: Where do you place your jackstands on your V?

WesH8398
04-25-10, 06:50 PM
Might seem like a goofy question, but I'm curious where you guys consider "safe" places to put your jackstands when you're working on your V. Ovbiously, I know where to place the jack itself (the arrows on the trim help!), but where under the body do you trust for the stands?

nikon
04-25-10, 08:28 PM
If the whole car is going on jackstands I'll jack it up in a spot where I can put the stands on the spots where the hockey pucks would normally go (oval holes)....I usually just jack the car up in the middle and set both stands at the same time.

WesH8398
04-25-10, 09:35 PM
If the whole car is going on jackstands I'll jack it up in a spot where I can put the stands on the spots where the hockey pucks would normally go (oval holes)....I usually just jack the car up in the middle and set both stands at the same time.

Where in the front do you jack from the middle?

I realize I'm sounding like I've never been under a car before here, but I can assure you guys I've done a bit of DIY stuff on various cars. I just like to know things like this when I'm dealing with an unfamiliar vehicle ... and, of course, I don't wanna do anything to hurt my new V :D

RADARB8
04-26-10, 02:20 AM
get hockey pucks

rand49er
04-26-10, 08:19 AM
This is a good question. I look for a place where the jackstand won't slip/slide/tip. Typically, that's a solid frame member somewhere.

I should add that I've never felt completely at ease no matter where I place the stands. I ususally leave a floor jack or two in place as well. Redundancy is a good thing.

Twitch
04-26-10, 09:16 AM
Like Randy, I always leave the jack under the car. And it's great when I can work with a ramp under the wheel. They're cheap and amlost foolproof.
I put the jack stand on the outer part of the frame (near the doors). And I use a short 2x4 to spread the weight.

WesH8398
04-26-10, 10:01 AM
What/where are the hockey pucks for?

Twitch, if you're putting the stands there, then where do you jack it up? My experience with other cars is that if you put a jack or stand along that lip where it's not reinforced (and a designated jack point), the lip just bends and crumbles.

nikon
04-26-10, 11:51 AM
these are the hockey pucks, the little metal piece slips into the oval holes under the car.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=42076&dept_id=1095

And since I've lowered the car I'm forced to jack it up from the rear, my low pro jack won' reach the frame rail in the front. Otherwise, before it was lowered just place the jack aft of the oval hole.....and you don't really need the hockey pucks, although I'm sure they'd be nice to have.

stinkpalm
04-26-10, 12:43 PM
If your car is too low to get to the central jack point in the front...I'm assuming all Vs are, then build little wooden mini-ramps to drive the front wheels up on, then you can get to that front brace to jack up car.

Twitch
04-26-10, 01:01 PM
What/where are the hockey pucks for?

Twitch, if you're putting the stands there, then where do you jack it up? My experience with other cars is that if you put a jack or stand along that lip where it's not reinforced (and a designated jack point), the lip just bends and crumbles.
I put them between the ebrake cable and the rocker panel. It seems to be stronger there. A 12" 2x4 spreads the weight, and I've sat in the car without anything bending. Like Nikon said, I jack it up by the frame.