: Idler Pully Replacement

krimson_cardnal
04-23-10, 02:52 PM
96 Sedan Deville blew the idler pulley. Any heads up when replacing? Old one has a cupped piece that mounts between the pulley and the block. New pulley does not have that piece. Do I simply use the existing bolt - seems it would work. K_C

kjasey
04-24-10, 10:42 AM
Hello, I just did this on my 99 sts. It was easier then i thought it would be. Just release the tensioner....dont have to remove the belt just push it out of the way. Theres just the one bolt u have to get to. I couldnt fit a ratchet in there so i used a wrench..cant remember the size. Its kind of a long bolt so be patient and keep turning. Its a tight area to the frame on the 99sts but theres enough room for it to come free. I think thats the bracket you are refering to..mine was a little rusted but i reused it..it all comes out at once. I wish they would include that piece with the new Idler pulley bot they dont....u have to reuse it. Never looked into buying that piece or if they even sell it. Yes.. use the same bolt..careful not to strip it.

krimson_cardnal
04-24-10, 11:43 AM
Thanks kjasey. Looking like it's the mounting boss I'm needing to replace. Existing is beyond service. Any ides anyone?? K_C

krimson_cardnal
04-26-10, 10:06 AM
Here's a shout out for anyone who has struggled with an idler pulley gone bad. I need help! This is the repair that might put my Deville over the top - really hate to see it go for a parts car, but that might just be it. Hard to think a $15 pulley could cause such a headache, but then again, I know better than that . . . . ...

To restate my situation - the idler pulley failed and tore the mounting boss to bits. Any fix been done - without dropping the engine?? I'm not sure, but it seems as if the 'boss' is a separate part well, at least, it is now. K_C

krimson_cardnal
04-26-10, 11:57 AM
For those needing to know, when replacing the idler pulley - go to Cadillac. The replacement they sell includes the bolt and spacer. The RockAuto one I got does not and in talking with them they cannot get the needed fasteners. Cadillac price $53 + tax. Sorry no part number, but they search off the VIN so it's correct. K_C

Necrosan
04-28-10, 06:38 PM
I just went through this.
You get Pulley, Bolt & spacer from the dealership for $48 + tax.
New spacer is all one piece, not like the old one.
Much less prone to break or make noise.