: V-Coupe.....DRIVEN!

MReiland
04-23-10, 08:15 AM
Ed P. took me for a spin yesterday at lunch in his 6-sp manual V Coupe. (I got to drive it back from lunch!)

Yeah..... it was awesome. Anyone waiting for one of these will be impressed. The pipes out the back are HUGE! Seemed to have a little more throat in the exhaust as compared to the sedan. It's definately fast, really fast. Ed told me the rear wheels are an extra .5" wide also in the coupe. The interior had an interesting yellowish contrasting insert in the Recaro's a little shocking when you first get in but it grew on me right away. Had all the other goodies like the Alclantra wheel and shift knob, backup camera etc. The back seat is a +2 with a center console, leg room and head room will be a bit tight but it IS a coupe.

Overall, a HOT car.

nharris
04-23-10, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the first look. I have been crazy about the design of this car since I first saw it. The only issue I have with the interior is that I cannot appreciate the two tone deal with the seat and side panel inserts. I guess I am old school but I think it looks ricey.
In the non-recaro package is the single interior color available? Thanks and I really appreciate having GM people contributing to the website.

Greg*
04-23-10, 08:27 AM
The only issue I have with the interior is that I cannot appreciate the two tone deal with the seat and side panel inserts. I guess I am old school but I think it looks ricey.

:yeah:

MReiland
04-23-10, 08:28 AM
Yes, the 2 tone I believe is optional on all the seats from what Ed told me. I will check into it and find out for sure today.

CIWS
04-23-10, 08:53 AM
How was the rear visibility looking out the back ? blind spots,etc ?

MReiland
04-23-10, 09:03 AM
Driving around, it wasn't bad at all, I could definately live with it. Backing up is a little scary, I am not used to having a backup camera but it helped a ton as you could glance at it to see everything you can't by looking over your shoulder. I wish all cars had a backup camera now.

cbloveday
04-23-10, 09:37 AM
I thought the preliminary wheel width on the rears was gonna be 10.5.
Are the rear wheels 10 or 10.5 width and what size tires are on the rear?

MReiland
04-23-10, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the first look. I have been crazy about the design of this car since I first saw it. The only issue I have with the interior is that I cannot appreciate the two tone deal with the seat and side panel inserts. I guess I am old school but I think it looks ricey.
In the non-recaro package is the single interior color available? Thanks and I really appreciate having GM people contributing to the website.

Looks like the Ebony/Saffron interior is a V-Coupe only option on both seat choices, standard is solid light Titanium or Ebony on both seat choices.

MReiland
04-23-10, 10:41 AM
I thought the preliminary wheel width on the rears was gonna be 10.5.
Are the rear wheels 10 or 10.5 width and what size tires are on the rear?

Got some answers from the guys that know everything:

-Coupe has 10.0 inch wide rear wheels, Sedan is 9.5 wide rear wheels (both have 9 inch fronts).
-All cars share the same tire fitment - 255/4019 fronts, 285/35R19 rears. So even with the same tire on the rear of both sedan and coupe, the wider Coupe wheel spreads the tire out laterally.
-The Coupe rear wheel width difference uses the hub offset difference (56 mm on sedan 9.5 wheel, 45mm on 10.0 wheel) to manage packaging to the bearing hub, brakes and suspension,and bodyside wheel opening
-Coupe wheels are 0.5 kg heavier due to extra width.
-Coupe wheels 'may' not be a direct fit on sedan without some interference. I have no data either way on that issue.

wfo
04-23-10, 10:57 AM
In your opinion. If one wanted to transfer their current sedan 'aftermarket' wheels to this coupe, (20x9 front and 20x10 rear) would it look right?

Or,would they really need to go a half size wider to make this look right?

cbloveday
04-23-10, 11:52 AM
I just spoke to my parts guy at the dealership and they just got the coupe parts brochure on line. I asked about the coupe rear wheel fittment on the sedan and he is getting a coupe in mid May. Suggested we consider swapping a wheel to see if it will fit without issue. We will look to see if the wheel and tire will fit on my sedan without any interference. I will let you all know what happens. I utlimately want to try and get more rubber on the road. I will see about a wider tire if possible

neuronbob
04-23-10, 12:08 PM
Thank you Matt, once again, for sharing. You are the man!

