: Purchased a Jaguar on a whim

97DevilleBeige
04-22-10, 10:10 PM
I've wanted a convertible for years, really liked the XK8... last week I drove by one parked on the side of the road, made a u turn, and there was a for sale sign in the window. I fell in love instantly.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs386.snc3/23597_523022362623_79201842_30932854_3146461_n.jpg

So... before I bought it I brought it to my mechanic who checked it out very crudely (he was afraid to touch the car). All seemed well but for a slight oil leak.
...after I bought it, I brought it to a Jaguar dealership to inspect everything and see what it needs. $3600 quote for the most urgent things:
Replace radiator hose
Replace lower ball joints
Replace 2 motor mounts
Alignment
Inspect right rear marker light.

What wasn't included at that price, but suggested:
Antenna mast loose
Cam cover gaskets leaking
Lower valance broken
Front sway bar bushings
Emission service
Power steering/brake fluid flush.

Brought it to a different mechanic right afterward, and he checked everything out, saying all he suggests is replacing the upper radiator hose (which I had him do for $130). Nothing else is critical, just keep an eye on them.

All in all I'm still satisfied with the purchase and makes me smile just thinking about it.

orconn
04-22-10, 10:30 PM
Jags are easy to fall in love with and the XK8 is especially appealling! What year is your Jag and how many miles does it have on it? If you really want to keep this car I would start saving money for a repair and maintenance reserve. $5000. in an interest bearing account should be your lowest objective.

I always advise anyone contemplating the purchase of a used Jag to have it check out thoroughly by a knowledgeable and reputable Jag mechanic. Also when buying a used Jag there is really no such thing as a bargain, going down the Jaguar road it is always best to buy best one available; if one of these is not within your budget, lower your sights. As has been said many times on this forum, "An $80,000. is no bargain if you can't afford to maintain it and the parts and maintenance on an $80,000 will still reflect the cars initial cost."

V-Eight
04-22-10, 10:49 PM
Never been a huge fan of Jags, but thats a GREAT lookin' car!

Jesda
04-22-10, 11:29 PM
Thats such a ridiculously beautiful car. I was very strongly looking at a late 90s XK8 last year. It was a teal colored one in California.

I'm not sure how I ended up with a Saab instead. :cookoo: Oh yeah, the giveaway price. :D I think the Jag I looked at was previously in an accident too, which is why it was so cheap. I think they wanted 7 grand.

Few cars look as classic and timeless as the XK when the top is down:
http://images.automotive.com/cob/factory_automotive/images/Features/auto_shows/2004_CIAS/2005_Jaguar_XK8_convertible_rear.jpg

I actually like how the roof folds into a tall pile of hardware on the rear deck. Its very old-fashioned and unique. The whole car is stunning.

gdwriter
04-23-10, 12:12 AM
I love the looks of Jaguars, but I'm too chicken or cheap to consider owning one. Hope you enjoy yours, though.

gary88
04-23-10, 12:16 AM
Nice, congrats! One of my friends has an XK, but his transmission just gave out. Hopefully you got a somewhat reliable example.

Aron9000
04-23-10, 12:58 AM
That XK is really sexy.

Jesda
04-23-10, 03:29 AM
Do you have any pictures of the interior? I love the ear-to-ear wood dashboard. It looks like the cockpit of a biplane.

97DevilleBeige
04-23-10, 10:04 AM
Orconn: The car is a 98 with 115k miles. I used to be all about low mileage when buying cars, inspected the hell out of them, etc, and when I did that on my DeVille with only 40k miles on it, I needed to replace the engine. So this time around, I said screw it, just get one in good condition, regardless of miles.

Jesda: No pics of the interior yet, but I'll work on that today.

Question for you guys... occasionally while driving around 30-50 MPH, when I press on the gas lightly, I get a grinding noise coming from the back by the tires, I let go of the gas, and it goes away, sometimes, when I re tap the gas it'll happen again, but most of the time it goes away. What do you guys think that could be?

itschrome
04-23-10, 11:04 AM
Question for you guys... occasionally while driving around 30-50 MPH, when I press on the gas lightly, I get a grinding noise coming from the back by the tires, I let go of the gas, and it goes away, sometimes, when I re tap the gas it'll happen again, but most of the time it goes away. What do you guys think that could be?

wheel bearings? Also those cars have several problems that every one seems to get. On being the e-brake coming loose causing the shoes to rattle or grind when under acceleration. Often this noise is identified in the rear down by the tires. But i'm no mechanic or jag expert. just throwing that out there. Also if you ever hear a loud grindin from under the hood stop ASAP and turn off your car. the timing tensioners are made of plastic and wear out, when they do they Fubar your engine.

Nice ride though BTW. Hope it doesn't sink ya! then again look what forum we are on, haha.

JimHare
04-23-10, 11:16 AM
Your story sounds very similar to what happened with my Jag experience - I was 21 years old, semi-dropped out of college, working in a truck factory, and living in a apt/rooming house we owned in West Chester. Drove past Speedcraft in Devon one day, there it was sitting out front. Primrose Yellow E-type convertible. V12 and all... I paid 7K for a 1-year old Jag that was $14K new, had only 6,000 miles on it. Had the car for about 16 months, and apart from a loose door hinge, a bad fuel level sending unit, and one little thermostat thingy in the emission controls, had no problems with it. Sucked Sunoco 94 like it was water, and an oil change took 12 quarts, but that was a very smooth powerplant for the time. Considering I traded up from a Volvo P1800.. lol

EcSTSatic
04-23-10, 02:08 PM
The XKE is still the sexiest car on the planet. Like any love affair, they are expensive to maintain :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-23-10, 05:51 PM
With all due respect, that's a nice car (not my cup of tea), but I hope you have a lot of fun with it! Nothing like owning a high line European car, especially at a young age! Is it true that Ian Callum designed the XK8 AND all the Aston Martins since the DB7?

