: I got my car back from the shop

Castro
04-22-10, 05:41 PM
I just picked up the V from the shop after it got a new front bumper, cs motor mounts and diff bushing, UUC shifter, but unfortunately not the CS trans mount or UUC shift knob...

Apparently, according to the caddy dealer doing the work, I was sent the wrong trans mount and the wrong shift knob. They installed a new oem mount and the old shift knob I had instead. I'm a little upset by that, they said the trans mount was for an auto? I have no idea if this is correct but I'll take a picture of it and the shift knob. The knob looks nothing like what was on Lindsay's website, they said the boot doesn't line up, etc. I really don't know. Once I get some pics please chime in with your opinions here.

On the plus side though my initial reaction on the motor mounts, diff bushing, and shifter are good. It feels much more solid all around, reverse clunk is virtually gone I think, start up is smoother, shut down is smoother, shifts are crisper. I only drove it a couple miles back to the office so I haven't gotten too much feel for it but so far it's good. The old motor mounts they put in the box were torn and the diff bushing wasn't pretty either so I think it was long over due. Pics and more review to follow, axle should get here next week so I'll review that as well.

cvettr/cts-v
04-22-10, 06:40 PM
Post pics of the shifter, no way to tell with out them. I too wondered how the boot would work with the uuc knob but it does and the boot stays up. possibly you have the right one and if so changing knobs is easy.

CTSV_510
04-22-10, 09:53 PM
Which cs motor mounts did you get?

verywhitedevil
04-23-10, 12:47 AM
CS is only making the mount for the manual V transmission. doubt Max sent you the wrong one. post the pics

ELES6CTS
04-23-10, 07:19 AM
CS is only making the mount for the manual V transmission. doubt Max sent you the wrong one. post the pics

What he said. Sounds fishy.

Castro
04-23-10, 10:26 AM
Okay attached are the pics, the shifter boot is significantly smaller than the one in the car, it doesn't line up when I compared them, smaller by maybe 3/4"? What gives, is this normal?

Castro
04-23-10, 10:36 AM
Here is what I thought I was getting as pictured on the Lindsay website. I'm just confused, please let me know.

I got the grey motor mounts which seem to be a great upgrade. The car has a totally different feel. I bought it knowing the mounts and diff bushing were bad and talked them down significantly on price. There isn't the startup shake, shutdown is severely improved so it must just be the flywheel inertia. I have a new clutch and taking off in 1st had been... not smooth. It seems to be a lot easier now, certainly it's starting to break in more but it is noticably better and smoother after the work was done. There is still a bit of vibration going into reverse but severely reduced, no big clunk anymore, and I haven't detected any clunking when releasing the clutch while driving. Overall I'm very happy with the results, no noticeable increased vibes with the grey mounts and oem trans mount.

your maker
04-23-10, 11:08 AM
the tranny mount is the right one and the shift knob looks like the V2 one but i can not tell from the side picture. if it is then that should work also

tweeter81
04-23-10, 11:21 AM
Okay attached are the pics, the shifter boot is significantly smaller than the one in the car, it doesn't line up when I compared them, smaller by maybe 3/4"? What gives, is this normal?

First off, I am assuming you ordered this stuff directly from Lindsay Cadillac, who sells a ton of the V2 shifter knob/boot assemblies to us V1 guys, heck, I just bought and installed one a couple of weeks ago.

I am guessing that maybe Luke just got the order mixed up because he had been selling so many of the V2 knobs and not so many of the UUC shifter knob that you actually wanted.

Two things:

1) The V2 shifter knob that you got is cheaper than the UUC, so you might bring that up to Luke at Lindsay for a partial credit card refund.

2) I would just use the V2 knob, I think it looks better than the UUC knob anyway. All you have to do is stretch the leather around the plastic clip at the bottom of the knob and remove the knob from the shifter boot and then install the knob on your existing shifter boot by doing those steps in reverse. Like I said, I did it a few weeks ago and it took like 15 minutes.

Castro
04-23-10, 11:36 AM
Yeah it was cheaper than advertised so he must have assumed I wanted the V2. Do I need to remove the existing boot to get the stock knob off? I'll try it at lunch.

Anyone need a CS soft trans mount????

tweeter81
04-23-10, 02:08 PM
Yeah it was cheaper than advertised so he must have assumed I wanted the V2. Do I need to remove the existing boot to get the stock knob off? I'll try it at lunch.

Anyone need a CS soft trans mount????

I might need one. How much? That is the correct mount based on other pix I've seen, did you decide that you aren't going to go back to the shop and tell them that they are wrong and it indeed should fit?

