: Bought a 2007 STS-V today - now what?

timinfla2
04-27-10, 03:29 PM
Gents,
Great to meet you all - I just picked up my dream car today, an STS-V. I LOVE this car; it's a dream come true.

My question is, I bought it from a Chevy dealer and I would ask if there are any things that you folks can recommend that I get taken care of right away.

i.e. TSB's, various gotchas, and other things - basically, I don't know what I don't know :-)

The only gripe I have as of yet is that the shifter knob seems to have some play in it - and I don't know if that's normal or if it can be tightened down a bit.

Thanks in advance for weighing in folks.

-Tim

Big_Caddy
04-27-10, 03:49 PM
take a loan out or mortgage your home to pay for the gas

LITTLEELVISDAN
04-27-10, 04:07 PM
Traction controll is never fully off...

Manual shifting has a 500 rpm delay from time you upshift... get used to it..

Torque nannies make the car feel more like a turbo as power is not all there off the line... Get used to that kind of power delivery unless you reprogram the car.

You can get alot more out of these cars by adding mods or you can leave it stock... either way they are the best sedan on the road... IMO

Lastly... Enjoy the car.. They are great.. Powerful and smooth that's the way we roll in the STS-V crowd....

LITTLEELVISDAN
04-27-10, 04:10 PM
just looked at you picture of your new baby.

There is one huge problem you need to get fixed right away...

YOU BOUGHT THE SLOWEST COLOR!!!!! GET IT PAINTED BLACK!!!! Black with Tengo Red interior is known as the fastest color ever produced in the STS-V line.

whisler151
04-27-10, 04:13 PM
Congrats. The STS-V is a beautiful car. I see that you bought the fastest color as well.

Semper Fi.

jedhead
04-27-10, 04:17 PM
Silver are the most powerful. I would make sure you have the latest version of the software for the PCM. I had mine flashed to the latest version and it made a noticable difference in power.

Bob

cadillac94pimpin
04-27-10, 04:22 PM
Shifter needs to be tightened. Same thing happened to mine. I have no idea how to do it. Dealer took care of it.

Cataract
04-27-10, 06:26 PM
Shifter needs to be tightened. Same thing happened to mine. I have no idea how to do it. Dealer took care of it.

Very interesting.. I'll definitely have to have the stealer look at mine too.

Tim, welcome to the forum! There's tons of good info and lots of mouth watering mods to make the car even more attractive/powerful.

silverws6ta
04-27-10, 07:51 PM
just looked at you picture of your new baby.

YOU BOUGHT THE SLOWEST COLOR!!!!! GET IT PAINTED BLACK!!!! Black with Tengo Red interior is known as the fastest color ever produced in the STS-V line.

:alchi: :stirpot: Ummm Hmmm.. You don't have to lie to kick it Craig!

Stealth Gray and Light Gray Interior = Classiest!

timinfla2
04-27-10, 08:05 PM
Folks,
Thanks one and all for the warm welcome. There's some good advice there and I even appreciate the suggestion that Black is the fastest color - debatable sure, but it's also the hottest color in this Florida sun ;-)

Littleevil - your comments about traction control are right on - I dropped off the wife and the kid and I just went out to an abandoned industrial complex to spin it out a bit and I couldn't figure out how to turn off the Traction Control. I put it in Park, hit the TC button and even held it for 10 seconds and nothing happened - no light on the cluster warning me it was off or anything...

I'd check the owners manual but it didn't come with one. I have the PDF on my computer and I'm ordering a replacement off of ebay...

I'll have to explore re-programming the car. Is it reversible, i.e. will a dealer void my warranty if I bring it in with another tune on it?

Final thing I want to do is remove the Dealership Badging they put on the trunk - very annoying and totally takes away from the elegance of the vehicle IMO. I seem to remember a hairdryer working wonders or just parking it in the sun...

Bob, I'll research on here how I can get the car to tell me what software version the PCM et al is running. Or maybe I'll just bring it in to the Dealer and have them do a mass-update on everything...

Thanks for the advice on the shifter knob - I have a (short) bug list to discuss with the dealer. The other issue is that the electric telescoping/tilting wheel seems to stick and I have to help it at first to get it moving. Either the motor is going or the gears are gummed up - either way, I sure am happy I have that bumper to bumper warranty!

