: Navigation swapp v1 to v2 is it possible???

78biarritz
04-25-10, 04:34 PM
Just bought my first V it is an 05' I was wondering if it is at all possible to swap the new style dash center cluster from an 08 to present for the older style that is found in the 04-07 v? Any input or ideas would be great...really like the look of the new center and style of it...plus touch screen and blue tooth would be an added bonus...thanks Matt

50 4Ever
04-25-10, 04:47 PM
Given enough money anything is possible. The 09 to present V's have a completely different style NAV unit, the screen pops up, so it wouldn't be just a double din replacement. Seems to me that the dash would have to be redone to accommodate this.

http://carspondent.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/ctsvint-300x225.jpg

:confused: Interesting question...

JimmyH
04-25-10, 07:31 PM
for the amount of money it would take to swap in a second gen dash, you would be better off building your own custom one-off design.

JimmyH
04-25-10, 07:33 PM
if you just want a better nav or bluetooth, get a garmin nav (run the power wire up through the a pillar and splice the source into the cigarette lighter; you will hardly know it's there, and when using it you will still have your built-in screen dedicated to music) and for bluetooth, click on the link for galaxy 1000 ---------------------------------->

78biarritz
06-09-10, 09:14 AM
Thxs for your input...here is the link to the ebay auction I'm currently entertaining the idea of buying...I would custom fit the whole center section into the dash...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-2009-Cadillac-CTS-V-Navigation-Kit-/330440104576?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item4cefc3da80
I am interested in knowing how the wiring will work are the plugs drastically different? I am willing to pick up the v2 wheel as well for the buttons...it comes with the Bose amp and other computer modules...interested in swapping the heat controls too...any other input would really help...and inspire me to pull the trigger and try it...thanks Matt

xcaliber50
06-09-10, 06:15 PM
If what you are interested in is getting a touch screen nav into you car while still get your computer controls to work. You might have better luck trying to modify a STS NAV. I still doubt it would work but I see that as a better option. if its the dash you're bound and determind to get i'd guess you'll end up spending more than a good downpayment on the used V2.

It's an interesting idea, but I think you'll see that your hitting a wall of trying to get new technology into an obsolete car.

JimmyH
06-09-10, 08:08 PM
wow, good luck with that. I can see why you are tempted. All of that for $1500. Still, for that money, you could get a decent aftermarket radio that will be simple to install. If you buy that V2 console, you could spend weeks with your car completely torn apart and get no where. And no support from anywhere. I doubt any shop is going to want to take on that project.

Still, if you are able to do it, you would have probably the most unique CTS-V on the planet.

ewill3rd
06-09-10, 08:40 PM
You might find it easier to work on that old lead into gold project or possibly work on cold fusion.

I can't even tell you the staggering difficulties you are looking at.
Not only do I not think it will work I think it REALLY won't work.
Apart from the actual fit of the components, the data buses on those cars are not even compatible, the VINs won't match, the amp won't work.... it hurts my brain to even think of the other problems....

78biarritz
06-10-10, 11:43 AM
:suspect: HAHAHA you guys made my day...I so needed a little comic relief with all the stress I have had lately...the reason I started being interested in the swap is that on caddyinfo.com threre is a link to someone who did pull off the swap...I wish my wife would give me the approval to put the down payment on a v2...I thank you guys again for the suggestions to get my head out of my ass and not even try it...:banghead:

JimmyH
06-10-10, 05:06 PM
well if someone did it, there goes the unique factor...

Houdini
06-10-10, 06:03 PM
Link to someone that did it?

xcaliber50
06-11-10, 12:50 PM
Link to someone that did it?

Definate +2 on that. I'd love to check out a successful swap-out. Especially if it show'd how he/she did it.

0AT E03
06-11-10, 12:53 PM
Gen 1 uses Class 2, Gen 2 is GM LAN 29-bit, not even the same type of communication in the car. So you'd brake all that stuff and might as well go with a striaghtup aftermarket unit.

If you really want a GM look you'd be better off trying to adapt a Truck Radio.