I saw a pretty nice looking Jaguar V12 convertible from the '80s yesterday. Were those called XK12's or are those the older ones?

97DevilleBeige
04-23-10, 06:17 PM
Thanks Chrome for the help. Guess what happened today on my ride around town running errands? The "Handbrake Applied" warning popped up even though it wasn't... I guess I know what that is now. Thanks everyone for the well wishes, and as promised, here's a few more photos:

Bro-Ham
04-23-10, 06:57 PM
Those Jags sure are pretty! Do some research on the 97-99 V8 engine. They have a problem with some kind of a lining on the cylinders, or some such thing. I think they were improved around 2000 or so.

I had a 99 Vanden Plas that I bought about 5 years ago. It had about 50k miles when I bought it. Engine seized shortly after, towed to Jag dealer. Luckily the car had the Jaguar certified warranty on it and the whole engine was replaced for me at no charge! They didn't tell me how much the bill was. I felt so lucky, like I had a brand new car, that I kept the car past the warranty period. That was a really bad error in judgment since the transmission went out at 80k miles a couple years later. That was $5,500 to replace with a new one - out of my pocket, warranty had expired.

Hopefully the acquisition cost was low on your car because replacing an engine or transmission in one of these early V8 Jags out of warranty will make you wonder if you should fix the car or just buy another one. Good luck!!! :)

ben.gators
04-23-10, 07:34 PM
Those Jags sure are pretty! Do some research on the 97-99 V8 engine. They have a problem with some kind of a lining on the cylinders, or some such thing. I think they were improved around 2000 or so.

I had a 99 Vanden Plas that I bought about 5 years ago. It had about 50k miles when I bought it. Engine seized shortly after, towed to Jag dealer. Luckily the car had the Jaguar certified warranty on it and the whole engine was replaced for me at no charge! They didn't tell me how much the bill was. I felt so lucky, like I had a brand new car, that I kept the car past the warranty period. That was a really bad error in judgment since the transmission went out at 80k miles a couple years later. That was $5,500 to replace with a new one - out of my pocket, warranty had expired.

Hopefully the acquisition cost was low on your car because replacing an engine or transmission in one of these early V8 Jags out of warranty will make you wonder if you should fix the car or just buy another one. Good luck!!! :)

Replacing Engine and Transmission in first 80K miles, then people complain about reliability of Cadillacs!

96Fleetwood
04-24-10, 07:34 AM
Congrats on the XK convertible purchase, looks amazing and what an excellent deal! I always loved that generation and the current generation, they look very much like the Aston Martins of the same era!

My parents just sold their '09 XKR Conv't... it was a mean machine:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r247/wmu37/Jaguar%20XKR/IMG_1115.jpg

Best of luck with it!

Bro-Ham
04-24-10, 10:10 AM
Replacing Engine and Transmission in first 80K miles, then people complain about reliability of Cadillacs!

I sure enjoyed the way my car rode and drove. I'm also happy to not own it any more. :) The extended warranty saved my rear end because the dealer was eager to fix and replace things and the car seemed to need everything during the 3 or so years and 30+k miles I had it.

Jaguars are so sexy that it's easy to overlook the problems. I've known plenty of Cadillac owners who have had similar nightmares. Newer Cadillacs don't have anywhere near as much sex appeal as Jaguars and that's why people will buy a Jaguar and put up with the insanity because the car is fun to be in and be seen in. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-24-10, 11:06 AM
I was always interested in the 96-02 (I think those are the right years) Jaguar XJ's, and actually thought about possibly buying one when I had that S-Class. What blew my mind was the size difference between the two of them. I can remember pulling behind an XJ8 at a stoplight and seeing it was much shorter than my S320, and then I sat in a Vanden Plas later and distinctly remember it having almost no headroom compared to the Benz, but I guess that's the way the XJ Jaguars have always been...low, tight, lithe, sexy and sporty, especially when compared to their boxier, bigger Teutonic competition.

Bro-Ham
04-24-10, 12:18 PM
Chad, The XJ style you're talking about was 1995 through 2003. XJ6 for 95-97. XJ8 was 98+. The V8 was introduced in 1997 for XK8 and sedans got it in 1998. Jaguars are sexy little, low, yet luxurious cars. I'm laughing to myself remembering splitting my pants a couple different times sliding down into the driver's seat when I had mine.... :) :)

orconn
04-24-10, 12:45 PM
I was always interested in the 96-02 (I think those are the right years) Jaguar XJ's, and actually thought about possibly buying one when I had that S-Class. What blew my mind was the size difference between the two of them. I can remember pulling behind an XJ8 at a stoplight and seeing it was much shorter than my S320, and then I sat in a Vanden Plas later and distinctly remember it having almost no headroom compared to the Benz, but I guess that's the way the XJ Jaguars have always been...low, tight, lithe, sexy and sporty, especially when compared to their boxier, bigger Teutonic competition.

