: 6 Speed Auto Owners, any regrets you didnt get manual?

M5DriverNY
04-22-10, 12:20 AM
I wish I could get a hold of one to drive with manual. I am sure its so much more fun and involved. I only want the auto because I have a Camaro and my current BMW is a clunky shifter itself. I drive 100 + miles per day in traffic.

Im kinda looking for a more relaxed feel now but I still want the hard performance. its a real toss up.

What made you guys choose?

DrumStix
04-22-10, 12:41 AM
I chose because I'm 6'5" and hated the shifter location which would screw with my driver position. It felt low and forward like a Mustang to me, not located in a better location as a C6 vette. Also hated the pedal feel.

Aside from that, autos are faster. :stirpot::hide:

pj911
04-22-10, 12:53 AM
Autos are faster???

That's strange, I seem to remember that autos are good for about 175 mph while the stick tops out between 191-193 mph. Maybe I'm confused, better buy the auto.

Tony407
04-22-10, 01:53 AM
It may be semantics, but the auto is "quicker" meaning they cross the 60 mph and 1/4 mile mark before their manual counterparts. But yes, the top speed in a manual is much faster. 174 vs. 190-something I believe?

Anyway, I chose the auto because I already have a manual supercharged Mustang which satisfies my need for rowing the gears myself, and also in respects to not having to shift all the time in traffic.

Sometimes I wish I had the manual transmission, but I strongly suspect I'd miss having an auto if I did...

Tony

IBNR
04-22-10, 02:37 AM
For daily-driver vehicles that take me to and from work in traffic, I'm done with manual transmissions. More fun, yes, but not in stop-and-go on a clogged Northern California freeway.

Gary Wells
04-22-10, 05:46 AM
This is / was the latest thread in the manual versus automatic continuing saga.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/197532-automatic-6-speed-manual.html

Interesting read, and I have no regrets in purchasing an auto over a 6 speed manual. HTH

mugatu22
04-22-10, 05:56 AM
Autos are faster???

That's strange, I seem to remember that autos are good for about 175 mph while the stick tops out between 191-193 mph. Maybe I'm confused, better buy the auto.

LOL, you ARE confused...top speed has nothing to do with being faster on the road or on a track. Autos have proven faster 0-60 and in the 1/4 b/c of the superior launch, shift times and elimination of driver error...as I'm sure you know.

I prefer manual transmissions, but for quickness & ease of driving, can't beat the auto.

Gary Wells
04-22-10, 06:28 AM
LOL, you ARE confused...top speed has nothing to do with being faster on the road or on a track. Autos have proven faster 0-60 and in the 1/4 b/c of the superior launch, shift times and elimination of driver error...as I'm sure you know.

I prefer manual transmissions, but for quickness & ease of driving, can't beat the auto.

Fast & quick are 2 different things. Manuals are faster, autos are quicker.

Somefun
04-22-10, 06:29 AM
I'm with these guy's. I drove the stick and the auto and went with the auto. I love driving a high HP stick but I gotta tell you the auto with a tune is real nice. Sure some times it shifts to soon or wrong in my eyes but for the ease of just sitting back and doing nothing when you want its GREAT!!!:thumbsup:

Razorecko
04-22-10, 08:12 AM
I drive 100+ miles a day in illinois/chicago with my stickshift and I wouldnt replace it for an auto. The shifting on the new V is really great and there is never an issue of strange shifting when you're in full control. I don't want to have to have a "tune" on my car just to have it shift the way it should.

odla
04-22-10, 08:35 AM
if you track it ( road course ) nothing like changing your own gears. if your daily driving it an auto would be nice for most i think. Either way i would get the Manuel.

Caroutisine
04-22-10, 09:03 AM
I probably wouldn't have purchased the V2 if it was only available as a manual.

Prof
04-22-10, 09:29 AM
Concur with the above.

My V2 is a daily driver...I have a fun six speed vehicle for the weekend profiling and Cruising around the Jr. High Schools...