-Tim

PGA2B
04-27-10, 08:30 PM
Folks,
Thanks one and all for the warm welcome. There's some good advice there and I even appreciate the suggestion that Black is the fastest color - debatable sure, but it's also the hottest color in this Florida sun ;-)

Littleevil - your comments about traction control are right on - I dropped off the wife and the kid and I just went out to an abandoned industrial complex to spin it out a bit and I couldn't figure out how to turn off the Traction Control. I put it in Park, hit the TC button and even held it for 10 seconds and nothing happened - no light on the cluster warning me it was off or anything...

I'd check the owners manual but it didn't come with one. I have the PDF on my computer and I'm ordering a replacement off of ebay...

I'll have to explore re-programming the car. Is it reversible, i.e. will a dealer void my warranty if I bring it in with another tune on it?

Final thing I want to do is remove the Dealership Badging they put on the trunk - very annoying and totally takes away from the elegance of the vehicle IMO. I seem to remember a hairdryer working wonders or just parking it in the sun...

Bob, I'll research on here how I can get the car to tell me what software version the PCM et al is running. Or maybe I'll just bring it in to the Dealer and have them do a mass-update on everything...

Thanks for the advice on the shifter knob - I have a (short) bug list to discuss with the dealer. The other issue is that the electric telescoping/tilting wheel seems to stick and I have to help it at first to get it moving. Either the motor is going or the gears are gummed up - either way, I sure am happy I have that bumper to bumper warranty!

-Tim

Tim,

First off, :welcome:

Next as far as the reprogram goes yes it will void your warranty. The going consensus is a spare computer.

On the de-badge being in Fla let her sit in the sun for a few hours and then use a hairdryer to make sure its warm and remove it. I have also heard of using fishing line to help break it loose. Mine did not have any badging because I took delivery a few hours after they traded for her:cloud9:. Then use a cleaner wax to remove the residue.

Congrats! I love getting in mine every time I drive her.

timinfla2
04-27-10, 09:41 PM
PGA, Thanks for the advice! I'll let her sit long and hot in the sun tomorrow and see what some mono can do to help the cause.

-T

fast_lane10
04-27-10, 11:04 PM
+1 on black with tango red interior .... that's what i got couple of weeks back..2007 with 29000 miles ...and i love it ...i am also making list of minor kinks to get them fixed, but some things i am not sure of
1) Do rear view mirrors tilt down when put in reverse..they seem to happening on mine sometimes but not always ...
2) Are there any steps to make the remote start work..mine works once in a while ..may be 1 in 10 times
3) transmission shifting seems to be little jerky once in a while ...specially when driving it easy and transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd

lavi

jedhead
04-28-10, 01:59 AM
1. The rearview mirror tilts down depending on the switch to change mirrors. The left position the left mirror will tilt down, right position the right tilts, and the middle position neither mirror tilts.
2. Mine always works when the car is locked and I press the lock button first then the remote start when I am close enough to the car.
3. Mine when the transmission fluid is cold seems to have a long second to third shift when accelerating easy. I had the dealer check this a couple of time and told it was normal until the transmission fluid is warmed up.

Bob

jedhead
04-28-10, 02:08 AM
The first time I took the car to the dealer, I asked them to make sure the PCM programming was up to date. I was told it was at the current level. A few months later in February, I got a warning that the car was overtemp. But the oil temp was normal and the temp gauge was all the way to the bottom. I pulled over and stop and restarted the car. Everything seemed normal. I dropped off the car the next day at the dealer. When I picked up the car later, I was told that the thermostat was changed and PCM was reflashed. I when I left the dealer, I noticed the car felt more powerful than before. Last month I finally ran the car on the dyno. Two runs stock, then I installed a PCM with a tune. I had the same peak torque, but the tuned PCM dropped off torque sooner resulting in lower peak hp rating. I put the stock PCM back in. I am considering getting a EFI tuner, save the stock tune and flash the tuned PCM with my stock tune, then make some changes to shifting and throttle settings. Blue-stock Red-Tuned

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/789410/original/stsv-dynosheet2.jpg

