: Purchased a new 2010 ESV

Horns82
04-23-10, 04:23 PM
Well, I purchased a new 2010 ESV fully loaded and have had it for less than a month and I am now having to have my transmission replaced. It was leaking transmission fluid so I took it in and they told me the transmission case is cracked. I find it hard to believe that it is cracked. My guess is something internally failed and this is what they have to say to get the transmission replaced. My question is - do I have any recourse to demand that the dealership get me a new ESV now?

Thanks.

hcvone
04-23-10, 05:16 PM
There were some cracked cases reported on the GM truck site, so it is possible it was just cracked. I had one of my 07's Escalade's explode in my garage after owning it for less than a month, they replaced the truck, I did get to drive my old truck that received a new engine while my replacement truck was being built, and to tell you the truth I hated to give up that truck even though it had a replacement engine in it because ran so good. My dealership really helped me on the replacement thing, of course buying dozens of cars from this dealership didn't hurt, you can always ask, you would be best to call the 800 number and start a case file, and talk to the dealership and tell them you are not happy with having a new trans installed after a month. My 2010 Escalade has been in the shop more times than all my Escalade put together (3) , gas cap replacement, bad connector in fuel pump wire harness, adjust rear liftgate, all my other Escalade's (2) times, but on the bright side my local Chevy dealer services Caddy's, and they tell me bring it right down and we will fix it now. :)

Punmax
04-23-10, 05:30 PM
Why would you a demand a new truck? The transmission obviously failed, and they're replacing it for you. Sounds fair.

buckeyefan007
04-23-10, 07:58 PM
Why would you a demand a new truck? The transmission obviously failed, and they're replacing it for you. Sounds fair.

I guess it would depend on whether they are going to put brand new transmission in or a rebuilt one.

hcvone
04-23-10, 08:08 PM
I don't think the trans failed, it sounds like it was leaking from a cracked case and they are replaceing the whole trans, or at least that is how I read it. I would ask for a new truck if my one month old truck had to have the trans replaced, probably not going to get one but you can ask. :)

Fast Eddie
04-23-10, 09:06 PM
I would assume (and demand) they are putting in a brand new tranny. If so, it is a fairly straightforward R&R operation. I would have no problems keeping the truck after that. These things happen, a new tranny should act/ perform/ last exactly as a good original one...

humberto
04-23-10, 09:06 PM
I don't think the trans failed, it sounds like it was leaking from a cracked case and they are replaceing the whole trans, or at least that is how I read it. I would ask for a new truck if my one month old truck had to have the trans replaced, probably not going to get one but you can ask. :)

I agree with hcvone they should replace the truck being only a month old.If not make sure they replace the trans with a new one and not rebuilt.I think if it was me i would demand a new truck by getting in touch with head office cadillac good luck.

Texas_Lade
04-24-10, 12:23 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that I'd be on the phone with the dealership about a new truck. If they played hard ball I'd be on the phone with the 800 number. And if they played hard ball I'd have my attorney write them a letter. I would not settle for a new transmission until all else failed. If all else did fail then I would DEMAND a NEW transmission and start the whole process over again if they did not comply. There are a million laws out there to protect the consumer.

Fast Eddie
04-24-10, 11:31 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that I'd be on the phone with the dealership about a new truck. If they played hard ball I'd be on the phone with the 800 number. And if they played hard ball I'd have my attorney write them a letter. I would not settle for a new transmission until all else failed. If all else did fail then I would DEMAND a NEW transmission and start the whole process over again if they did not comply. There are a million laws out there to protect the consumer.

Yes there are many laws, against lemons, not against a single defect that is easily repairable. If they fix it and it comes back, then I'd start asking for a new vehicle. But come on, we are being a little ridiculous here. Next you'll demand a vacation home as compensation b/c they had to fix your truck for free. It is a defect, everyone has them from time to time, sh*t happens, it is how they take care of the problem that counts. A brand new tranny installed in a brand new truck should perform exactly the same as the original. I had an engine replaced on my '05 EXT and I never noticed a bit of difference....

tonygxp
04-25-10, 11:32 AM
I pulled the Trans out of my TBSS no less than 7 times in three years swapping parts/converters, etc. The truck never rode any different after pulling the trans.. It was like getting up the nerve to do something you were nervous about. the first time it's difficult but after that it's nothing at all. I would however take it to my own mechanic and have him check all the accessible nuts/bolts/brackets. Sometimes one guy will miss one or two things, but i wouldn't sweat a defect in the casting of a trans, get GM or th edealer to give you like a few free detailings and every three months it'll feel like you just bought it. good luck, no sweat.

Big Windy Ext
04-26-10, 08:57 AM
They probably would be receptive to an extended warranty . I can understand your concern over such a large failure , kind of hurts resale too.

corvette00
04-26-10, 09:36 AM
I had new Eldorado in 94 that had to have the trans replaced after two months. I never had any issues after the replacement. With that beign said, I also had new SSEi Bonneville in 93 that required an engine replacement after three weeks. I had continued problems with this vehicle after the replacement. I would not worry about a trans replacement.

Horns82
04-26-10, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the responses. I've logged complaints with the GM of the dealership and called the 800 number to start that process there. I'll end up with a bumper to bumper 100,000 mile extended warranty, which is nice. They said I would be getting a brand new transmission and not a refurbished one. I'll trust, but verify on that. I've also received assurances that if it happens again I'll be taken care of, but I fully expect to not have any more problems with it.

Punmax
04-26-10, 06:54 PM
Good to hear! :thumbsup: