: rear hub R & R difficult?

RADARB8
04-28-10, 01:27 AM
the shop who might do my wheel widening wants a 6 lug hub with lug nuts.
fleabay sells them shipped for $79.00.. should i just pull it off or buy the new hub.....i thought if i would pull one off i might just upgrade to a hp axle..i have a 2006, but it wouldn't hurt to put a new axle in... i have read from other posts that it can be a nightmare...any thoughts.:bigroll:

PISNUOFF
04-28-10, 07:33 AM
Not difficult at all. The worst part is detatching the ball joint. Other than that, it's only 5 bolts and an axle nut.

RADARB8
04-28-10, 10:48 AM
Not difficult at all. The worst part is detatching the ball joint. Other than that, it's only 5 bolts and an axle nut.

So after the hub comes off is the axle easily accessible..cause i might want to buy axle or axles.:hmm:

PISNUOFF
04-28-10, 11:01 AM
If you have the hub off, you just pull on the axle and it releases from the differential. To change the axle you don't have to remove the hub completely, leave the ball joint connected and push the hub assembly up enough to get the axle shaft out of it.

RADARB8
04-28-10, 11:19 AM
If you have the hub off, you just pull on the axle and it releases from the differential. To change the axle you don't have to remove the hub completely, leave the ball joint connected and push the hub assembly up enough to get the axle shaft out of it.

thanks much appreciated..

Twitch
04-30-10, 12:30 PM
Don't think the axle nuts are re-useable. And make sure you mark the bolts. It's easy to mix them up.
The hardest part for me was to get everything to line up to get the bolts in. Not that big of a deal though.

PISNUOFF
04-30-10, 12:37 PM
You're not 'supposed' to reuse the axle nuts. But it's like head bolts, you can get away with reusing them once.