: silly question possibly...425

BRICKS
04-23-10, 12:45 AM
tore the heads off my spare 425 finally and want to put the block on my engine stand. might be a silly question but does anyone know the bolt size/thread pattern/length etc. to attach the block to the stand?
i was told it was 9/16 maybe. also anyone know "which" puller will take the crank pulley off? mine broke(harbor freight) and my friends universal(auto zone) didnt fit the threads. might have to get something from snap-on. thanks.

deVille33
04-23-10, 09:00 AM
Bolts are standard 3/8". As for length, that depends on you engine stand head. I use old starter bolts with spacers on mine. My puller is an old Herbrand. If I used something else I don't rememer.

cadillac_al
04-23-10, 09:06 AM
I'm pretty sure those are common 3/8 bolts about 5 inches long. I have always used old starter bolts all my life but I probably should buy some better bolts someday. I can't think of the proper name for the puller I use to remove the harmonic balancer. It's kind of flat with long slots to fit any bolt circle diameter. I haven't looked at a Caddy balancer but if it is like Chevys and Olds, you just unbolt the pulley and use those bolt holes to attach your puller. I use an old valve retainer in the center hole so I don't damage those threads in the crank.

deVille33
04-23-10, 09:39 AM
I use an old valve retainer in the center hole so I don't damage those threads in the crank.

That's a great tip. I'll have to remember next time.

Thanx

cadillac_al
04-25-10, 08:42 AM
I just saw your post before mine deville33. We must have been typing about the same time. I'm glad I'm not the only one that uses starter bolts to bolt the engine to the stand lol.