: C.A.I and Check Engine Light

Stumeat
04-25-10, 11:47 PM
I tried searching to no avail..

I installed a complete Wait4Me cold air intake 2 weeks ago. I did NOT tune. Last night my check engine light came on and my V is idling rough. :banghead:

Did I mess up by not doing a tune at the same time? Anyone have input at this point? I would like to also get exhaust soon and tune it at that point. If it is going to be something that keeps throwing a code, or if doing these 3 upgrades is really pushing my warranty, then I might just put the stock airbox in and enjoy my amazing car.

Please, no flames... Still trying to be cautious with my $60 investment!:hide:

Thanks in advance.

CadV
04-26-10, 12:26 AM
I tried searching to no avail..

I installed a complete Wait4Me cold air intake 2 weeks ago. I did NOT tune. Last night my check engine light came on and my V is idling rough. :banghead:

Did I mess up by not doing a tune at the same time? Anyone have input at this point? I would like to also get exhaust soon and tune it at that point. If it is going to be something that keeps throwing a code, or if doing these 3 upgrades is really pushing my warranty, then I might just put the stock airbox in and enjoy my amazing car.

Please, no flames... Still trying to be cautious with my $60 investment!:hide:

Thanks in advance.

Is it the 4" intake or the modified stock box? If it is the 4" that will make your car run real rich around 10 air fuel ratio. You need to be at a 11.8ish. Sounds like you just messed a plug up. Most important thing is to hook your car up and read the code.

Stumeat
04-26-10, 12:30 AM
Yup, 4"...

ty, will get the code.

CadV
04-26-10, 01:35 AM
Yup, 4"...

ty, will get the code.

Get you some new plugs, I recommend some NGK TR6's. Find a place to dyno tune you car and swap the new plugs. That should fix you up.

Gotham CTS-V
04-26-10, 08:28 AM
Bad spark plugs made my car idle rough. Jesse told me to replace them and I did. Car has been running great ever since.

Stumeat
04-26-10, 12:11 PM
This is great news! I hope to have enough saved up soon to get the exhaust so that I can get the tune asap. I hear the ECU tune makes a huge difference?

CadV
04-26-10, 01:14 PM
This is great news! I hope to have enough saved up soon to get the exhaust so that I can get the tune asap. I hear the ECU tune makes a huge difference?

I would take the 4" intake off until you get it tuned.

Gary Wells
04-26-10, 01:58 PM
Please excuse my lameness here, but is there a chance that the SES light and / or code(s) is / are from the plugs and not the CAI, and therefore, it is reasonable to assume that the CAI would be ok if it weren't for the plugs?

Razorecko
04-26-10, 02:08 PM
I don't think you can do a 4" intake w/out a tune on an automatic car. You can on a manual car but with a slushbox it causes the TCM to get confused.

CadV
04-26-10, 02:11 PM
Please excuse my lameness here, but is there a chance that the SES light and / or code(s) is / are from the plugs and not the CAI, and therefore, it is reasonable to assume that the CAI would be ok if it weren't for the plugs?

It makes the car run way to rich. My guess is the intake messed the plugs up because of how rich it was running.

Mike 09 V
04-26-10, 03:49 PM
Oil from the K&M filter could coat the MAF sensor over time causing a code. I would think the computer would adjust the AF ratio if all the sensors were working right so that you wouldn't run so rich the plugs would foul. Maybe not . Let us know what you find. PS-Does the CAI have a fixed mount for the orientation of the MAF or can it be turned so that it is not square to the air flow. Some of them I think are adjustable and that could screw you up if not right.

Stumeat
04-26-10, 04:49 PM
After talking to Mark (musclesbmf), it might be the orientation of the MAF. it is rotated slightly upwards. I will get the code after work tomorrow and let everyone know whats up.

Thanks for the replies.

NOTE: It is a manual, not auto...

musclesbmf
04-26-10, 06:19 PM
He has his MAF at 45* instead of 90* (or close to) like the stock orientation is. As Jesse has said numerous times, clocking the MAF will change the air sampling thus altering the A/F ratio.

Mark

Gary Wells
04-26-10, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the info. Now I see, said the blind man.

Stumeat
04-28-10, 10:09 PM
Took car in to my favorite dealer tonight. Check engine light had went off, but had the code read anyway. It was running way rich. Turns out I did have it clocked correctly, just need to hurry up and get Jesse's tune in.

I do have 2 questions reguarding this:

1) Since I plane on getting exhaust soon, should I wait until after to to the tune?

2) How much of a difference is there with the tune? Is it very noticable, or is just make the car run a little better and accept the greater amount of air coming in?

GMX322V S/C
04-28-10, 11:48 PM
1) I'd recommend letting Jesse know what you have done or are planning to do to the car so he can send you the right tune(s). He says he's tested many combinations.

2) It depends; how calibrated is your seat-of-the-pants? I had my car for almost 5 months before I did the handheld and it was definitely noticeable to me at that point in time. But right after the drivetrain was broken-in (around a thousand miles) and I first started jumping on it, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between 556 and 656 HP (not that the handheld will add anywhere near that much HP). Everything seemed to be happening violently fast.