: Car died during autocross

AG'S-V
04-25-10, 10:26 PM
Put my car in comp mode, started the course...got a bit sideways, stabilitrac screen flashed and I had no throttle..."service electrical system" then came up and the engine cut out.

I restarted and headed back in...ran the rest of the day with everything off with no issues, didn't try comp mode again.

Actually recorded it happening :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEl5DvoZ0qc

I'm under warranty...kinda hard to "replicate" that, unless I just tell them I dodged a dog and the car died.:highfive:

This the sensor on the steering column starting to go out? I tracked it about a month ago in comp mode all day with no issues.

TIA guys

ELES6CTS
04-26-10, 01:01 AM
That's odd. I have not seen this happen before. Did a CEL come on, or just the "Service Electrical System"?

darkman
04-26-10, 07:13 AM
Put my car in comp mode, started the course...got a bit sideways, stabilitrac screen flashed and I had no throttle..."service electrical system" then came up and the engine cut out.

I restarted and headed back in...ran the rest of the day with everything off with no issues, didn't try comp mode again.

I'm under warranty...kinda hard to "replicate" that, unless I just tell them I dodged a dog and the car died.:highfive:

This the sensor on the steering column starting to go out? I tracked it about a month ago in comp mode all day with no issues.

TIA guys

I would at least take it to the dealer to document the problem. Although it may be just a loose wire or bad ground some electrical problems can get expensive. For example, if it is a bad alternator cable that runs up over the bell housing the labor can run several hundred dollars.

Baltimore07V
04-26-10, 09:55 AM
Check your battery cables. Make sure they are not loose, and make sure the battery is well seated.

AG'S-V
04-26-10, 10:02 AM
Understood, I will do that then.

No CEL light, nothing...car restarted and I was on my merry way. Scanned it after I parked and it was clear.

liqidvenom
04-26-10, 11:08 AM
people prob though you stall it or something

The Tony Show
04-26-10, 11:12 AM
I have no idea about the "Service Electrical" warning, but 1st gen Vs are notorious for fuel starvation under hard cornering if the tank is below 1/4.

AG'S-V
04-26-10, 11:36 AM
Full tank of gas

SuperVeee
04-26-10, 12:49 PM
I had something similar happen on my 05. Turns out the battery cable where it attaches to the starter was shorting out occasionally and playing hell with the electrical system and the computer. It is real tight at that spot. Check to see if your insulation is still there and if anything is cooked.

BTW- after you get it fixed and you are racing - the only time you have your hand on the shifter is when you are shifting. Makes sense but you don't realize that as sometimes you look like a boulevard cruiser and not a racer. Not trying to bust your balls - just helping you get faster.

POS VETT
04-26-10, 12:59 PM
I got something kinda close several days ago driving on a highway. After a quick merge at full throttle, I put the car at a cruising speed of about 70-75 mph and quickly the navi screen flashed "battery not charging". It lasted maybe 1-3 seconds and it disappeared. Car was running normally before, during, and after the message. No clue what happened.

Maybe in your case, the StabiliTrak was drawing quite some electrical power and battery voltage went down quite a bit which affected the PCM. Just a guess though.

AG'S-V
04-26-10, 02:35 PM
I had something similar happen on my 05. Turns out the battery cable where it attaches to the starter was shorting out occasionally and playing hell with the electrical system and the computer. It is real tight at that spot. Check to see if your insulation is still there and if anything is cooked.

BTW- after you get it fixed and you are racing - the only time you have your hand on the shifter is when you are shifting. Makes sense but you don't realize that as sometimes you look like a boulevard cruiser and not a racer. Not trying to bust your balls - just helping you get faster.

I knew someone would say something :). I pay attention to that now after my first track day...real bad habit, no excuse!

I'll throw it up on the ramps this evening and see...that makes sense.

POS Vette, I was also thinking something along those lines...

50 4Ever
04-26-10, 03:39 PM

TIA guys

Comp mode allows you more freedom when you have wheel spin and the back end steps out, but the computer will still kick in when it thinks you're losing it. Sounds to me like comp mode worked properly, but the service electrical system sounds unrelated to me.

Let us know what the dealer says... :thumbsup: