: Cheap Gas Prices

PhantomCadillac
08-24-04, 12:50 PM
http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgas_index.asp

This is a link to a web site where you can find the cheapest gas prices in your area.

Elvis
08-24-04, 03:13 PM
I guess it's kind of a "do-it-yourself" thing. They had most of the stations in my area but no prices yet.

T_Dogg8
08-24-04, 04:19 PM
yeah.....it's only as good as the people who send them the info.

Msilva954
08-24-04, 09:46 PM
Id love to see GPS's in cars give continuously updated pricing at gasstations on the screen

RBraczyk
08-24-04, 09:51 PM
Does it really help if you have to drive ten miles to save 2 dollars?

davesdeville
08-24-04, 10:12 PM
As long as you get 20mpg or so and consider your time valueless, yes.

gothicaleigh
08-24-04, 11:10 PM
Wht are you actually going to save? Maybe 25 cents a tank? Honestly, I never really check.

As for the assumption that gas is expensive, here is an article in the latest (August 2004) Road&Track:

The Price Of Gasoline, In Real Dollars

"Whenever gasoline prices rise- for whatever reason- there's a lot of posturing that follows. I was heartened though, to see The Orange County Register, our local newspaper, comment on the price of gasoline in real economic terms.

Citing data from the California Energy Commission, the article noted that when adjusted for inflation, people paid a lot more for gasoline in 1980 than during any current price spike. I extrapolated on their data and came up with the following: With inflation factored in, our price of gasoline (around $2.40/gallon) works out to an equivalent $2.04/gal. versus 1980's $2.43/gal.

Here's an analogous sound bite:
When we pay $2.50 /gal., it's about what our great-grandfathers paid for gasoline in 1920."

That kind of puts things in perspective...

illumina
08-24-04, 11:24 PM
hey, no price is too much for my baby! :drinker

Msilva954
08-25-04, 08:21 AM
U guys obviously live in a place where most stations are the same, down here one fuel grade has as much as a 15c difference compared to the station right next to it......shoot, costco is the cheapest gas station all around here......low 1.80's for Premium.....every where else its at least $2.20.......30cents a gallon is big when considering fuel.

T_Dogg8
08-25-04, 08:42 AM
when you consider i fill up a 30 gallon tank, a few cents does make a difference. it's not a lot, but over the course of a year, it's enough to do something like pay for a magazine subscription i wouldn't have had the money for. when you don't have any money, you find the cheapest gas station and enjoy.

RBraczyk
08-25-04, 02:07 PM
Your not the only one filling a thirty. Yea, msilva, most gas prices around here dont change. they're probably all around 1.70-1.95 for regular.

T_Dogg8
08-25-04, 02:54 PM
Your not the only one filling a thirty. Yea, msilva, most gas prices around here dont change. they're probably all around 1.70-1.95 for regular.
correct. my point was that 5 to 10 cents for me does make a noticable difference. if i was driving a geo metro with 50 mpg, then maybe it wouldn't. to me a couple bucks a month saved is a big deal, maybe to you it's not and that's fine.

RBraczyk
08-26-04, 02:21 AM
you gotta remember that i probably dont' drive nearly as far as you do, so saving pennies on the dollar is far more important for you, because at the end of the year you have an extra tank of gas.

90devilleguy
08-26-04, 03:48 AM
let me tell you all a little something about gas prices,no matter what, you never really amount to saving any money by going to a cheaper priced gas station then the next one around town. i've worked at my gas station job for about 4 years and we have a sunday price special 5 cents off all gas.so pretty much nobody on the forum here will run regular in the caddies so that leaves only super(premium) the regular price today is 2.13 on sunday it will be 2.08,if you came every sunday and filled your car with let's say 10 gallons,you save 50 cents x 4 sundays you save 2.00 total for the month,that is total crap becuase it doesn't really amount to saving anything,obviously this goes if the price stays the same but from my experience the price usually changes up 3 cents or down 2,so and at almost $50 a barrel for oil the price won't drop down that much more.i look at it this way if the same people come in on sundays and we are usually packed sometimes i've had 3-4 cars deep at each pump,and we have 6 pumps,the amount of gas that is pumped out that day is probably equal to a week normally.and the thing that i love is that people will always come in a get a paper or something and they say " this 5 cents off is great!" and i just say "how is it great you save at most 50-60 cents", big deal,buy a brownie with that money saved!it's all a big scam,the reason my boss has the 5 cent thing is so he makes his quota for the month and the company doesn't bug him wh he didn't.

T_Dogg8
08-26-04, 09:01 AM
since i have a 30 gallon tank i fill up at leastevery other week, that means i'd save 3 dollars a month. is that much?? nope. is it a lot for someone starting out in their life and trying to make the most of things?? yep. so since it's meaningless to you, why don't you send it to me everything month. i'd love to have an extra 3 dollars a month.