The V Coupe is gorgeous. Drop dead gorgeous. Now we know it's fast, too. :drool:

Edit: Oh, and you are a lucky bastage for getting to drive the 6MT version. :D

StoopidSavant
04-23-10, 03:58 PM
Got some answers from the guys that know everything:

-Coupe has 10.0 inch wide rear wheels, Sedan is 9.5 wide rear wheels (both have 9 inch fronts).
-All cars share the same tire fitment - 255/4019 fronts, 285/35R19 rears. So even with the same tire on the rear of both sedan and coupe, the wider Coupe wheel spreads the tire out laterally.
-The Coupe rear wheel width difference uses the hub offset difference (56 mm on sedan 9.5 wheel, 45mm on 10.0 wheel) to manage packaging to the bearing hub, brakes and suspension,and bodyside wheel opening
-Coupe wheels are 0.5 kg heavier due to extra width.
-Coupe wheels 'may' not be a direct fit on sedan without some interference. I have no data either way on that issue.

A little bit of a quick tangent, but do you guys do your engineering in metric or imperial units?

I must say, I quite envy you in your position. At my company, no way would an engineer be allowed to take a vehicle out for a quick jaunt...

...which might be because we make business jets.

King335i
04-23-10, 04:07 PM
Yes! Finally some shots of the V coupe in the real world! It looks even better than I had hoped, these things need to start hitting the damn dealerships already...

Prof
04-23-10, 04:18 PM
Note to GM...over stock on those exhaust tips...it could be a nice revenue opportunity!

Very sweet ride...and I have a great desire to see that the new rear wheels fit nicely in our V2's!

Caddyscat
04-23-10, 04:35 PM
I thought those rear wheel looked a bit deeper! Awesome post!

digital1021
04-23-10, 06:15 PM
This is awesome, I just dropped my order list off to my dealership yesterday, so it is great to see a V Coupe so near production. I have no doubts at this point wether or not it was worth waiting for a V coupe instead of just getting another sedan.... Woo Hoo.

~Matt M.

Inven Design
04-23-10, 09:01 PM
Looks great

dvandentop
04-23-10, 11:04 PM
thanks for sharing awesome post.

coupe looks good i am sure it will pick up quite a few bit more V sales.

Ed Piatek
04-23-10, 11:25 PM
I just want to thank Matt Reiland on this forum for what he's done to help answer so many questions and work to improve customer satisfaction for those who have bought GM products. The new V Coupe is the highest performance Cadillac in the storied history of Cadillac, and those of us who have had the privilege to contribute to the development of the car realize the responsibility of such an opportunity. Thank you for your interest and support of the the V Series product line. It was great to take a spin with Matt on the first Salable V Coupe with a manual transimission car (VIN 000006), and I'm convinced that everyone who has a chance to drive one will feel the same.

Thanks

Ed Piatek
Program Engineering Manager

cbloveday
04-24-10, 12:15 AM
Thank you Ed for your good work. I look forward to the release and reviews!

chopmeat
04-24-10, 12:31 AM
Wow, great, thank you for posting!!

CadV
04-24-10, 12:48 AM
I will never like that ass ever :P

dvandentop
04-24-10, 01:01 AM
Ed can you try to get the recaro seats available through the parts counter for us non recaro owners, that would be great :D

OldRoadDawg
04-24-10, 10:06 AM
The new V Coupe is the highest performance Cadillac in the storied history of Cadillac,
h-mmm... :confused:

Is he inferring that the V2 sedan just fell to #2?
And if so, what's his definition of "highest performance"?

CIWS
04-24-10, 10:12 AM
h-mmm... :confused:

Is he inferring that the V2 sedan just fell to #2?
And if so, what's his definition of "highest performance"?

Will have to wait for official numbers before this can be seen as truth or just PR.

CIWS
04-24-10, 10:21 AM
I just want to thank Matt Reiland on this forum for what he's done to help answer so many questions and work to improve customer satisfaction for those who have bought GM products.

