: Hybrid Experiences and Benifits

JCM1
04-25-10, 11:05 PM
I would like to know what is the general opinion of the Escalade Hybrid. Is this system worth having from the standpoint of fuel savings? What is the reliability of the system? Any advice concerning the Escalade Hybrid would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Fast Eddie
04-25-10, 11:44 PM
I test drove one for a few miles before I purchased my regular Escalade. I found the quiet start off strange, but nice and quiet, I could really get used to it. The acceleration felt odd and not very linear, it certainly is not nearly as fast. I found the faster the rpm's got the less push behind it, kinda felt like a diesel. The jet airplane engine sound was also odd, but expected. I also did not care for the brakes. They were not very consistent, nor easy to modulate. At a constant pedal pressure the truck would vary it's deceleration, again it was non-linear. If it were the same price as the normal Escalade I would have trouble going for the hybrid. Considering it costs more, I would never consider it personally...

evois
04-26-10, 01:28 AM
I have purchased a new 2009 escalade hybrid back in september. It works flawlessly and reliably coming from a lexus and honda owner standpoint. According to GM, it is a technology package that works. They produced the hybrid 2 years earlier than their joint venture with BMW, Chrysler and MB. MB and BMW are coming out with their hybrids just now in the ML450 hybrid and the X6 hybrid respectively. it has an electric steering, electronic brake assist=no hydraulic servo boost, no starter, electric A/C compressor,etc. the options on the escalade luxury is standard except for the heated steering wheel. towing is 6000 lbs max. It came out in the 2007 models of GMC yukon hybrid and Chevy Tahoe hybrid. It was only available in the escalade model year 2009. so far, there have been no reliability issues first hand. the hybrid components is warrantied for 8 years and 100k miles! realtime mileage is 19mpg city and 20 hway using the selectable 4auto 4wd. mileage is better if you change it to 2hi. for more experience with the hybrid try, http://greenhybrid.com/discuss/ there has been some resistance in this forum to add the hybrid model in this website:(

SouthernCaddy
04-28-10, 06:45 PM
well I get 19mpg and 403 horse power and no lag and my battery only cost 85.00 to replace. I will stick with the real thing.

Fast Eddie
04-28-10, 08:20 PM
well I get 19mpg and 403 horse power and no lag and my battery only cost 85.00 to replace. I will stick with the real thing.

Exactly....

evois
04-29-10, 12:19 AM

is this city mileage? that is great!:cool2::worship::worship:

btw my battery is free > $85

North49
04-29-10, 02:31 AM
I think the concept is great for the city drivers that cannot stomach the 12 MPG around town. As an aging but somewhat redneck performance enthusiast, I chose to stay with the high performance engine and the better highway mileage. Most of my travel is highway with cruise control.

From the reports that I have read, the Hybrids are great for their purpose.

ewill3rd
04-29-10, 10:05 PM
The Hybrid's design make it a benefit for city driving.
On the highway they have no real advantage.
The braking system on it is very complex and due to the design of it, be prepared to have it feel "strange". I'd go into detail but it might freak some people out. :lol:

It still has a lead acid 12V battery, it just comes with an extra 300V battery under the back seat.
I don't see many of them in for service, just a few small items here and there.

The power steering is 42 volt 3 phase and the A/C is a 300V DC electric compressor. Most of the systems you interact with are still regular 12 Volt systems.

SouthernCaddy
04-30-10, 08:36 AM
give them a few years, I think they will start giving problems.

Big Windy Ext
04-30-10, 09:25 AM
Well everything breaks , just good to see no obvious flaws out of the box.

evois
04-30-10, 10:40 AM
they actually did this that is why they were able to jump the gun and produce the hybrid in short time vs co-developer BMW, MB, Chrysler. two years ahead of the other companies.

http://www.mathworks.com/company/pressroom/articles/article40188.html

Paul-in-CA
04-30-10, 02:31 PM
Hi All,

been "lurking" for a while --thought I would reply to this one...

I have 6000 miles on my 09 hybrid......got it for a great price last year so it seemed a good deal.

I get 16 to 18 miles per gallon - I would like to hear what others get.

I like the quiet - it is cool to drive through parking lots on battery power only.

Power is down - does surprise people when I get on the freeway - weird power band / shift points.

It is not perfect though - I think GM has a few wrinkles to sort out....mine spent 3 weeks at the dealership for tranny problems. They did fix it and it is fine now.