About Jaguars ... you got it, except you left out, at many times, better riding, handling and quieter too! Unfortunately, with Jaguars, the over engineered, overly expensive and sometimes unreliable parts of the German wonders, are just plain cheap and unreliable in Jaguars. Don't get me wrong, I love Jaguars for what they are, but having owned seven of them and having been affiliated with The Jaguar Club of Virginia for several years, I would never own one with out sufficient funds in reserve ... or sale before the warranty runs out!

concorso
04-24-10, 01:39 PM
Orconn, these stories make me sad. One of the earliest posters I had on my bedroom wall as a child was a XJS12 pre-facelift. Ive always wanted to buy a well loved version...but it seems like Id spend more time fixing it...

Bro-Ham
04-24-10, 03:39 PM
Don't be afraid of the dark. If you love a car and, as orconn says, you have the $$$ to make it happen, then live dangerously and go for it! It's only money and having one of these cars gives you good reason to earn more of it.

orconn
04-24-10, 04:54 PM
Don't be afraid of the dark. If you love a car and, as orconn says, you have the $$$ to make it happen, then live dangerously and go for it! It's only money and having one of these cars gives you good reason to earn more of it.

^^I agree with your sentiments completely. My very first car was a 1958 XK 150 Drophead; I was lucky the car had been owned by a local Ford dealer who had given it a beautiful new paint job, a new clutch and being a "California" car there was no rust! After a thorough detailing and refurbishment of some interior panels, new battery, tires and a custom made tonneau cover, I had a really nice bit of British transportation for a daily driver. I have to say I grew up in Pasadena and Los Angeles where Jags were a common sight, even in the early 1950's ( the first one I ever saw was a prewar 2 1/2 Ltr Drophead Coupe with headlights the size of dinner plates, that a schoolmates Dad picked her up in one day. My Uncle Bill bought an XK 120 roadster in 1949. If my previous week's deportment justified it my mother would stop on the way home from shopping at Peter Satori's import dealership on Colorado Blvd. so I gould admire the Jags, Rolls, Alfas, and lesser offshore breeds. I quess you could say I was hooked at a young age and I have to say my luck with Jags has been nothing less than phenominal. With the exception of my first and last Jag's all were bought new and sold after three years ownership. My last Jag, a 1964 E-type coupe, I bought from its' original owner on the recommendation of my longtime mechanic who had maintained it since new, I owned and drove the E-type for 21 years and kept in excellent "survivor" condition; showing it a few times in VJC annual JCNA Concours d"Elegance hows where it took 1st place on both occasions.

I say all this because I am not a newcomer to the mark, and because I wish our young new owner the best of luck with one of the finest GT automobiles on the planet, and with some fore knowledge of what he may be up against
can be prepared to deal with the downside of owning a great luxury car.

Bro-Ham
04-25-10, 04:35 PM
gotta pay to play :) Life's too short to drive something crappy. :)

orconn
04-25-10, 05:41 PM
By the way, for those that think the "oval" air opening at the the front of an XK8's "bonnet" (hood) was copied from a Taurus, let me correct that impression. The XK*'s styling was drawn from the original Series I Jaguar E-type which also had an oval opening for radiator air on the leading edge of its hood. So this styling feature of the different series XK8's is merely carrying forward a cue from the original XKE.

Jesda
04-26-10, 04:32 AM
The X300 XJ6 is still my favorite.

http://www.jcca.us/Articles/con00/fb-x300.jpg

eyekandyboats.inc
04-26-10, 07:00 AM
nice jag! that is fantastic, and my favroite style as well. just a side note
for your "emergency brake applied", that will often come up if you need a brake job ( if its sesnor equiped)
or possibly all the out side pads are good but the inside pad is wore down. check it out

Rocket88
04-27-10, 11:39 AM
Couple of things.....

The transmissions are not really a weak point on these Jags, tho the Mercedes transmissions in the supercharged "R"'s do last longer.

The engine issue existed for 2 years, and was not really Jags fault. They used a new type of cylinder liner called Nikasil that offered a ton of benefits, but in use was chewed up by high sulpher fuels. To Jags credit, they fixed the problem once in for all in 2000, and never had that issue again. They also looked after the owners damn well under warranty too.

The other thing you want to check is the camshaft tensioners. If the engine sounds rattley for a few seconds from the front of the engine on a cold start, get those done right away. Not a terrible job, but it can lead to big problems later on.

Overall, a very nice car, and not that expensive to keep on the road. A wash with a Caddy cost and reliability wise, I would say. Might actually be more reliable than a Caddy of similar vintage. Just make sure you find a good, independent Jag repair shop.

Bro-Ham
04-27-10, 12:44 PM
Couple of things.....

The transmissions are not really a weak point on these Jags, tho the Mercedes transmissions in the supercharged "R"'s do last longer.

The engine issue existed for 2 years, and was not really Jags fault. They used a new type of cylinder liner called Nikasil that offered a ton of benefits, but in use was chewed up by high sulpher fuels. To Jags credit, they fixed the problem once in for all in 2000, and never had that issue again. They also looked after the owners damn well under warranty too.

The engine problems existed in 1997, 1998, and 1999. My car with the bad engine was a 1999. You are optimistic about Jaguar standing behind the problem - I was told I would be out of luck if I didn't have a warranty, which I was lucky enough to have. Jaguar didn't stand behind my faulty transmission. I'm over 21, all part of the fun.