As for removing the existing shifter knob/boot assembly, you just have to put the car in 4th gear, get into the passenger seat, brace yourself with your left knee on the seat, and yank that knob off. The whole boot and square trim piece will come off with it. Then you have to turn the whole thing inside out and heat up the leather around the base of the knob and pull it away from the plastic piece, it takes a little work. There are also a thread or two with pix and detailed steps on how to do this, but once you have the shifter knob/boot in your hands you will be able to see what you need to do really easily.

cvettr/cts-v
04-23-10, 02:15 PM
You have to loosen the trim ring from console (before trying to remove the handle from shifter) or you risk breaking the retaining tabs when the stock handle pops off the shifter. Then install the new shifter handle to the existing v1 boot and re-install to shifter in car and clip trim ring back in you will then have left over, the original handle , v2 boot, and v2 trim ring. Don't know if the v2 knobs weighs more than the v1 knob but if not that is one benefit to the uuc, is it does weigh a considerable amount. I have the uuc leather wrapped in your picture and yes it costs more but I am very satisfied. The v2 handle is a big improvement over the v1 in looks thogh and cheaper so it is up to you to decide as they will both function. Side note if your v sits in the hot sun alot the v2 handle will be much cooler to the touch then all the metal on the uuc. That is the only draw back other than higher cost to the uuc. But nothing a small rag won't cure if you have to leave in the sun cover the handle up till you go to drive.

Castro
04-23-10, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys, from what I've researched here I was assuming it was the dealer's confusion, both vendors have excellent reviews and were very easy to work with. I didn't get a chance to try the swap but I'll give it a shot this weekend.

The dealer ordered and installed a new OEM trans mount and that's working just fine, I had no real reason to suspect it was an issue in the first place, just one of those "might as well" decisions since I was doing the rest of the work. Get this- install for the shifter was $65, install for the press fit cs bushing- $65! I think I got a good deal.

I'll have to check what I paid for the cs mount, I think it was pretty cheap. I'll give you a friendly discount if you want it, this sucker is brand new and ready to move!

tweeter81
04-25-10, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the info guys, from what I've researched here I was assuming it was the dealer's confusion, both vendors have excellent reviews and were very easy to work with. I didn't get a chance to try the swap but I'll give it a shot this weekend.

The dealer ordered and installed a new OEM trans mount and that's working just fine, I had no real reason to suspect it was an issue in the first place, just one of those "might as well" decisions since I was doing the rest of the work. Get this- install for the shifter was $65, install for the press fit cs bushing- $65! I think I got a good deal.

I'll have to check what I paid for the cs mount, I think it was pretty cheap. I'll give you a friendly discount if you want it, this sucker is brand new and ready to move!

Cool, man. Let me know.

nickr28784
04-26-10, 12:09 AM
why did you get a new front bumper? were you under warranty?

Castro
04-26-10, 03:53 PM
I totally forgot about the mount price, I'll find it when I get home. I'm not sure where the bumper came from exactly, the dealer ordered it and I know it was reconditioned. It was around $500 painted I believe, and looks brand new. They did a great job except they left swirl marks all over the passenger side crease in the hood- obviously used a buffer with too much pressure but I was planning to get the whole thing polished anyway, it should come out. I think the shift knob was around $130?? I'll check.

nickr28784
04-26-10, 03:59 PM
i was wondering why you got a new front bumper to begin with?

As to some of the others on the forum, I've noticed the typical warping underneath my headlights, and I was just curious as to if this is why you got a new front bumper...

as of yet, I still cant convince my dealer the warping is actually more common than they seem to think

bigdogg
04-28-10, 09:51 AM
Castro,
I think you are in PA...if so, what dealer did you get to install the shifter and mounts. Seems like you got a good price for labor...Cadillac dealer, right?

Castro
04-28-10, 10:48 AM
Castro,
I think you are in PA...if so, what dealer did you get to install the shifter and mounts. Seems like you got a good price for labor...Cadillac dealer, right?

Yeah it was Shirn's Cadillac in Williamsport, very cheap rates. They seem to have done a good job. The more V's coming in there the better.

I had the bumper replaced for two reasons- when I bought it the warping under the passenger light was terrible, like an inch of wave, and the previous owner curbed it significanly so the lip was chewed up pretty bad. Also... I may have inadvertantly rammed into a washing machine in my garage shortly after bringing it home. Long story there, but basically I was in a huge hurry, distracted, and thought I'd taken it out of gear when I hadn't. Respect the torque. :thepan:

Okay I checked the price on the trans mount and it wasn't as cheap as I thought- $130, same as an OEM basically. But I'll sell it for $100 if you're interested. Brand new ready to go.