: Best Long Life Hwy Tire

ryand
04-26-10, 10:23 PM
Less than 1 year and about 20,000 miles later my $900 dollar set of tires are about up. I understand that this car is limited on what you can run and the hardness of the compound has much to do with the life of the tire.....my question is to all you what tire do you run and what is the longest lasting tire under normal conditions you would suggest?
Current set up is BFG super sport A/S w 400 Treadware rating. Alignment was done about 1/2 way through the tires life.

I drive my car for my job and usually put 25-30k a year, would like a tire that will go 40k. Very little hard driving...cruise gets set @ 78 and thats about it.

The tires are wearing pretty evenly, rotate every 6K but now if lots of issues crossing lanes and un even pavement and noise, noise,noise.

I like Costco Tires BFG, Bridestone,Michelin but am not tied to them would like some opinions of the other brands and aveage lifespans....They are not a screwball typical tire store that trys to hit you up with every kind of fluid flush and BS service under the sun. Also, they replaced all my lug nuts and TPMS sensors. Lugnuts were Chromed not capped for $11.00 for the whole car and TPMS Sensors were 28 each compared to the 90 at the dealer.

Looked at Tire rack and there are some tires out in our size that are over 500 treadware rating....any info?

May just suck it up and put another set of BFG's on rand run a slightly higer pressure (run 30) now. and rotate at 3k per the gm letter.

Dont know what to do! Please help!

nikon
04-26-10, 10:40 PM
Sounds like you need a second car :p

I have bfg kdw 2's and got 35k out of my last set and that includes a track day and overall beating the hell out of the tires, so highway driving may last longer...and costco sells em.

embassured
04-26-10, 10:51 PM
Take a look at the Continental Extreme Contact DWS - it has a tread wear rating of 540 and a mileage warranty of 6 years/50,000 miles. It's a max performance all season and I've been running them for 5,000 miles.

Quiet, smooth and handles reasonably well. My perspective is from running BFGs Super Sport A/S, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, and Sumitomo ASX.

Set aside the mileage and bang for the buck factor, I would buy the DWSs again with no problem relative to the BFGs or the Pilot Sports..

Good luck,
Eric

MVP
04-27-10, 12:33 PM
I just got Pilot Sport A/S Plus, they have a 45k mile warranty. I love them so far, only had them less than 1000 miles. I do the same amount of driving you do. The old tires were the GY RSA's, hated them!

AAIIIC
04-28-10, 04:08 PM
May just suck it up and put another set of BFG's on rand run a slightly higer pressure (run 30) now.
That low pressure is certainly not doing you any favors when it comes to tire wear, gas mileage, and handling. Keep in mind the factory 30psi was recommended for the stock run-flats, which have a very stiff sidewall by nature of their construction. Conventional tires have significantly softer sidewalls, so you'll want to bump your pressure up. That will reduce rolling resistance a bit and improve your gas mileage (albeit only a little, but it sounds like you do plenty of highway driving, so it'll add up), improve turn-in response, and should reduce heat in the tire and thus improve tire longevity. I run mid to upper 30s in my tires. During extended highway driving they were getting up to 40-41psi - as I crossed the country and got into warmer weather I had to bleed a bit out so I was tripping the TPMS alarms every day.

As for tire suggestions, I think the Conti DWSs should do nicely, as would the Pilot Sport A/Ss, of course. The Contis will be a helluva lot easier on your wallet, though!

sefa01
04-28-10, 04:54 PM
Take a look at the Continental Extreme Contact DWS - it has a tread wear rating of 540 and a mileage warranty of 6 years/50,000 miles. It's a max performance all season and I've been running them for 5,000 miles.

Quiet, smooth and handles reasonably well. My perspective is from running BFGs Super Sport A/S, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, and Sumitomo ASX.

Set aside the mileage and bang for the buck factor, I would buy the DWSs again with no problem relative to the BFGs or the Pilot Sports..

Good luck,
Eric

I also ran the Continentals when I had my V1 (used Toyo R88s on 2nd set of wheels for track days). Nice road tire and very reasonable.

Houdini
04-28-10, 05:22 PM
I love my Pilot Sport A/S tires. I think they have around 20k on them and still look great treadwise. Plenty of life left and they appear to be wearing evenly.

rand49er
04-28-10, 06:09 PM
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to tires, but it sure seems the A/S tires have rather high wear ratings in general. Can somebody explain that to this old fart? :confused:

sandd70
04-29-10, 01:50 AM
After getting 20K on Pilot Sport (great tire; handling, response, stick et al) I went with the advice of Tire Rack and local Discount Tire.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Have them for about 5K now. I didn't notice much loss for handling characteristics. Great for highway. Quiet and they perform great for just about everything you will need. Here in North Texas I drove the car in snow, rain, etc.

Plus the 45K Warranty is unbeatable.

Get this tire, you won't regret the decision.

cts-v ls6
04-29-10, 08:40 PM
I put 52k miles per year on my '04 V. I just turned 150K miles. (I bought the car used). I have had the runflats, Continentals, and Michelin. But the very best are the Bridgestone Potenzas. I have 65k on the current set and they look almost new as far as tread life left. I believe I paid about $1000 plus tax for four mounted and balanced. Very quiet, great in the rain, and the car drives like it's on rails.

Jack

branland
04-29-10, 09:20 PM
I just got Pilot Sport A/S Plus, they have a 45k mile warranty. I love them so far, only had them less than 1000 miles. I do the same amount of driving you do. The old tires were the GY RSA's, hated them!

I've got the same set for everyday driving. I bought a set of A6's to race and they are already toast. The A/S Plus is a good predictable tire for everyday driving. I like this tire a lot, but there's not a noticeable difference from a softer tire. The tire gives good feedback near the limit.

darkman
04-29-10, 09:21 PM
Which Bridgestone Potenzas? - Tire Rack lists several.

rand49er
04-29-10, 09:41 PM
Which Bridgestone Potenzas? - Tire Rack lists several.:yeah:

HartmanV
04-30-10, 01:29 AM
I believe he would be talking about the Bridgestone Potenza 960 Pole Positions, these tires wear incredibly well, 45,000 mile warranty but we often see these in the shop well past the mileage.
The Conti DWS has taken the market, excellent review and all season tire...but right now Conti cannot produce these fast enough as they are backordered in many sizes.
If highway driving is your main concern and performance not really in mind, Kumho came out with a new "Z" rated tire called the Platinum LX, 50,000 tread life warranty.

...Check out Discount Tire for all these options:highfive:

cts-v ls6
05-05-10, 09:54 AM
Guys,

Yes, the tires are the RE960AS Pole Position, 245/45 R18, 100W.

Really good tires.

Also, check your local Firestone dealer. I have bought tires over the internet, had them shipped in, and then found a place to mount and balance them. But everyone is hurting for business and alot of the places will deal (yes deal) that wouldn't before.

Jack