Thanks

Ed Piatek
Program Engineering Manager

I realize this is way out of your realm, but you guys at corporate need to do something about the dealerships and their service departments that are giving you a bad name. One of your very best dealerships (Lindsay Cadillac) is on this forum and these are the guys that should be the model for others to follow. Top notch service and their employees willing to give up their time to answer folks questions about issues they may be having. They help the name Cadillac maintain a high reputation.

Despite all your great engineering efforts in the V cars, if an owner takes it to get service and they don't fix the problem and/or damage the car worse (as has happened to me multiple times) requiring follow up visits to get resolved, they will not be a returning customer.

PGA2B
04-24-10, 10:34 AM

Too bad they do not offer a tone on tone for the inserts. That may look a little better IMHO.:thumbsup:

neuronbob
04-24-10, 11:29 AM
Thanks for posting, Ed. The V Coupe seems as awesome as the sedan. Kudos to all!

MReiland
04-24-10, 03:48 PM
I realize this is way out of your realm, but you guys at corporate need to do something about the dealerships and their service departments that are giving you a bad name. One of your very best dealerships (Lindsay Cadillac) is on this forum and these are the guys that should be the model for others to follow. Top notch service and their employees willing to give up their time to answer folks questions about issues they may be having. They help the name Cadillac maintain a high reputation.

Despite all your great engineering efforts in the V cars, if an owner takes it to get service and they don't fix the problem and/or damage the car worse (as has happened to me multiple times) requiring follow up visits to get resolved, they will not be a returning customer.
The GM/Dealer relationship was definately strained going through bankruptcy, it is one of the top priorities for Mark Reuss and the team he has put together. Until recently, many of the dealers that are probably having the hard times were on the chopping block so that has a lot to do with it also. The dealer network is always going to be there so it is up to GM and the network to start working together to make the sales and service experience better for everyone and learn from the best of the best like Lindsay.

JBsZ06
04-25-10, 07:44 AM
this car just slaughters the competition...

Audi?
BMW?
Mercedes?
Infiniti?

They don't compare..

This new coupe is a stunning beauty.

I want one bad! LOL

Thanks for the heads up.

JB

CIWS
04-25-10, 09:15 AM
The GM/Dealer relationship was definately strained going through bankruptcy, it is one of the top priorities for Mark Reuss and the team he has put together. Until recently, many of the dealers that are probably having the hard times were on the chopping block so that has a lot to do with it also. The dealer network is always going to be there so it is up to GM and the network to start working together to make the sales and service experience better for everyone and learn from the best of the best like Lindsay.

Just as an FYI these experiences started long before the bankruptcy (05 CTS-V) up through the current V and it's with a dealership that was never in danger with GM, and I'm pretty sure just won the #1 sales award for Cadillac.

I appreciate your response, but don't want to take the coupe thread off track, thanks.

fastv
04-25-10, 01:32 PM
I'm loving the coupe. Might just give up my sedan for one.

Prof
04-25-10, 01:44 PM
Or just add one!!

nradcad
04-25-10, 03:38 PM
If Ed finds his way to Houston for any reason, I sure would love to meet him. You engineered a phenomenal car.

IBNR
04-25-10, 04:39 PM
Is the coupe going to get a HUD? That would be one awesome retrofit for the sedan, along with the integrated backup camera, please....

King335i
04-25-10, 05:38 PM
Do want. Now.

King335i
04-30-10, 08:55 AM
:mad2: More info, now please. :devil:

MReiland
04-30-10, 10:42 AM
:mad2: More info, now please. :devil:

What would you like to know, I can see if I can find out or get more pictures to help.

King335i
04-30-10, 06:41 PM
Something! Anything! Firsthand accounts, test drives, photos, videos, reviews!!!! :bighead:

I know that I must be patient, it may still be a while before my thirst for the V Coupe is satiated, but my hunger for info knows no bounds! :bonkers:

CIWS
04-30-10, 07:18 PM
this car just slaughters the competition...

Audi?
BMW?
Mercedes?
Infiniti?

They don't compare..

This new coupe is a stunning beauty.

I want one bad! LOL

Thanks for the heads up.

JB

Infiniti doesn't build a performance variant of their cars. But the other three makers do so they're fair to compare. :)