Overall, a very nice car, and not that expensive to keep on the road. A wash with a Caddy cost and reliability wise, I would say. Might actually be more reliable than a Caddy of similar vintage. Just make sure you find a good, independent Jag repair shop.

I found just the opposite to be true. Although these cars drive well and look sexy they are, nevertheless, English cars and they break all the time and cost plenty to fix. If you don't have a little corn tucked away in the silos for the many rainy days you'll inevitably have when you own a Jag then you'll be in deep weeds as you spend your hard earned money that came from your blood, sweat, and tears. Buy a Jag if you're in love but realize the reality of emotional difficulties you'll have if you get the lucky number and your car collapses into pieces and you just realized that the money you keep trying to put into a 401k continually evaporates going to pay for your independent English car mechanic who, you'll find, lives in a far nicer house than you do. :)

orconn
04-27-10, 01:38 PM
I can't disagree with Bro-Ham, having owned several Jags alongside Cadillacs, I have to say the Cads were much more reliable and cheaper to own. Jags are wonderful soul food and if they speak to you, by all means take the plunge, but be aware of what you are getting into; the engine weaknesses are more numerous thanalready described here (plastic timing train components and their ills ran over many years and were, supposedly corected only in the late 2000's). The cars that the buyer on a limited budget are able to afford fall into years when attemts to correct these problems were piece meal at best during these years. As for independent Jaguar shops, yes they are cheaper than Jag dealerships (which run a very close second behind those of Mercedes) but profient highly skilled labor doesn't come cheap these days. Over the last fifteen year I have found independent foreign car garages to be over priced and under warranteed (at least at my Cadillac agency "Mr. Goodwrench" stands behind the parts and in most cases the labor used in the repair). All this being said Jaguars do things Cadillacs don't and if what they do is worth it to you by all means take the plunge!

Rocket88
04-27-10, 04:36 PM
The engine problems existed in 1997, 1998, and 1999. My car with the bad engine was a 1999. You are optimistic about Jaguar standing behind the problem - I was told I would be out of luck if I didn't have a warranty, which I was lucky enough to have. Jaguar didn't stand behind my faulty transmission. I'm over 21, all part of the fun.

2.5 model years? Is that better? :)
They went on sale as 1998's and by MY 2000 the change was made. Compared to a N*, for instance, which after a decade and a half may still not be totally right, I would say Jag did a much better job.

Don't expect any manufacturer to replace a worn out transmission after the warranty is done.

I found just the opposite to be true. Although these cars drive well and look sexy they are, nevertheless, English cars and they break all the time and cost plenty to fix. If you don't have a little corn tucked away in the silos for the many rainy days you'll inevitably have when you own a Jag then you'll be in deep weeds as you spend your hard earned money that came from your blood, sweat, and tears. Buy a Jag if you're in love but realize the reality of emotional difficulties you'll have if you get the lucky number and your car collapses into pieces and you just realized that the money you keep trying to put into a 401k continually evaporates going to pay for your independent English car mechanic who, you'll find, lives in a far nicer house than you do. :)

Again, I could say the same about Cadillac. Beautiful cars, but NOT cheap to run once the warranty is over. I near enough gagged when I priced out a set of Magnaride struts/shocks for a 2003 STS. I have an independent mechanic I deal with who is actually pretty darned good, and he finally threw in the towel after the "great deal" STS he fell in love with started overwhelming him with repairs.

Luxury cars are wonderful things, but none of them are cheap to fix when they break.

orconn
04-27-10, 05:14 PM
They went on sale as 1998's and by MY 2000 the change was made. Compared to a N*, for instance, which after a decade and a half may still not be totally right, I would say Jag did a much better job.

Don't expect any manufacturer to replace a worn out transmission after the warranty is done.

Again, I could say the same about Cadillac. Beautiful cars, but NOT cheap to run once the warranty is over. I near enough gagged when I priced out a set of Magnaride struts/shocks for a 2003 STS. I have an independent mechanic I deal with who is actually pretty darned good, and he finally threw in the towel after the "great deal" STS he fell in love with started overwhelming him with repairs.

Luxury cars are wonderful things, but none of them are cheap to fix when they break.

Yup! Yup! Yup!

Bro-Ham
04-27-10, 07:02 PM
They went on sale as 1998's and by MY 2000 the change was made.

The Jaguar V8 came out for 1997 in the XK8 Coupe and Covertible models, then 1998 in XJ8 Sedans. So 1997, 1998, 1999 - that's 3 years before the improvements you say happened in 2000.

I got my 99 Jag VDP in 2004 with 53k miles under Select Edition, or some such fancy named Jaguar pre-owned extended warranty program. It was quite shocking to lose the engine immediately, luckily covered by warranty - then unbelievable to lose the tranny a couple years later for an American Express blazing $5,500. That was a ton to spend considering I sold the car for $10k shortly after the repairs were completed, in 2007. Imagine what a quandary a 99 Jag owner would be in today with a bad engine...or a tranny, when these cars are worth so little - buy 2 of them. :)

That's pretty true. Try a 77-79 Cad with a 425 - they seldom break and are dirt cheap to fix. I am probably certifiably insane for all the money I've spent in my life paying humorously obscene repair bills on some of the cars I've been fortunate enough to have owned. At this point in my life my old 79 Cad is a divine pleasure for its lack of drama. :)

Cocktail hour!!! :)

orconn
04-27-10, 07:52 PM
Back in the 1980's there was a saying that in order to enjoy your Jaguar you had to buy two ... one to drive while the other one was in the shop!