Bob

cad08stsv
04-28-10, 05:08 AM
Hi Tim, :welcome:
Welcome to the Ladies afternoon socal....
There has been much a do about as to weather or not to use a D3 Stage 1 box as it simple unpluging it, will retrun it to stock. Second there are those that say that the wait4me hand held is the way to go since the first download on it is what ever come stock with your car (First I would get real friendly with the local Cadillac Dealer, spread awround a little cash and get the service writer to get them to refalsh your pcm to the latiest firemare update) If they won't doi it on there own then you may have to pay for it. I also purchased my car from a chevy dealer and had the local dealer do a 122 point inspection. Just like you were going to get it cerified. Money talks & BS walks. Once you have the latest software update then you will be able to start from scratch and work you way up. (you should watch them as they do it) Even if you don't know what they are doing , they don't know that. It you are in the Washington erea take it to Luke in parts at Lindsey Cadillac and he will help you fine a good service writier.
Wait4Me tell me he hides his tunes and no one can tell unless you don't return it to stock before returning for service. Otherwise they are not suppose to be able to see it (So say Jesses at W4M. He will set you up with 3 tunes
1 Your stock Tune, 2 a proformance tune, and 3 race tune. Best is #2 TC off is a good thing. Take a look at D3's offering as they have lots of toys. Talk to James he is the owner. Some may disagree with me and some will not. But I can only speak for myself. Mozotov on you new ride may you get a million millions out of it. Tires excluded. I have read all the post dating back 3 to 4 years and have learn a lot. Some a toung in cheek but most are for real. Done be afaid to ask questions as offen as you like, that is why we are here. It iis your ride do what ever make you happy. Best to all in your family and Good Luck
Russell

timinfla2
04-28-10, 07:44 AM
Russell,
That is a TON of GREAT information - much appreciated. When I lived in Detroit, I used to keep my boat at a local Yacht Club and I learned the value of showing appreciation to the dockmaster with an occasional handshake gratuity. It meant little to me, it meant a lot to him and he NEVER let me down whenever I needed a special favor, i.e. slips for visiting guests, extra passes to the hydroplane races, etc.

I will absolutely get to know the service department at the local dealership. I'm a cigar guy, so hopefully he likes cigars too and I can always have another in my pocket when I go in to see him :-)

So in your opinion, is a Chevy dealership just as qualified to handle all the updating/maintaining etc of the vehicle, or should I be finding a bona fide Cadillac dealer?

Thanks again for all the great input on the tunes - I'll explore more about what my options are after I ensure I have a good baseline including all of the latest PCM, etc firmware updates.

-Tim

CIWS
04-28-10, 09:00 AM
Congrats on your acquisition and :welcome: to the Cadillac forums.

pj96ss
04-28-10, 09:21 AM
In order to tighten the shifter knob, take a razor blade and insert it between the bottom chrome plastic trim and knob and push down. It'll pop down. There is a set screw on the bottom back side of the knob.

P.J.

nlharter
04-28-10, 09:50 AM
Welcome to the club Tim. To answer your question about finding a Caddy dealer to service your car, I would say yes. Be sure to ask if they have any techs that can work on the V. I think they even have a special class the servicemen go through for V's. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. The Chevy dealer will most likely not handle any problems with the engine and super charger as well as a Caddy dealer. I have read a few post about super chargers getting messed up while at the dealer for service. Enjoy your car, I enjoy mine.

LITTLEELVISDAN
04-28-10, 10:56 AM
Russell,

So in your opinion, is a Chevy dealership just as qualified to handle all the updating/maintaining etc of the vehicle, or should I be finding a bona fide Cadillac dealer?

-Tim NO!! I took mine in to a Chevy dealer when I had a faulty water pump sensor. giving a false hot indication and shutting down the AC and turning on the high speed fans even at cold start on a 30 deg day. ALL the service tech came out to the bay to take a look at the engine and scratch their heads. To only tell me "we haven't been trained on supercharged motors." This coming from a huge Atlanta Corvette dealer. So I asked what about the ZR1, how would I get that serviced... You could hear crickets..... to which they replied "1 guy is scheduled to go to training but he hasn't gone yet."

Not many Caddy dealers know a whole lot about them but with the new CTS-V they are coming up to speed a little quicker.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-28-10, 01:33 PM
It looks like you are getting all the infromation you need from the wonderful community here. If you need any help with things like warranty work for your vehicle you can reach out to me on here.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

CIWS
04-28-10, 01:44 PM
If you need any help with things like warranty work for your vehicle you can reach out to me on here.

