: Damn pinion shaft seal...

lightningpe
04-24-10, 03:28 PM
Hey Guys, My V just eclipsed the CPO the end of Feb. I was under her changing the oil and noticed the pinion seal is leaking (again). I had it replaced under the CPO in June '09 and the dealer I used has a statement printed on their receipt. It says that all parts and labor are warrantied for 1 year or 12k mi. I called the dealer this AM and the service person I spoke to said that she wouls have to check with her service manager and see if the repair can be made under their warranty. She stated that CPO repairs are not covered under the dealer warranty. DO you guys have any input, tips, or tricks for me. I feel that this should be covered as they did the repair and it has failed. Let me know what you think...TIA.

rand49er
04-24-10, 05:46 PM
Can't help you with warranty aspects of it, but I did have my pinion seal replaced just the other day. Bought the seal from Luke (:thumbsup:) last summer, had extra Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 and 4 fl oz of their limited-slip additive leftover, and had a local shop do it. Labor cost: $145.

Baltimore07V
04-24-10, 10:01 PM
Hey Guys, My V just eclipsed the CPO the end of Feb. I was under her changing the oil and noticed the pinion seal is leaking (again). I had it replaced under the CPO in June '09 and the dealer I used has a statement printed on their receipt. It says that all parts and labor are warrantied for 1 year or 12k mi. I called the dealer this AM and the service person I spoke to said that she wouls have to check with her service manager and see if the repair can be made under their warranty. She stated that CPO repairs are not covered under the dealer warranty. DO you guys have any input, tips, or tricks for me. I feel that this should be covered as they did the repair and it has failed. Let me know what you think...TIA.

I thought GM parts came with a 1 yr/12,000 warranty as they are GM parts. Might want to check that out.

Also, how good is your relationship with this dealer? I would just speak the manager regarding the problem. I would also speak to other dealers as well. My stance with the manager would be: If you replace a Genuine GM part, what is the standard parts and labor warranty that comes with it from your dealership? The second question (if its the 1 yr answer), would be does it matter who pays for it? If they say no, then ask them why they are not standing behind their repair job from last June. If they yes, ask them why you would take your business to a dealership which has treated you like a second rate customer, just because it was warranty work. Obviously if warranty work is a read headed step child, then you don't trust their ability to stand behind what they do. Its a bit of a catch 22, but it should get you somewhere.

Obviously, a bit of finese would be required, but something like this they should work with you on. They other thing I would do, is call another service writer at another local shop, and ask them their policy on any work. Also call your CPO warranty, and ask them their guarentee on any repairs to boot. Just so you have a reference on any work done on the CPO, and what their warranty is on their work.

A few thoughts.....

lightningpe
04-24-10, 11:22 PM
Thankx for the input. I think I may try the approach you suggested.