Destroyer
04-27-10, 10:20 PM
This thread makes me not want a Jaguar even though I think they make some damn sexy cars. I HATE unreliable cars. It's not just the money part, it's the damn inconvenience it causes........not luxury at all to me. Thus my dislike for N* Cadillacs. I'll pick up a Jag like this for $700 and drive it till it dies, lol. :thumbsup:

orconn
04-27-10, 11:09 PM
This thread makes me not want a Jaguar even though I think they make some damn sexy cars. I HATE unreliable cars. It's not just the money part, it's the damn inconvenience it causes........not luxury at all to me. Thus my dislike for N* Cadillacs. I'll pick up a Jag like this for $700 and drive it till it dies, lol. :thumbsup:

With any luck at all a $700 Jag should give you about 500 miles ... that's if your luck continues to hold!

AlBundy
04-28-10, 01:36 AM
:yeah:

Rocket88
04-30-10, 12:07 PM
The Jaguar V8 came out for 1997 in the XK8 Coupe and Covertible models, then 1998 in XJ8 Sedans. So 1997, 1998, 1999 - that's 3 years before the improvements you say happened in 2000.

Ain't what *I* say happened. It is what happened. Jaguar had problems in the early years. They fixed them pretty darn quickly I would say, and that problem has no popped up again.

I got my 99 Jag VDP in 2004 with 53k miles under Select Edition, or some such fancy named Jaguar pre-owned extended warranty program. It was quite shocking to lose the engine immediately, luckily covered by warranty - then unbelievable to lose the tranny a couple years later for an American Express blazing $5,500. That was a ton to spend considering I sold the car for $10k shortly after the repairs were completed, in 2007. Imagine what a quandary a 99 Jag owner would be in today with a bad engine...or a tranny, when these cars are worth so little - buy 2 of them. :)

I find it funny to see comments like this on a Cadillac site. Sure, $5500 is a huge amount of money for a transmission. But, how much would a GM dealer charge to rebuild a 4T80. Gonna be scary expensive also. Their are independent transmission re-builders out there who would have done that job for about half of the $5500 you paid.
Since when is resale value the ultimate determiner of how much it is worth investing in a car you love.

That's pretty true. Try a 77-79 Cad with a 425 - they seldom break and are dirt cheap to fix. I am probably certifiably insane for all the money I've spent in my life paying humorously obscene repair bills on some of the cars I've been fortunate enough to have owned. At this point in my life my old 79 Cad is a divine pleasure for its lack of drama. :)

Cocktail hour!!! :)

You pays your money.....

stoveguyy
04-30-10, 01:25 PM
is the tranny really worn out at 100k miles or did something break like a cracked piston or bad internal solenoid that requires a teardown to fix? is the design so shaky that numerous parts are actually worn so it requires many expensive parts to fix? i just wonder when the service manager gives you the estimate to fix the trans and he says it is "shot". what does that mean?

orconn
05-27-10, 01:11 PM
How are you doing with your new Jag?

97DevilleBeige
03-23-11, 10:33 AM
Sorry Orconn for not responding... I haven't been on this site for a while. I still have the XK8 and I kept the DeVille for winter driving. The XK8 does have some problems, and while really annoying, all of my bad feelings go away when I walk out of the house and see the car again.
So far, here's whats gone wrong:
Engine has been intermittently overheating... the strangest thing that mechanics haven't been able to diagnose. What's odd is that it pops up in temp more often when I use HVAC... even if I use the heat! It loses some coolant. Some say it's a head gasket, while others don't feel so, because I can drive for 250 miles straight without it overheating, but sometimes will overheat within 5 minutes of cold start. I have replaced a cooling fan relay, upper radiator hose, thermostat, coolant cap, and water pump. Roundabout $800 spent on this stuff.

There's a lot of talk about the hydraulic convertible top failing, and turning into a $4000 repair, so I purchased a pressure regulator some fellow jaguar enthusiasts developed. The thought behind it is that the high number of failures are based on excessive pressure the system creates to operate, and higher outside temps. That was like $500 installed. I had a latch failure, but thank God the lines didn't blow (I don't know if the regulator saved it or not) and that was another $600 to fix. I brought the car to the dealer for this situation, their diagnosis was that the hydraulic lines had "jelled" up inside and needed to be flushed.

Car needs a ball joint, but you can't just put in a simple ball joint, you need to either buy a whole control arm, or buy a ball joint from a non jaguar affiliated parts company, and have a machine shop press them together. I bought a junkyard part and will have it installed soon hopefully.

When driving on the highway, from speeds around 50-70 mph, a grinding noise comes from the back of the car that goes away when I take my foot off the accelerator. Jaguar guru says it's nothing to be worried about, just some noise from the rear differential.

I had the factory radio/tape player changed out, and was much more complicated than I intended, because no company makes aftermarket kits and plugs for this car and I had to have it custom made. Aftermarket JVC CD player with MP3 USP wired into glove box and built in bluetooth are finally in.

And that's all I can think of for now! Other then that... car is great!

Stingroo
03-23-11, 10:42 AM
That sounds like a nightmare. :lol:

OffThaHorseCEO
03-23-11, 10:52 AM
That sounds like a nightmare. :lol:

it sure does but it doesnt sound like hes complaining. He must have "the sickness"

97DevilleBeige
03-23-11, 11:00 AM
Yes, my DeVille was good "training" on learning how to cope with being in an abusive relationship with a vehicle. I feel like a battered wife who's in denial of her abusive husband. "It was my fault... I shouldn't have provoked him."

