranty I would not tolerate it at all.

CadiBlk
04-28-10, 10:49 AM
Headers sans cats should help with the diff noise.

Houdini
04-28-10, 11:03 AM
Yeah if you're hearing it and it bothers you I wouldn't hesitate to bring it to the dealer to get it replaced under warranty...that is if you still have warranty.

Castro
04-28-10, 11:21 AM
Nope no warranty. Mine sounds like a supercharger, exhaust may be the only answer here. It's definitely a newer generation since it was replaced in late 2008, I think it's probably fine just annoying if the stereo is off.

Houdini
04-28-10, 01:25 PM
Have you been pretty rough on that latest gen diff? Lots of hard launches?

Castro
04-28-10, 01:39 PM
Have you been pretty rough on that latest gen diff? Lots of hard launches?

Not at all, always from a roll. I can't speak for the previous owner though who I assume wasn't very easy on it.

rand49er
04-28-10, 01:44 PM
Don't have much experience with any by my own diffs, but while mine currently whines noticeably during acceleration, I don't hear it during a 70 MPH cruise at all (unless there's a hill and I have to open the throttle a bit to maintain speed).

If yours is intrusive enough that you hear it just goin' down the road, I'd first change the fluid and, if that didn't help, be looking for another one.

Just my $0.02.

Stepside
04-28-10, 06:53 PM
Don't have much experience with any by my own diffs, but while mine currently whines noticeably during acceleration,
Just my $0.02.

Yeah, right . :spin:. . but we all know that's your maggie whine, ricocheting around your cabin. :coffee: