: Help!! Cant get my transmission back in

tommy compton
04-27-10, 12:22 AM
I've been wrestling with my transmission all day and finally gave up. It goes in almost all the way, a couple mm from the dowel pins if that, but I can't seem to shake it/push it the last 1/4" or so to get it totally installed. I have tried to close it up with the bolts, but I stop before they get hard to torque. All the wiring harness wires are out of the way, and the slave lines are clear too.
I've had the tranny back out more than once to check the alignment with the alignment tool, and the tool goes all the way in.
It appears the main shaft is through both the discs othe twin disc clutch I installed, but seems to be hanging up on the pilot perhaps.
Anyody have any tips or tricks, because I'm at a loss?
The holes on the transmission seem to be lining up with the bell housing, if anything they maybe off by a mm or two, hard to tell.

heavymetals
04-27-10, 12:39 AM
You don't have any of the hydraulics hooked up do ya? :duck:

Slave shouldn't have any pressure on it.

You should be able to line it up with the bolts in and then it should slide back with relative little persuasion.

I had to turn the output shaft by hand just a tad to get the spline lined up, but it sounds like your past that point.

tommy compton
04-27-10, 12:44 AM
Nope, no hydraulics hooked up. Ya it's past the splines on the discs. I almost think the shaft is at least partially in the pilot.

heavymetals
04-27-10, 12:50 AM
You should be able to put enough bolts in it to line it up properly and it should seat.

If it is crooked at all expect a fight.

Worse case scenario you remove the pressure plate and clutch and do a dry fit.

You can then SWEAR SCREAM and YELL if it fits together as you have a slave that is the wrong length...............(IMO)

tommy compton
04-27-10, 12:35 PM
Worse case scenario you remove the pressure plate and clutch and do a dry fit.

You can then SWEAR SCREAM and YELL if it fits together as you have a slave that is the wrong length...............(IMO)

Ya I could try that. I'll be back at her today. It's driving me nuts, and I'm sick of my car right now LOL.

heavymetals
04-27-10, 01:42 PM
Re thinking it, I suppose you could remove the slave and do a dry fit.

If it goes together I would think the same though (wrong size slave).

GOOD LUCK.

liqidvenom
04-27-10, 02:34 PM
yeah..... working on this car..... lots of fun.

tommy compton
04-27-10, 11:42 PM
Well got her back in, I think it was the dowel pins not lining up perfectly, I should have probably tapped them back into the housing when the tranny was out. I had to evenly tighten between the two bolts closest to the dowels, until it seated. I was Initially nervous about closing it together using the bolts, didn't want to F* up the pilot bearing. Hopefully tomorrow when I start it up I have a clutch LOL.
I've been doing the trailing arms, headers, and clutch all at the same time, and it's been a pain since the start. Torqued a cluth bolts wrong, so on saturday so had to wait until monday for a replacement. Then wrestled with the tranny all monday to no avail. Found out today I need a short 12 point socket for my arp bolts to be torqued, I can't fit the torque wrench and my 12 point long socket, they are almost impossible to find.
Oh ya and the temp sensor right by the manifold crumbled by just touching it so I needed to buy a new one of those, plus I'm going to have to make some kind of repair to the harness conection.
And to top it off B&B sent me the wrong o2 senor extensions, so I will have to make my own.
A two day planned job is now going to take 4 lol, good times.
Tomorrow I have to make the o2 extensions, bleed the clutch, torque the headers, put on the cat-back, put in the sparkplugs, and pray everything works.

rand49er
04-28-10, 12:02 AM
If you were to do another one of these jobs next week, it WOULD take two days with all you've learned.

Frustrating, ain't it?!!

whisler151
04-28-10, 12:04 AM
A two day planned job is now going to take 4 lol, good times.
Tomorrow I have to make the o2 extensions, bleed the clutch, torque the headers, put on the cat-back, put in the sparkplugs, and pray everything works.

And dont forget, in the future any little noise you hear you will second guess the work you did. Was that noise my clutch, are my headers tightened all the way...it never ends.

Congrats on doing all that yourself. That is a lot of work I would not want to tackle. Props.

heavymetals
04-28-10, 03:03 AM
ALEVE is your friend (so is beer). :D

Nothing compares to working on a hot rod unless your having sex in it.......

Congrats!

It also shows you how close the tolerances really are on these cars.

They are built pretty well.

(Just sometimes they drop the ball in the design).

PISNUOFF
04-28-10, 07:45 AM
You don't need the extensionsfor the front O2 sensors. I've had mine in for 1.5 years without issue. You can reach the connectors and they are not stretched.

ELES6CTS
04-28-10, 12:51 PM
Congrats on getting it all back together.

tommy compton
04-28-10, 01:07 PM
If you were to do another one of these jobs next week, it WOULD take two days with all you've learned.

Frustrating, ain't it?!!
Ya I could probably get it done in no time flat now, but right now I don't want to ever think about it again.

And dont forget, in the future any little noise you hear you will second guess the work you did. Was that noise my clutch, are my headers tightened all the way...it never ends.

Congrats on doing all that yourself. That is a lot of work I would not want to tackle. Props.
I had a good friend help me, he told me if i ever need my tranny dropped" don't call him".
I said don't worry we already put my clutch in, next will be cam, heads, and maggie lol.

ALEVE is your friend (so is beer). :D

Nothing compares to working on a hot rod unless your having sex in it.......

Congrats!

It also shows you how close the tolerances really are on these cars.

They are built pretty well.

(Just sometimes they drop the ball in the design).
I am so sore, there is nothing on me that don't hurt.

You don't need the extensionsfor the front O2 sensors. I've had mine in for 1.5 years without issue. You can reach the connectors and they are not stretched.
It seems like I'm about 2-3" short.

Congrats on getting it all back together.

Thanks.

PISNUOFF
04-28-10, 01:33 PM
I think you just pull the in-line christmas tree connector. I know mine has plenty of slack. I just don't like splicing any wires that have to do with sending a low voltage signal that is out in the elements. Over time corrosion could distort your signal and you're AFR will be off.

tommy compton
04-28-10, 01:37 PM
Good tip, I'm going to recheck and see if I can get more slack.

lollygagger8
04-28-10, 01:47 PM
Dang sorry Tommy, just saw this. The clutch disc prob moved/sagged on ya. Even with alignment tool its still hard to keep it straight (esp after torquing on p.plate bolts)
I had the same prob when I put mine together.
Good job on getting it all back in tho boss. With all the work you did it'll feel like a new V!!

tommy compton
04-28-10, 02:33 PM
It's all good. Hopefully done working on her tonight.

bpitas
04-29-10, 01:32 PM
Turning the output shaft may help because if the disk moved around or even the pilot is a little off, rotating things may help ease the pressure, especially if you turn one of the rear wheels back and forth hard. I couldn't get mine in either so I asked my neighbor across the street (Ford mechanic) to come help, and he just cranked on the bolts. WAY harder than I was comfortable doing, but sure enough it went in and I haven't had anything go wrong since then so he must have known what he was doing! I guess I'm just too nice to the damned car, but when he was cranking on it I was picturing either broken mounting ears on the tranny or a bent input shaft. :-)

ctsv154
04-29-10, 03:44 PM
I doubt turning the rear wheels would help much. If the trans isn't bolted to the engine, I doubt it would be connected to a drive shaft lol and FWIW I would never pul a trans down with the bolts. Bad things can happen. Not saying they will, but you talking damaged pilot bearing, input shaft, clutch disc or discs. Just not worth it. Just pull the trans back and retorque the pressure plate with the disc centered properly.

crankedupforit
04-29-10, 08:58 PM
Good job Tommy. Now let's get a report on all the mods.

tommy compton
04-29-10, 11:52 PM
I'm having other problems right now, mainly code p0300, new plugs and wires but still having a misfire, might have dud plug or dud wire, not fun.
LOve the sound of the B&B otherwise, I don't find it too loud at all, infact by the way others descibed it I was thinking it would be louder.
The clutch has a stock pedal weight foresure, but it's not letting me shift smoothly, it's like I have to ease it into gear, mainly second gear.
If bled that sucker lots but still the same feel, don't know what to make of it yet. Trailing arms, well i proceeded to torque the poly bushing side down to spec and it started to squish the poly bushing so I didn't torque the other side so much. Well the side I didn't torque is squeeking, so I have to retorque that down.
I need to step back from my car for a bit.

lilgCTS-V
04-30-10, 09:03 AM
Props man that really seems like a real pain , just putting my headers in I was getting alil frustrated !