OffThaHorseCEO
03-23-11, 11:21 AM
Yes, my DeVille was good "training" on learning how to cope with being in an abusive relationship with a vehicle. I feel like a battered wife who's in denial of her abusive husband. "It was my fault... I shouldn't have provoked him."

bwahaha. no seriously thats wrong.
but i know EXACTLY what you mean relating to cars

Stingroo
03-23-11, 12:01 PM
He sounds like a younger Bro-Ham.

Do you have a cocktail addiction too? :thumbsup:

johnny kannapo
03-23-11, 03:40 PM
It's got the look..These later models with the Modular Ford V8 power will help make repairs more mainstream.

Traditional earlier Jaguars are genuine Pigs.

I wonder if it shares any of the under-pinnings with a late model T-bird?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-23-11, 04:42 PM
I thought the S-Type shares some underpinnings with the Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird.

Playdrv4me
03-23-11, 05:57 PM
I thought the S-Type shares some underpinnings with the Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird.

Correct, the XK of that generation was still based on the previous generation and ha nothing to do with DEW98.

Funny, that overheating pattern sounds mighty N* like!

97DevilleBeige
03-23-11, 08:32 PM
He sounds like a younger Bro-Ham.

Do you have a cocktail addiction too? :thumbsup:

Never had a sip of alcohol in my life.

Destroyer
03-23-11, 09:31 PM
Since you bought this car, I bought an '03 XJ8. Between the wife and I we have racked up almost 14k miles on it. The strange thing is that we have not sunk a dime into it as far as repairs and the car is now over 100k miles! Maybe I'm just lucky with these foreign cars. It is an awesome car though and I am hooked on Jaguars. If an expensive repair rolls along I'll be more than happy to do it.

97DevilleBeige
03-23-11, 10:04 PM
Oh sweet. Glad to hear it's not every Jag that needs it's own trust fund. There's a bunch of little stuff I need to do to the car, but am holding off until I can figure out this overheating issue. Once I get it done, then I won't mind dropping bucks on the other stuff, like the ball joint. I actually dropped it off to an independent Jag specialist today to tinker with.

Funny story I just thought of:
Once on a Sunday I was heading in to work (retail). I get in the XK8 and start riding and within a couple minutes I see it starts to overheat... I turn around and go back home. Luckily, I've got a DeVille sitting around to get me to work. I fly in the house, grab my keys, jump in the car and throw it in reverse and FLOP FLOP FLOP I've got a flat tire. I think "Man this sucks" but luckily I had just purchased a tire inflator and could use it to get air in and get on the road. The damn tire won't take in air... must be a big leak somewhere??? I pop the trunk open and pull out the spare to change it. Finally get the damn thing on and throw the car in reverse... the spare is riding really funny... I check the air and it's good. 5 blocks down and POP explodes the spare. Luckily I'm not too far from a Sears Automotive and roll in on a popped tire to get my flat fixed. After THREE HOURS of waiting, they say the tire can't be salvaged, I need a new one. I remember I have a perfectly good tire sitting at home from when I changed out all 4 tires a while back. I have to walk the 1/2 mile home, take the tire, and walk it back to the store. Another hour later I finally get on the road and get to work. Best part: My boss was upset for telling him such a B.S. story and said I might as well have asked for the afternoon off, he'd have let me have it.

greencadillacmatt
03-24-11, 12:02 AM
^I'd have brought in the receipt from the tire shop...

Jesda
03-24-11, 02:11 AM
If an expensive repair rolls along I'll be more than happy to do it.

No you wont. You'll join jag-lovers.org and whine like a broken record. Hopefully they're as patient as your friends are here.

Stingroo
03-24-11, 08:05 AM
No you wont. You'll join jag-lovers.org and whine like a broken record. Hopefully they're as patient as your friends are here.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/funny-pictures-black-l-cat-lol.jpg

Destroyer
03-24-11, 08:19 AM

Yes I will. :)

Destroyer
03-24-11, 08:23 AM
Oh sweet. Glad to hear it's not every Jag that needs it's own trust fund. There's a bunch of little stuff I need to do to the car, but am holding off until I can figure out this overheating issue. Once I get it done, then I won't mind dropping bucks on the other stuff, like the ball joint. I actually dropped it off to an independent Jag specialist today to tinker with.

Actually mine does need a few things to be addressed. It needed an o2 sensor since the day I got it ($1100 at the dealer for 1 sensor changed) and it has an internal valve cover gasket leak according to the dealership. Neither problem is an issue as far as driving the car goes so l haven't bothered.

orconn
03-24-11, 12:19 PM
Ah, so now begins the downward spiral of Destroyer's Jaguar ownership! Jesda's on the money the Destroyer "whine" is on the way to a new home. He should find plenty of company over there, whining about the cost of ownership has been a constant among second hand Jaguar owners since the first cars were sold in the U.S.!

Playdrv4me
03-24-11, 06:10 PM
Ah, so now begins the downward spiral of Destroyer's Jaguar ownership! Jesda's on the money the Destroyer "whine" is on the way to a new home. He should find plenty of company over there, whining about the cost of ownership has been a constant among second hand Jaguar owners since the first cars were sold in the U.S.!

Lol.

Destroyer
03-24-11, 08:47 PM
I fully expect things to break but we are talking normal wear and tear. I can't get mad at a car for parts failing, especially at 100k miles. What I don't expect is my heads getting a divorce from my block. :nono: If the car needs a $3k repair tomorrow I'll do it and not complain about it as I feel the car is worth the repair in terms of how the car feels,drives and looks. I didn't feel that way in the Deville but I'm over it. :bouncy:

orconn
03-24-11, 09:26 PM
^^^ What can I say Destroyer has found auto romance!

Stingroo
03-24-11, 09:37 PM
Is he in an automotive bad romance?

RA RA AH AH AH...

Destroyer
03-24-11, 10:28 PM
Is he in an automotive bad romance?

RA RA AH AH AH...

Some of my best romances have been bad ones. If this is the case it'll be fine. I actually like that song, my daughter listens to it all the time. It's annoyingly catchy!

ted tcb
03-24-11, 10:29 PM
Here's a rare personal picture of Destroyer, loving his Jaguar.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/DSC00274EddyJaguarcub_Realmenlovetheircats.jpg

An even rarer picture of Destroyer detailing his old Deville.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/oldflomcaddyfire20.jpg

Destroyer
03-24-11, 10:43 PM

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/DSC00274EddyJaguarcub_Realmenlovetheircats.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/oldflomcaddyfire20.jpgNICE! :sneaky:

gdwriter
03-24-11, 10:47 PM
an even rarer picture of destroyer detailing his old deville.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/oldflomcaddyfire20.jpgpotd!

Jesda
03-24-11, 10:52 PM

[IG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/DSC00274EddyJaguarcub_Realmenlovetheircats.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/oldflomcaddyfire20.jpg[/IMG]

:histeric:

Playdrv4me
03-24-11, 11:29 PM
Awesome.

Stingroo
03-25-11, 12:42 PM
I rofl'd hard at the DeVille detailing photo.

concorso
03-25-11, 08:51 PM
Guys, how reliable would an S-Type R be in general? Ive always loved those, and as theyre getting really cheap, I think I could finally afford to live with a stereotypical Jag... I want it to be somewhat reliable as Id want to drive it as a daily.

orconn
03-25-11, 11:29 PM
Go over and live on the Jag forum for awhile. If you are still interested take the plunge!

Jesda
03-26-11, 12:08 AM
Kind of wondering the same, since I like both the S-type and Lincoln LS, despite their issues.

With the 3.9 LS, there's coil packs that like to go bad.

Stingroo
03-27-11, 10:21 PM
Forums are a bad gauge of car's reliability, no matter what it is. People go on forums WHEN things break, not because they MIGHT. So you'll read a lot of biased posts from people who had cars that broke. You could read 10 posts saying the S-type R are horrible expensive cars to maintain and swear them off for life, but that's 10 cars out of a whole production run. How many people AREN'T having those problems?

Find an unbiased review site (lol I know, harder than finding a positive spin on a forum), or just someone who actually owns one.

Playdrv4me
03-27-11, 10:58 PM
Forums are a bad gauge of car's reliability, no matter what it is. People go on forums WHEN things break, not because they MIGHT. So you'll read a lot of biased posts from people who had cars that broke. You could read 10 posts saying the S-type R are horrible expensive cars to maintain and swear them off for life, but that's 10 cars out of a whole production run. How many people AREN'T having those problems?

Find an unbiased review site (lol I know, harder than finding a positive spin on a forum), or just someone who actually owns one.

Hmm... Yes and no. Imagine all the people that have been saved a potential headache by the advice given by Ranger or Submariner, AND our tech section BEFORE they went out and blindly bought a N* Cadillac.

For something like a Jaguar or a Range Rover or any kind of specialty car, the forum goers tend to be real enthusiasts, not just the complainers. You can save thousands of dollars by going their first to seek recommendations on best years, what years to avoid, what features to avoid etc.

By contrast, review sites tend to extoll all the positive virtues of a vehicle, but unless they do a solid 1 year long term test, can't really speak to ownership costs or how the car will handle over the years. One good source of information too is the Edmunds OWNER reviews section for each vehicle. I find they tend to be well balanced, and if a car is REALLY a good car, people WILL go there to gloat about it. And yes, if a car has problems, they will definitely post those too.

As for the S Type R, I haven't heard any terrible things about them. Jesda's right, I mean it's basically just a fancy LS V8 with a supercharger, but it is worth getting a good background from a group of enthusiasts.

Jesda
03-27-11, 11:43 PM
Motorweek LOVES EVERYTHING

"Hi I'm John Davis. This is Motorweek. Today we're taking a look at the stunning new Hyundai Excel."

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-28-11, 12:10 AM
"This new, award winning, stunning Daewoo Lanos is sure to win over many Honda owners with it's sexy styling, european inspired performance and sterling reliability reputation."

orconn
03-28-11, 12:17 AM
Motorweek's John Davis "dorkissimas" of the automotive journalistic (?) world!

Playdrv4me
03-28-11, 12:20 AM
"This new, award winning, stunning Daewoo Lanos is sure to win over many Honda owners with it's sexy styling, european inspired performance and sterling reliability reputation."

Hahahaha.

97DevilleBeige
03-28-11, 08:48 PM
UPDATE:
Head gasket. Oh God... why me? Sigh. It's not that bad. I needed to have the primary and secondary chain tensioners changed out eventually (within a year or two) and that would have set me back like $2k. This is $3,500 including a lot of bundling of other little odds and ends I've been putting off. So for $3500 he's doing head gasket change including all tensioners, spark plugs, any replaceable part inside while he's in there will be swapped. He will also swap out the ball joint/control arm I supply him, change sway bar bushings. Replace clips on my wood grain dashboard that broke and cause it to be loose. Replace door panel clips which makes the door feel loose when I close it.

