: Guys need help with oil leak for racing caddy

bigds01
04-24-10, 07:17 PM
So we got everything back together, started right up, and now we noticed oil dripping. The best guess is the rear main seal.

Now, how can I replace that seal without removing the engine, just the tranny? What is the best way to do the job? I also should probably do the oil gasket at the same time. Any other major gaskets to do?

I really need advice on the tranny drop here.

I should mention that there are lots of things no longer connected or on the engine, e.g. cruise control, hvac.

Submariner409
04-24-10, 07:28 PM
Jackstand the car, lower the cradle with allthread rods/washers/nuts and remove the transmission and torque converter. The rear main seal comes out and goes in with a special installer rig. Two variations.

Oil pan (?) has to be done with the engine out of the car and upside down on a stand.

bigds01
04-24-10, 07:37 PM
When you take down the cradle don't you then have access to the oil pan? If I read your directions it looks like it should take like all of 5 minutes to drop the tranny, so clearly I am misreading.
Nope.

Submariner409
04-24-10, 10:41 PM
:confused: Where did that come from ?

bigds01
04-24-10, 10:59 PM
So clearly I am confused. The shop manuals have functionally been useless in this endeavor.

What is the procedure to drop the tranny, leave the engine in the car so I can replace the rear seal.

I believe it is the rear seal because it is a lot of oil, not seepage. Everything else I read said it is highly unlikely that it is the half case or oil pan.

I do have the rear seal installer.

bigds01
04-26-10, 07:26 PM
I just got the seal tool on ebay for 38 bucks. I can really use some help on how to separate the tranny.