Besides I am an old fart and I wanted performance, comfort and ease of operation...that was the V2 automatic hands down.

mik2718
04-22-10, 09:49 AM
I'm hand-foot-coordination challenged. Or, I just like the ease and effortless performance with the auto. OK, both are true. I wouldn't have a V2 without the auto. Even my '66 GTO has an auto (mildly reworked TH400, not the original slushbox). I was never any good with a 4-speed stick, not even back in the '60s and '70s, and I didn't want to try again now with a 6-speed manual.

dqw1
04-22-10, 10:05 AM
I have a manual to drive (04 V) but it gets a little tiring in stop and go traffic. There were alot of times when I only had that one to drive when I wished I had an auto. Now I have both to choose from. No regrets with auto trans.

4DOORZR1
04-22-10, 11:12 AM
I have a manual which I like..rowing through the gears gives a feeling of being a part of the machinery. Keeps me in shape for driving/tracking my Z06 too. If I had to drive stop and go traffic all day I'd get an auto, or move to less congested area.

Gotham CTS-V
04-22-10, 11:27 AM
I do sometimes wish for a manual...I bet if I had the manual I'd be wishing for an auto at times too. It is a relaxed Caddy daily driver so the auto is the better choice for my type of driving. Plus it is good for racing and launching.

And no way does the auto top out at 175. Maybe it's electronically limited or something but my car has seen 170+ and it definitely could have kept on going, probably about up to 200 (my car has power mods but i'm sure a stock CTS-V can go over 175)

Karch
04-22-10, 11:43 AM
I'm hand-foot-coordination challenged. Or, I just like the ease and effortless performance with the auto. OK, both are true. I wouldn't have a V2 without the auto. Even my '66 GTO has an auto (mildly reworked TH400, not the original slushbox). I was never any good with a 4-speed stick, not even back in the '60s and '70s, and I didn't want to try again now with a 6-speed manual.

Cool, another Goat owner (mine is a 65 w/ 455/TH400).

Regarding the performance, I really think you can't honestly say which one offers more, and why should you, they're pretty close.

Don't forget, the sub 8 second time on the Nurburgring was with an A6.

But, it really comes down to what the individual likes, and how long you plan to keep it.

cbloveday
04-22-10, 11:58 AM
No regrets. Personal preference.

DiamondWhtV
04-22-10, 12:34 PM
Couldn't get the manual....wife has to drive the car from time to time. Otherwise I might have considered going with it. Wonder if anyone else had to make this decision based on another driver wife...girlfriend...family member etc.

CTSV4now
04-22-10, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't want a manual V even if it was $10K less than the automatic. Auto's are even better after the TCM is tuned.

It sure is fun to do your own shifting, but for daily use and freeway congestion, the auto is just more practical for me.

v4meinsandiego
04-22-10, 12:58 PM
Wife doesn't drive stick so................I got the MANUAL. That solved that problem. This car is mine!:tisk:

Rowing gears is priceless with 600+ hp(I am modded) in a 4 door corvette if you aren't facing traffic issues day in and out. I don't have those traffic issues so its not even a question to me. I live in San Diego and even though there is some traffic from time to time on my way to work, the benefits of the stick outway the auto hands down to me. I did test the auto at the dealership before I bought the manual and from that time forward knew I had to have the stick.

B.T.W - I know from the published reports the auto is faster than the manual to 60 and in the 1/4 mile. But, I would surpised if those who tested the manual were doing the "No-lift-shift" this car allows you to do. This feature lets you mash the throttle (keeping it down) and only engaging the clutch when shifting. With time behind the wheel my clutch engagement is fast, very fast when I want it to be. By having the RPM's up the car shifts very quickly and I would bet pound for pound the manual is FASTER or QUICKER than the Auto to 60 or 1/4 mile when racing. Now that I know how to do it better than when I first go the car, I would almost guarantee I can shave a few tenths off these times.