I'm not as irritated as I should be because I knew I was changing those tensioners sooner or later.

Playdrv4me
03-28-11, 11:32 PM
UPDATE:
Head gasket. Oh God... why me? Sigh. It's not that bad. I needed to have the primary and secondary chain tensioners changed out eventually (within a year or two) and that would have set me back like $2k. This is $3,500 including a lot of bundling of other little odds and ends I've been putting off. So for $3500 he's doing head gasket change including all tensioners, spark plugs, any replaceable part inside while he's in there will be swapped. He will also swap out the ball joint/control arm I supply him, change sway bar bushings. Replace clips on my wood grain dashboard that broke and cause it to be loose. Replace door panel clips which makes the door feel loose when I close it.

I'm not as irritated as I should be because I knew I was changing those tensioners sooner or later.

Damn, when I said it sounded an awful lot like the N* overheating pattern I was hoping I'd be wrong!

At least you get a shit ton of work done for the same price it costs to do JUST the HG job on the N*

Destroyer
03-29-11, 08:46 PM
Damn, when I said it sounded an awful lot like the N* overheating pattern I was hoping I'd be wrong!

At least you get a shit ton of work done for the same price it costs to do JUST the HG job on the N*Still, the repair is more than the worth of the car.................

Destroyer
03-29-11, 08:58 PM
Hmm... Yes and no. Imagine all the people that have been saved a potential headache by the advice given by Ranger or Submariner, AND our tech section BEFORE they went out and blindly bought a N* Cadillac.

Hmmm, it depends. If someone like Ranger, Sub and the gang bought their cars new and THEN sold them with no troubles to ME for example and I had the issues............they walk away satisfied (aside from resale value) and I get stuck with the POS. Both Ranger and Sub are here because they think the N* is a great motor (both are wrong). This is what happened to me. My buddy needed money bad and sold me the Deville. He was happy with the car that provided his family many miles of good service. After I got it, it was ready for a break down. He got lucky and I didn't. This is what you get for trying to help a friend out..................:helpless: I would NOT have considered the car a POS had I not discovered this was a major problem with these motors. If my case was rare I would just say it was an unlucky situation. I consider these cars crap because of what I have found out since. Both Ranger and Sub are great IMO and provide everyone with outstanding advice but when they recommend a N*........................I don't agree. :helpless:

Playdrv4me
03-29-11, 11:08 PM
http://clouddragon.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/whining-baby.jpg?w=292&h=195

concorso
03-30-11, 03:53 PM

For something like a Jaguar or a Range Rover or any kind of specialty car, the forum goers tend to be real enthusiasts, not just the complainers. You can save thousands of dollars by going their first to seek recommendations on best years, what years to avoid, what features to avoid etc.

By contrast, review sites tend to extoll all the positive virtues of a vehicle, but unless they do a solid 1 year long term test, can't really speak to ownership costs or how the car will handle over the years. One good source of information too is the Edmunds OWNER reviews section for each vehicle. I find they tend to be well balanced, and if a car is REALLY a good car, people WILL go there to gloat about it. And yes, if a car has problems, they will definitely post those too.

As for the S Type R, I haven't heard any terrible things about them. Jesda's right, I mean it's basically just a fancy LS V8 with a supercharger, but it is worth getting a good background from a group of enthusiasts.In terms of reliability, I go to forums to find out what will break most often. Buying a known reliable car does not guarantee yours will be reliable. Buying an unreilable make doesnt mean that you'll spend most of the time on the side of the road. Used vehicles are always gambles. I agree with you when you say the forums are great sources of info on which years and options of that p[articular model are the best choices. Other than that, I take everything as opinion and anecdotal evidence.

Lord Cadillac
03-30-11, 04:20 PM
Okay, I fully expect at least ONE person here to sign up at my awesome new site (http://jaguarforum.org). Do it.. For the good of Cadillac Owners dot com. :)

Destroyer
03-30-11, 10:25 PM
Okay, I fully expect at least ONE person here to sign up at my awesome new site (http://jaguarforum.org). Do it.. For the good of Cadillac Owners dot com. :)
It is done :thumbsup:

Aron9000
03-31-11, 12:40 AM

hehehehehehe, ****ing Scrooge McDuck signed up on your new site, sorry, that is some funny shit:rofl::rofl::rofl:

JackOcean
04-16-11, 08:52 AM
congrats, nice looking car. I still love the old XJ as well.

2005CTS-V
04-20-11, 08:34 AM
Beautiful car! I love that body style, I was looking for one when I bought the CTS last year,I got a really good deal on the Caddy and snatched it up.

Destroyer
04-20-11, 10:24 PM
hehehehehehe, ****ing Scrooge McDuck signed up on your new site, sorry, that is some funny shit:rofl::rofl::rofl:You know, aside from the N* thing I'm pretty nice unless Thunderpuke is involved. :thumbsup:

ted tcb
04-20-11, 10:54 PM
You know, aside from the N* thing I'm pretty nice unless Thunderpuke is involved. :thumbsup:

Destroyer, how about a detailed update on your ownership-to-date with the XK8?
I have a vested interest, as I would love an old style cheap Jag down the road as a weekend toy.