: 1968 eldorado trans problems

elcaminokid
04-26-10, 11:09 AM
I'm working on a 68 eldo with the fwd 472 set up. I just finished pulling the motor and cleaning it up after the car had been sitting for years and years. I got it running pretty damn well and soon as that happened I started to hear a terrible whine, rpm dependent even when in park. I know it is transmission related because it was fine when the car was running like crap, would move no problem, but after I got it running better I went to put it in reverse is it was like the e brake was on, it seems very difficult to move, then the whining started. Previously I had noticed steamy smoke coming from the trans fluid tube, I added a few quarts to get it back to the right level, Maybe a little overfilled. I am planning on doing the filter which I know everyone likes to suggest doing, but does anyone have and evidence to suggest it is def the torque converter or pump. I find it odd it just let go like the, the car was in a barn for a long time and apparently only have 40k miles on it I believe.

deVille33
04-26-10, 11:39 AM
The sound you hear is pump cavitation. The steam you have seen suggests to me there is condensation in your fluid. Is the fluid a milky color? If so, I suggest you drop the fluid. After you drop the pan, check the screen and the bottom of the pan. There shouldn't be much wrong here, but it won't hurt to check.

elcaminokid
04-26-10, 12:14 PM
Yeah i am certainly going to drop the pan and do new filter. I was just wondering if there were any tell tale signs of failure I am not aware of, hopefuly like you said its cavitation or something. or maybe adding new fluid to really old potentially separated fluid. Also if anyone is familiar with the FWD, there is a pad with insulation on the back where the drave shaft would normally be, it is soaked with trans fluid, and ideas as to what could cause this,

BRUCE ROE
04-26-10, 01:42 PM
For sure, get uncontaminated fluid + filter in the trans. Since only 1/3 comes out at a time, changing the filter may not be enough. Don't overfill, bubbles are bad too.

If that trans is original, those decades old clutch piston seals and other rubber parts are in great need of replacement. Mileage isn't the issue; take the trans apart, reseal everything, put it back together. Bearings & clutches are probably fine.

I had a 67 that had gotten some water in it. I went to a lot of trouble to try and get it all out of the torque converter. But one day the converter just locked up on me. Bruce Roe

elcaminokid
05-01-10, 08:37 PM
Ok so hes some new information, now after I start up the caddy it doesnt move at all in any gears.. it feels like only initially it engages in gear for a few seconds then just stops moving. I thought that this might have been what appears to be too much fluid in the trans. The fluid on the dipstick appeared red and not too bad looking but high. So I took off the lower line going into the radiator and started it up. It started pumping out a lot of trans fluid, which initially I was happy as I would guess that means it is pumping fluid, but it appeared very thin watery and brown. Which I would assume is clutch material, although honestly I have seen worse fluid come from working transmissions. Oddly enough though it seemed to engage into gear easier after this but could only move 15 feet then it was dead again, although it might actually be low on fluid now.

So do we all still agree that draining the fluid the best I can and new filter is the best idea or will it be pointless.

BRUCE ROE
05-01-10, 09:06 PM
If that were my trans, I'd take it apart, put in all new seals, and replace the torque converter. Bruce Roe

elcaminokid
05-01-10, 09:47 PM
Yeah Ideally I would too but being an eldorado it looks like a super pain in the ass to take out the trans and I just spent a month pulling the motor and doing all of that to get it running again. I do wish i just put a new torque converter in at the time but with it supposed to have been a original low mileage car and a t400 I didn't think anything of it. So I would prefer to try anything easy for the time being unless it is know this is a common problem or something and I should just give up on it and rebuild it. Has anyone ever taken apart the fwd and have any hints?

drmenard
05-02-10, 03:11 AM
The clutches in the transmission are glued together with water based glue... as soon as you get water in the transmission the glue will let go and the clutches will come apart...you are wasting your time trying to fix it without taking it all apart...

elcaminokid
05-02-10, 11:57 AM
Hmm that seems like it was a terrible idea to used water based glue.

deVille33
05-02-10, 12:30 PM
Water is a No-No in transmissions. My guess is the car sat somewhere it was exposed to temperature changes and humidity changes which contributed to the collection of condensate. When you dropped your engine oil, was it pastey? The best barn finds are in barns that still have hay in them. The hay absorbs the moisture and insulates the barn from accute temperature changes. The condensate collected in the drive train oils is minimal.

elcaminokid
05-02-10, 12:32 PM
this is a florida car and no hay. the oil in the engine was pretty watery and separated looking itself. so I guess im just screwed