FSTCADY
04-22-10, 01:32 PM
Funny, my fiance also doesn't drive a manual so......I got a manual :D

FSTCADY
04-22-10, 01:37 PM
I've said this before but the difference in a race between a CTS-V manual and an auto will have more to do with who is driving each vehicle than anything else. Put the same driver in each car and you'll surely find a few tenths of difference but in street driving reality with two different drivers the biggest difference will be the drivers. I'm an ok driver but not a pro so a great driver in an auto will smoke me most of the time but a weak/avg driver will eat my manual's dust at least some of the time!

Gotham CTS-V
04-22-10, 01:43 PM
Couldn't get the manual....wife has to drive the car from time to time. Otherwise I might have considered going with it. Wonder if anyone else had to make this decision based on another driver wife...girlfriend...family member etc.

My girl is the sh*ttiest stick driver on the planet (she admits to it) so yeah, that sort of steered me in the auto direction...

odla
04-22-10, 02:02 PM
my fiance only drives a stick. so i got me a blk v and she gets the silver one. lol

Vrocks
04-22-10, 03:00 PM
I got the auto because of convenience. I couldn't find a V2 with a manual locally and I definitely wasn't going to a order a manual without a test drive.

The auto is excellent and takes a lot of work out of driving fast. I had a manual in my '04 V1 and I enjoyed it (even though that box sucked), and I may have gone with a manual in the V2 if one had been available.

Having said that, I'm happy with the auto.

4DOORZR1
04-22-10, 03:08 PM

Actually, I had my wife drive my V before the deal to make sure she could handle the heavy clutch. She didn't have a problem with the manual so I bought it! I was surprised she is a slim 5'2" 50 something woman....she hasn't driven it since..but at least if I break a leg I know she can drive me home!
:suspense:

Tony407
04-22-10, 03:36 PM
And no way does the auto top out at 175. Maybe it's electronically limited or something but my car has seen 170+ and it definitely could have kept on going, probably about up to 200 (my car has power mods but i'm sure a stock CTS-V can go over 175)

It's electronically limited. I think I read about this a long time ago, something about the auto transmission can't handle the speed above a certain point so it was specifically limited.

Tony

Tony407
04-22-10, 03:44 PM
B.T.W - I know from the published reports the auto is faster than the manual to 60 and in the 1/4 mile. But, I would surpised if those who tested the manual were doing the "No-lift-shift" this car allows you to do. This feature lets you mash the throttle (keeping it down) and only engaging the clutch when shifting. With time behind the wheel my clutch engagement is fast, very fast when I want it to be. By having the RPM's up the car shifts very quickly and I would bet pound for pound the manual is FASTER or QUICKER than the Auto to 60 or 1/4 mile when racing. Now that I know how to do it better than when I first go the car, I would almost guarantee I can shave a few tenths off these times.

Personally, I could care less who is faster and who is quicker from a personal standpoint. It's not like I feel that my auto is somehow more or less superior than a manual. I've heard a lot of people talk about no-lift-shifts and how this would negate the auto's 0-60 and 1/4-mile advantages. However, I have not seen a single person offer proof of this claim, only theories. Sounds like a good undertaking to me, and I would love to read about it.

Tony

Vrocks
04-22-10, 10:21 PM
It's electronically limited. I think I read about this a long time ago, something about the auto transmission can't handle the speed above a certain point so it was specifically limited.

Tony

It's because of the driveshaft speed. The limiter can be removed.

mugatu22
04-22-10, 11:28 PM
Concur with the above.

My V2 is a daily driver...I have a fun six speed vehicle for the weekend profiling and Cruising around the Jr. High Schools...

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? :ill: Chester...

Tony407
04-23-10, 12:56 AM
It's because of the driveshaft speed. The limiter can be removed.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, because I honestly don't know, but wouldn't the driveshaft speed be pretty much the same for an auto vs. manual? Yet they allow the manual a considerably higher top speed? What gives?