I have a question. Why is it so dammed difficult to get a Cadillac dealership to update the ECM / TCM software on our cars, under warranty ? When we ask them to it's usually "no we don't do that" The latest flashes should contain any fixes to issues that have been encountered by the model over time. So like for myself driving an 06 STS-V there have been several updates to the ECM's software from GM dealing with various issues since its release, yet for some reason we are not entitled to have our car's software updated to bring it into currency. It would seem they would be willing to do this in an effort to prevent the customer from even having to experience the issues that have been resolved.

cadillac94pimpin
04-28-10, 03:22 PM
I have a question. Why is it so dammed difficult to get a Cadillac dealership to update the ECM / TCM software on our cars, under warranty ? When we ask them to it's usually "no we don't do that" The latest flashes should contain any fixes to issues that have been encountered by the model over time. So like for myself driving an 06 STS-V there have been several updates to the ECM's software from GM dealing with various issues since its release, yet for some reason we are not entitled to have our car's software updated to bring it into currency. It would seem they would be willing to do this in an effort to prevent the customer from even having to experience the issues that have been resolved.

X1000000

I went to have that doen and the guy "scratched his head" when I brought it up. He said unles I "mention a problem that will benefit from the update" They wont do it. Yet I did mnetion a problem
I even offered to pay for it while the car was under warranty.
The guy had no idea what I was talking about.

Ken ***en Ed morse cadillac Delray beach Florida was the advisor.
ASS HAT!
They need compitent people to deal with customers such as ourseleves who know more then the average Cadillac owner beacsue we do not have an avergae Cadillac. Maybe you need an elite service advisor that knows more about the V series cars. They do exist you guys built them.
Learn how to deal with customers who drive them.

:gun2:

silverws6ta
04-28-10, 05:53 PM

I can sympathize with our community on this; I'm fortunate to have a dealership that is not 'out of control' large, a great relationship with now the owner, general manager, and service manager -- and has a *very* intelligent mechanic (in fact, him and his father are avid Vette guys) -- for example; my car was the first that had ever had the updated NAV firmware installed. I took the TSB, it was written up, and they ordered the disc.. few days later, updated and moved on. I did the same with the ECU/TCM updates -- carried the information in from calid.gm.com and notated the specific issues.. updated as well. The service manager tells his other car buddies I am 'walking GM Technet' -- :)

You shouldn't have to 'grease their palm' for a car under warranty -- and you shouldn't have to jump through hoops. Per GM, for the tech to get paid, it has to be written up as *something* -- so if the tranny is sluggish, TC kicks in erroneously, hard downshift, NAV won't recognize voice commands, hangs, faint Bluetooth caller (part of NAV firmware update) etc etc.. thats all they have to write up to qualify for perfoming the updates. Mine were all performed around 15k miles (12/08) - the only complaint I still have is when cold there is a 'lag/brief disengagement) on the 2-3 shift; I have also noticed this in both my EXT and mom's full size Escalade so I think its nature of the 6L80E

fast_lane10
04-28-10, 10:41 PM
Thanks Bob for your reply ... i started following this forum before i bought my car and i must say it helped me a lot when it was time to pull the trigger... and now that i have bought my dream car .....this forum has answers to almost all my questions....Tim save the money on manual and buy the CTS-V shifter know instead :)...BTW congrats on your new toy ...

jedhead
04-28-10, 10:41 PM
Repeat

cadillac94pimpin
04-29-10, 10:51 AM
"the only complaint I still have is when cold there is a 'lag/brief disengagement) on the 2-3 shift; I have also noticed this in both my EXT and mom's full size Escalade so I think its nature of the 6L80E"

Mine does this too. It didnt do it when I first bought the car though :hmm:

I wonder if a batterty disconnect would cure it. I may have to try that.

timinfla2
04-29-10, 10:59 AM
I can sympathize with our community on this; I'm fortunate to have a dealership that is not 'out of control' large, a great relationship with now the owner, general manager, and service manager -- and has a *very* intelligent mechanic (in fact, him and his father are avid Vette guys) -- for example; my car was the first that had ever had the updated NAV firmware installed. I took the TSB, it was written up, and they ordered the disc.. few days later, updated and moved on. I did the same with the ECU/TCM updates -- carried the information in from calid.gm.com and notated the specific issues.. updated as well. The service manager tells his other car buddies I am 'walking GM Technet' -- :)

