: Motor mounts install with kooks and maggie

CTSV_510
04-22-10, 09:20 PM
Ok, so the driver side header has to come off, right? What about the passenger side? Is it just the starter on that side that had to come out to get the motor mount in?

And the main question...does the maggie have to come off? I don't think there is room above the rear pullies to jack up the motor with the maggie on. Who has gone through this that can give me some info?

Den_93
04-22-10, 11:14 PM
I think Randy might of tried, not sure on the result. I know he had an issue with the maggie coming close to hitting the firewall. I know you have to pull both sides of the headers off. I didn't take the starter off. Also, if you remove the steering shaft, don't spin you steering wheel or it will f-up the clock spring and nothing will work on your steering wheel.

heavymetals
04-23-10, 12:53 AM
I didn't have to remove the maggie, but the headers came off both sides.

CTSV_510
04-23-10, 08:15 AM
Thanks guys. My headers have been on for 2 years now. I used new GM gaskets when they went on. Should I plan on getting a new set for reinstalling the headers?

Alan F
04-23-10, 08:26 AM
Thanks guys. My headers have been on for 2 years now. I used new GM gaskets when they went on. Should I plan on getting a new set for reinstalling the headers?

wire brush them, use spray copper gasket maker, let it get tacky, reinstall, shouldn't need new ones.

Guys above are right...i take off coil packs, plugs, wires, steering shaft (i was one that f'd up by letting the steering wheel spin...its a $500 mistake so mark the shaft where it meets, turn the wheel slightly to expose the lower bolt, then take the keys out and lock the wheel), both headers off.

The only safe shortcut is you can leave the passenger side lower mount assembly in the car, just unbolt the single bolt that holds the mount itself and remove the upper assembly.

have fun, wish i could help on the maggie and clearance as you have to jack it WAY up to get new mounts in.

rand49er
04-23-10, 10:16 AM
Can't help with regard to the maggie coming off. My MMs are still in my ever-growing mods-to-be-installed pile. :alchi:

bneal1022
04-23-10, 07:51 PM
Just did my mm last night. Engine does not need jacked way up, only about 1.5" to allow the pin in the lower mount to clear the frame. You must use a female T10 torx bit to remove the studs after you remove the 21mm flange nut. I'm stuck on the steering linkage for driver side header. Was told to just undo the middle bolts in the shaft, push shaft down toward boot, pivot out of way to allow header to pass. Hope that is right. I wrapped my mm to prevent any heat damage with reflective insluated tape.

rand49er
04-23-10, 10:11 PM
... I'm stuck on the steering linkage for driver side header. Was told to just undo the middle bolts in the shaft, push shaft down toward boot, pivot out of way to allow header to pass. Hope that is right. ...I can confirm that. Yup. That's correct.

Oh ... silly me. I was the one who told you that. :rolleyes:

bneal1022
04-23-10, 10:32 PM
Rand, just to really be sure... I have to remove the 2 13mm bolts that are on the shaft that couples the 2 shafts just outside the firewall? Not the bolt below the boot on the rack. Correct? Does the lower portion of the shaft (lower shaft) compress into the boot?

Alan F
04-24-10, 05:43 AM
Rand, just to really be sure... I have to remove the 2 13mm bolts that are on the shaft that couples the 2 shafts just outside the firewall? Not the bolt below the boot on the rack. Correct? Does the lower portion of the shaft (lower shaft) compress into the boot?

no...remove the middle 13mm and the lower 15mm at the bottom. The top most bolt...leave that one alone. the upper will retract into the firewall allowing enough room to lift it off the steering rack.

maxspeed96ct
04-24-10, 09:34 AM
I had to remove both of my long tubes(kooks) for the install .

It doesnt look possible with the header on the car.

rand49er
04-24-10, 10:49 AM

no...remove the middle 13mm and the lower 15mm at the bottom. The top most bolt...leave that one alone. the upper will retract into the firewall allowing enough room to lift it off the steering rack.It's been a while (4+ years). I recall removing one bolt, swinging the steering shaft out of the way, and that allowed the Kooks header to go in. I'm assuming that's all you have to do to remove the driver-side header. If you have to do more to deal with the MMs, I have no experience to draw upon with regard to that aspect. Alan may well be correct ... I dunno.

bneal1022
04-24-10, 11:08 AM
ahhhh incorrect. I just did it by removing ONLY the lower 13mm bolt in the shaft coupler. That allwed me to EASILY push the upper shaft into the firewall. PLEANTY of room now. Boy oh boy did I wrap my alternator cable. I unbolted it from the alternator, pulled it back, wrapped it in reflective insulated tape. Then I pulled it through an inswool sock, collared it with more reflective tape and trimmed it with one more strip os tape where closest to the headers. NOTHING should go wrong with melting and or arcing close to the driver side header. This is not bad ay all and I'm a simpleton - self proclaimed of course.

Alan F
04-26-10, 08:30 AM
ahhhh incorrect. I just did it by removing ONLY the lower 13mm bolt in the shaft coupler. That allwed me to EASILY push the upper shaft into the firewall. PLEANTY of room now. Boy oh boy did I wrap my alternator cable. I unbolted it from the alternator, pulled it back, wrapped it in reflective insulated tape. Then I pulled it through an inswool sock, collared it with more reflective tape and trimmed it with one more strip os tape where closest to the headers. NOTHING should go wrong with melting and or arcing close to the driver side header. This is not bad ay all and I'm a simpleton - self proclaimed of course.

eh, just do it his way if you want to swing it, do it my way if you want it off and out of the way. Neither wrong or incorrect, just preference. Mine is out of the way and laying on the ground.

SlvrVee
04-26-10, 09:59 AM
I had my mounts in and out a couple of times. The method that i used which was very easy (if you have a lift) was to
(1) support the motor,
(2) loosen (not remove) the front two subframe bolts and
(3)then remove the two rear subframe bolts and lower the subframe, which is where the mounts are bolted to. Using this method the engine+ maggie remains in place and does not move, plus you have easy access to the mounts.