Question: what is real world mpg for a regular escalade ?

let me know if you have any questions.

-Paul

evois
04-30-10, 03:13 PM
19 city and 20 highway with me:) on 4wd auto. improved if using 2hi mode instead of the 4wd auto option. no tranny issues.

Paul-in-CA
04-30-10, 03:34 PM
evois - nice mpg's - I forgot mine is a 4x also but in Califoria it is always is 2wd :cool2:

it really depends how much <25 mph you do - if you can be on battery for a while if really helps the mpg's.

also keeping your foot out of it

-Paul

evois
04-30-10, 04:30 PM
evois - nice mpg's - I forgot mine is a 4x also but in Califoria it is always is 2wd :cool2:

it really depends how much <25 mph you do - if you can be on battery for a while if really helps the mpg's.

also keeping your foot out of it

-Paul

the only caveat of this story is I'm using premium. maybe it is a waste of money but the V8 to V4 fuel management stays in V4 longer, esp if there is no knocking.

evois
04-30-10, 04:31 PM
the hybrid is the only vehicle that gets improved mileage just by idling the vehicle or be in traffic.

Paul-in-CA
04-30-10, 06:51 PM
evois --I just got back from a 100 mile rt to SF -- 19.5 mpg @ 75-80 mph.......good enough for me.

I use the cheap stuff -- maybe next tank I will try better gas.

-Paul

silverws6ta
05-01-10, 12:56 AM
The Hybrid's design make it a benefit for city driving.
On the highway they have no real advantage.
The braking system on it is very complex and due to the design of it, be prepared to have it feel "strange". I'd go into detail but it might freak some people out. :lol:

Somehow I feel the whole, back-feed, servo controlled reluctor gear magnetos out of this :bouncy: -- or some kind of variant..

Big Windy Ext
05-01-10, 09:53 AM
Someday I hope to see a capacitor start system , no replaceable batteries , just 400 hp of hole shot gitty up.

SouthernCaddy
05-01-10, 10:20 AM
The way I see it is that you have 2 drive systems on this truck, the old tahoe engine and drive train and then the electric system with all of its components. Now I believe that this will give you at least a 40% chance of having more problems than the normal escalade. Couple that with the cost and the fact that in 10 years the trucks will problally not be worth much as the batteries goes out of warranty and no one will want to buy a used hybird, you will find that the investment may not have been a good one on paper. But hey if you like it, drive it. It is your truck you paid for it. Most people rather pay for the gas and have the power. But that is your choice. Enjoy

evois
05-01-10, 04:12 PM
..... But that is your choice. Enjoy

that is the main thing:cool2:

sedluk
05-05-10, 09:33 AM
I have a 2009 Hybrid Escalade 2 wheel drive. I took a 150 mile highway drive a few weeks ago and got 22.5 mpg, it was flat and I probably averaged 65mph. Mileage drops if you go faster, you pick up a few if you go slower.

Suburban driving I seem to average 20 mpg or better. But I am an easy going driver and not in a hurry.

No problems with the hybrid, I had the vehicle in for a sticky lock recently and the rear hitch cover fell off and is being replaced under warranty.

The vehicle makes some interesting whining noises when driving around town. You can hear the hybrid system, but that is easy to judge for yourself. I would not call it distracting, but others could.

I would think that the value of a hybrid would depend on your driving style. If you are always in a hurry, gunning it at every stop, I would say why bother with a hybrid. You might save a few gallons. It might pay off after a few years, but what is the point?

If you are like me and have a laid back driving style and enjoy saving fuel, the hybrid is nice.

lousy_investor
05-05-10, 12:59 PM
The way I see it, any of these green initiatives aren't going to save anyone any money. Maybe I am just cynical but the whole thing is an excuse for companies to make money. Put aside reliability potentials, weren't there reports that examined what the ROI was for such systems? Like solar water heaters, tankless water heaters, electric cars, hybrids, whatever. Now I don't know whether the hybrid comes with more options than the standard model, but up here in Canada they are listed at $10k more. How much gas can it really save again? 30%? So you will have to spend $30k in gasoline before you get your money back. But you might argue that I want to be green and be environmentally friendly. Well, in that case, one can argue that you shouldn't be driving an Escalade if you are environmentally friendly to start with. Secondly, and more importantly, what happens to the battery after they are done? Do we yet have a safe way to dispose of batteries? All that chemical inside the batteries can't be too friendly to the environment.

And that's what bugs me about the whole electric car business. Apart from the battery problem, you lose 10% of electricity on friction during transmission on the powerline. And how do they generate electricity in the first place? We are not France and we don't generate 90% of our electricity with Nuclear. So you end up burning carbon based fuel anyway, just not directly.

Can't stand the hybrid print on the sides of the vehicle either. :)

Sorry that I digress, and I apologize for hijacking the thread. Will get off the soap box now.

evois
05-05-10, 05:51 PM
The way I see it, any of these green initiatives aren't going to save anyone any money. Maybe I am just cynical but the whole thing is an excuse for companies to make money. Put aside reliability potentials, weren't there reports that examined what the ROI was for such systems? Like solar water heaters, tankless water heaters, electric cars, hybrids, whatever. Now I don't know whether the hybrid comes with more options than the standard model, but up here in Canada they are listed at $10k more. How much gas can it really save again? 30%? So you will have to spend $30k in gasoline before you get your money back. But you might argue that I want to be green and be environmentally friendly. Well, in that case, one can argue that you shouldn't be driving an Escalade if you are environmentally friendly to start with. Secondly, and more importantly, what happens to the battery after they are done? Do we yet have a safe way to dispose of batteries? All that chemical inside the batteries can't be too friendly to the environment.

And that's what bugs me about the whole electric car business. Apart from the battery problem, you lose 10% of electricity on friction during transmission on the powerline. And how do they generate electricity in the first place? We are not France and we don't generate 90% of our electricity with Nuclear. So you end up burning carbon based fuel anyway, just not directly.

Can't stand the hybrid print on the sides of the vehicle either. :)

Sorry that I digress, and I apologize for hijacking the thread. Will get off the soap box now.

like the first post ask and the answers after would matter, it will be repeated here again. a regular escalade gets "real world" 9mpg city and the hybrid get 19-20mpg city-how can that be an increase of only 30%? my guess is "100%" increase in city mileage. how often do you fill up with the hybrid? a long time in between fill-ups. with the gulf of mexico accident, the scenario will even get worse. less oil/fuel to go around during the summer, increase in oil/fuel prices. it doesn't hurt in the pump because the hybrid is not a guzzler. now if we are talking about ROI, there are other alternatives out there like the honda pilot, MDX, tahoe, yukon=that doesn't hold water. we chose to get the escalade because we like it. the hybrid is just icing on the cake:cool2:

lousy_investor
05-05-10, 07:14 PM
like the first post ask and the answers after would matter, it will be repeated here again. a regular escalade gets "real world" 9mpg city and the hybrid get 19-20mpg city-how can that be an increase of only 30%? my guess is "100%" increase in city mileage. how often do you fill up with the hybrid? a long time in between fill-ups. with the gulf of mexico accident, the scenario will even get worse. less oil/fuel to go around during the summer, increase in oil/fuel prices. it doesn't hurt in the pump because the hybrid is not a guzzler. now if we are talking about ROI, there are other alternatives out there like the honda pilot, MDX, tahoe, yukon=that doesn't hold water. we chose to get the escalade because we like it. the hybrid is just icing on the cake:cool2:

I just wasted my time looking thru the previous posts because I do think they matter.. but I didn't see any mentioning of 9 MPG "real world" driving by ANYONE. I only drive mine to take my 3 year old to school and back, all city driving and gets about 12. I also found one post saying he is getting 16-18 on a hybrid and would like to see what others get, and one saying he is getting 19 MPG on a regular. Now I would love to hear how I could get 19 also, but the point is we are all here to share experiences, seek help and offer opinions, and I don't think it is fair for you to attack me with misinformation.

BTW, let's do some math here. To use the more conservative 12 MPG. Mileage improvement for the hybrid would be (19-12)/12, around 60%. I know it is only $6k or so more in the US but up here in Canada it is $10k more. So for me to justify the purchase and a positive ROI (btw, the I in ROI is for the investment on hybrid... not sure why you brought in all those irrelevant vehicles) I would need to spend $16666 on gasoline. I am sure it will make sense to some who drive more than I do. Again, I brought out analogies in tankless water heaters that may take 10 years for the investment to pay itself and it may break before I save enough on electricity. But for those who run a spa, the payback time will be a lot sooner.

This is almost a debate about religion and yes, I do have a bias, like I said in my original post, against the fancy green products, mostly due to the marginal savings and the toxic chemicals found in some of them.

Alright, that's my last post on this thread. I don't want to get kicked out of these forum for causing trouble because I just LOVE all the experiences and knowledge being shared here.

Fast Eddie
05-05-10, 07:31 PM
My wife is getting 12 around town, very short driving- 1/2 mile to 1 mile at best. She also beats the snot out of the truck (she keeps asking me why that little yellow triangle shows up on the dash when she gives it gas!!!)...

silverws6ta
05-05-10, 07:57 PM
My mom averages about 15.5 in her SUV (mixed more country highways) and right around 15 for my EXT (mixed with intake) hers also has 11k on it where mine has 5 so that makes a difference I'm sure too. As for the Hybrid argument, at least they are ESCALADES -- not some goofy a(donkey)ss looking Prius about to ram us in the a(donkey)ss from no brakes!

greatcir
07-16-10, 09:16 PM
After three Escalades that usually were ripping around town, I bought a Hybrid E. If I choose to punch it, it has enough juice to jump into any interstate ramps. But I did not buy it to punch nor to make a statement. I simply decided to drive more within the speed limits and to save some money on my purchase as I turned in my leased vehicle.

Mine E Hybrid was listed at a price very close (like $1,000) to the regular E. They gave me a large discount because the hybrids are not selling well with relatively cheap gas. They forgave my last three lease payments and I financed the balance due at 0% interest for 72 months. I get a $2,200 tax credit for buying the hybrid. I now burn regular gas and my average around town mileage has gone from 12.9 up to 17.0 and it keeps climbing as I am learning to drive a different way. My goal is 19 around town and now I can see I can do it if I pay attention.

The green Efficiency gauge is really helping me. If I accelerate too quickly it moves to the right. If I decelerate (brake) too quickly it moves to the left and this is the area I am having the hardest time changing my driving habits. Never realized how much gas I wasted decelerating. When the instant gas consumption shows 3 mpg it is a lesson to me. When it hits 45 mpg going down a grade it is fun to see. When the tach shows the engine is not running at a stop light it shows 99 mpg (limit).

My wife sees no differences riding or looking at it as I bought the same white diamond I have always owned. Ya, the Hybrid sign is big. I may look at removing them. The absence of a spare tire is my main disappointment and the %$#^% removable back seats with no room are unchanged but I take them out and store them. The air compressor with run juice probably will handle most of my flats. There is a $650 GM kit to add a spare but it is a 17 inch (mine are 22) and the bulk of the cost is rerouting the exhaust and a heat shield. My dealership has never seen the kit. It lists on the web for around $500. Think I'll just forget it and not carry the extra weight and use OnStar.

The vehicle is much quieter to my ears without the tuned exhaust at all speeds. The electric steering seems more responsive, but the regenerative brakes are a booger to use for close quarters. Just having the electric A/C running when stopped is also quiet.

Big surprise to me is that if I keep the Efficiency gauge vertical as I enter traffic and pull out from stop signs that I am always in the regular flow of traffic and not holding anyone back. I have also found far fewer vehicles to bitch at ahead of me as my rolling white tank used to be right on their bumper.

So it is more geeky and a challenge to operate the way I want to drive. Be fun to mark off a 100 mile course and have a mpg challenge. I'm content with my money spent (and saved) and my new driving habits. Sure not for everyone, but I am a big guy and the E fits me like a glove and the 8 yr. 100,000 mile hyrbid equipment warranty will be for someone else to see end as I trade more frequently than that.................................Pete

evois
07-17-10, 12:43 AM
just drove to vegas two weeks ago for the summer and got 25.4 mpg highway and 24.5 city(of vegas). everybody is not in a hurry, hence I got the best mileage so far. keep the needle in the middle(efficiency) and getting this mileage is easy to attain. the road has to be flat though.

zam2000
08-04-10, 03:00 PM
Would love to get a hybrid, unfortunately, it doesn't offer benefit that attract me to the Escalade on the first place:

- Long wheel-base ESV
- legroom on third row (even baby can't sit there)
- Captain chair on second row

I tested drive the hybrid and don't mind the inconsistent on engine noise, power, and brake feeling. My ESV get 11 mpg on avg, if I could get 18-20, it would be a blast.

But giving my needs, the hybrid wont meet.

IT WOULD BE MY DREAM THAT CADILLAC BUILDS A TURBO DIESEL ESCALADE ESV. Just like the Audi Q7 TDI V10.