: Customizing Toy 79 Lowrider

DopeStar 156
08-25-04, 01:28 AM
http://www.hobbylinc.com/gr/lnd/lnd73055.jpg

I just bought one of these, '79 Coupe DeVille and am in the process of modification. I'm currently painting the car the same red as my '89 Fleetwood and I swapped the short stubby lowrider wheels with the taller whitewalls from my '63 Impala lowrider which also hops. In my opinion, the Caddy will look better and inturn the Impala will look more like a lowrider. I'll post pics of the two when I'm done with the '79.

Adam
08-25-04, 03:37 AM
i took those stupid "ice machine" stickers off. i painted the trim and the grill gold and took the gold wires off of my impala and put them on the Caddy. it looks a whole lot better.

DopeStar 156
08-25-04, 04:45 AM
Unfortunately I F'ed it up, and F'ed it up more with paint thinner. I'm gonna buy a new one and not paint it.

DopeStar 156
08-26-04, 03:06 AM
Perfect! I swapped the hydraulic arms with the ones from my Impala so the wheels clear the wells, and gave the Caddy the bigger tires. I put the thicker wheels on the Impala and left the gold wire wheels on the Impala. I'm also concidering doing the chrome trims on the Caddy with some paint.

Adam
08-28-04, 11:50 PM
ya fuct it up, huh? put some tape on it and paint. i did leave the one diamond in the back of the trunk. im gonna paint it purple if i can find some. with gold flakes. it took the wheels off of another lowrider i had and put them on it like you were talking.

DopeStar 156
08-29-04, 02:12 AM
I fuct it up, but it's not trashed. Since I bought another one (Bye bye $20 :( ) and now since I just took the new body, I've got a "parts car." I've swapped the hydraulic motor from the '63 Impala with the '79 Caddy "parts car," because the Impala's motor burned out. Now I have a paintable Caddy body, front and rear fenders removed from the wiring from the remote, and a dehydrauliced chassis. My plan is to paint the Caddy's body, Put some normal axles on the chassis, get some standard whitewalls with the original chrome wire wheels, and wire the headlights and taillights to a standard switch and some AA's and just have it with functioning lights. Sounds nice? It's a project, but it'll give me something to do.

Adam
08-29-04, 03:20 AM
ya know they make under body kits for and 1:24 and 1:16 GM models. they have hydraulics on them and i believe you can get like a normal one and put like dubs on them. i saw it on a website somewhere. i believe i was looking up those little cars we got on the internet and found it.

DopeStar 156
08-29-04, 03:40 AM
Hmmm, that's an idea. However I'll stay away from the DUBs because I'm going for the stock look.