You shouldn't have to 'grease their palm' for a car under warranty -- and you shouldn't have to jump through hoops. Per GM, for the tech to get paid, it has to be written up as *something* -- so if the tranny is sluggish, TC kicks in erroneously, hard downshift, NAV won't recognize voice commands, hangs, faint Bluetooth caller (part of NAV firmware update) etc etc.. thats all they have to write up to qualify for perfoming the updates. Mine were all performed around 15k miles (12/08) - the only complaint I still have is when cold there is a 'lag/brief disengagement) on the 2-3 shift; I have also noticed this in both my EXT and mom's full size Escalade so I think its nature of the 6L80E

Silver,
You bring up an EXCELLENT point, namely, ensuring you have 'gripes' to discuss that would ensure that the dealer mechanic engages in the actions that you want - i.e. you mentioned that to get the Nav firmware update, you gave some symptoms, i.e. poor voice command performance, faint bluetooth, etc.

It would be helpful for FNG's like me to have a list of gripes and associated remedies.

So if I want to get my PCM, TCM, et al flashed/updated, it sounds like I should complain about sluggish shifting? To get the nav firmware updated I should complain about Voice Command and Bluetooth performance?

Thank you for any advice.

-Tim

CIWS
04-30-10, 08:29 AM
Looks like we're going to get the same response to the question - (crickets)

silverws6ta
04-30-10, 10:46 AM
So if I want to get my PCM, TCM, et al flashed/updated, it sounds like I should complain about sluggish shifting? To get the nav firmware updated I should complain about Voice Command and Bluetooth performance?

Thank you for any advice.

-Tim

Tim, yes -- and there is also a TSB on the NAV firmware update (sync issues with devices, faint caller, etc); I've posted it on the forums here a few times (and text from it) -- I don't have a hard copy in front of me hand right now but I'll find my post here on the forums.

For the powertrain ECU/TCM updates; to calid.gm.com and enter your VIN; you can then see each update, for each controll/subsystem and what the update has corrected.

I carried that in hand, highlighted with me -

timinfla2
04-30-10, 11:34 AM
Looks like we're going to get the same response to the question - (crickets)

LOL - it's either that nobody wants to share their secrets or they don't want to indulge in answering stupid questions, haha!

timinfla2
04-30-10, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the URL, Silver -

So at the risk of exposing just how big a dunce I am, I am at the site, I entered my vin, chose ECM, and there's a box that says Module with a few options in it.

What should I print out and bring with me exactly? There's also a complete history button but it's all greek to me...

Thank you,
Tim

timinfla2
04-30-10, 01:00 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-2008-CADILLAC-STS-CAT-BACK-DUAL-EXHAUST-GM-OEM-/150260063576?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item22fc329d58

Found this one on ebay - a bit pricey still though...

timinfla2
04-30-10, 02:59 PM
Thanks Bob for your reply ... i started following this forum before i bought my car and i must say it helped me a lot when it was time to pull the trigger... and now that i have bought my dream car .....this forum has answers to almost all my questions....Tim save the money on manual and buy the CTS-V shifter know instead :)...BTW congrats on your new toy ...

Yeah dude, I saw that CTS shifter knob application - that looked really cool. I wish we could get the leather boot as well to complete the look.

I bet there's some enterprising young fellow out there designing a kit for it right now... LOL. Well maybe if we had a few thousand more V's out on the road, it might be worth their while...

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-05-10, 01:24 PM
CIWS, I apologize for my lack of response. If I could I would like to direct message you. Thank you for your time.

CIWS
05-05-10, 01:29 PM
You're certainly welcome too. But I would suggest any possible solution would apply to any of the owners that have or will experience the same problem and they would like to know of a way to get it taken care of. :)

cadillac94pimpin
05-07-10, 10:58 AM
CIWS, I apologize for my lack of response. If I could I would like to direct message you. Thank you for your time.

I am actualy glad you are on here and taking an interest in your customers.

Sorry for the blast it's just frustrating when legitimate issues are not even
acknowledged. I feel that when a person who knows a lot about there own car but is talked to as if I do not know anything really gets to me.

Maybe I just had a bad experience.

CIWS
05-10-10, 08:41 AM
I was PM'd with a response. Since it was sent via PM I'm going to maintain the specific contents as private, unless Jeff wishes to make them public. However I will say that there was nothing new or different in its contents concerning getting our software updated.