Tony

tedcmiller
04-23-10, 01:00 AM
I bought a 2009 CTS-V to replace my 2005 CTS-V primarily because the 2009 offered the automatic transmission. I had a 2004 CTS-V before that and also had Chevrolet and Pontiac four-in-the-floor cars. Before that I had a Ford with a three-speed column shift. End result is many miles with both manual and automatic transmissions. I will go for the modern auto everytime. The auto in the CTS-V offers both auto and manual capabilites using either/both the console shifter or the paddle switches on the back of the steering wheel. What's not to like?

Mike 09 V
04-23-10, 01:18 AM
No regrets. I've had enough shifting in my life. Auto works great. FWIW-a lot of drag cars are autos-I wonder why? Auto is speed limited to 175 I understand. So you can drive it right up to that speed before the 'puter chops your power. If you intend to consistently drive over 175 then get the stick. Let me know if that is the case and where you can drive that fast and I'll come watch. Selling your car sometime in the future an auto will have a larger group of potential buyers IMO.
Mike

GMX322V S/C
04-23-10, 01:39 AM
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, because I honestly don't know, but wouldn't the driveshaft speed be pretty much the same for an auto vs. manual? Yet they allow the manual a considerably higher top speed? What gives?

TonyFor any given road speed, the auto's driveshaft speed should actually be lower than the manual's, since the auto's final drive is numerically lower (3.23 in the auto vs. 3.73 in the manual). The top speed in the auto is artificially limited because there is a clutch basket inside the tranny whose strength is limited and there wasn't enough room inside the case to make it stronger. One can only imagine what could happen if something like that frags at high speed...

Tony407
04-23-10, 03:22 AM
For any given road speed, the auto's driveshaft speed should actually be lower than the manual's, since the auto's final drive is numerically lower (3.23 in the auto vs. 3.73 in the manual). The top speed in the auto is artificially limited because there is a clutch basket inside the tranny whose strength is limited and there wasn't enough room inside the case to make it stronger. One can only imagine what could happen if something like that frags at high speed...

Ahhh...yes. This is what I remember reading. Thanks for the clarification.

Tony

Gary Wells
04-23-10, 06:45 AM
For any given road speed, the auto's driveshaft speed should actually be lower than the manual's, since the auto's final drive is numerically lower (3.23 in the auto vs. 3.73 in the manual). The top speed in the auto is artificially limited because there is a clutch basket inside the tranny whose strength is limited and there wasn't enough room inside the case to make it stronger. One can only imagine what could happen if something like that frags at high speed...
Mas:
You're nothing short of a walking, talking computer with live data banks. I also remembered reading that it was something to do with the tranny, but couldn't remember the specifics. Also thanks for the clarification. When are you going to have the Cad out where I can see it?

Gary Wells
04-23-10, 06:55 AM
Concur with the above.

Besides I am an old fart and I wanted performance, comfort and ease of operation...that was the V2 automatic hands down.

One of us has our wires crossed, Professor Roy, I prefer the auto for the Jr. & Sr. high schools so I can keep my hands free.......Oops, wrong forum, my bad.

Prof
04-23-10, 08:58 AM
Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? :ill: Chester...

I was trying to be funny, obviously I offended you...or is your "Chester" a pseudonym, and a continuation of the humor?

If I offended, I apologize. Intonation and sarcasm is so hard to convey via the keyboard. Looked for a "tongue in cheek" smile...without success.

Then again...well that also as Gary said is for another forum or at least another thread!

DiamondWhtV
04-23-10, 10:42 AM
Don't worry Prof....I caught the humor...and had a great come back that I was going to post...but thought the best of it since I am a new kid here...lol

Prof
04-23-10, 10:59 AM
I have a feeling we are of the same mind...hehehe...

wfo
04-23-10, 11:02 AM
I love my auto...after the 08 Z06, which I really enjoyed. That was then in that time in my life. When and if the new Z07 comes out well, that's where I'll have another. But this sports sedan monster/beast in my life is best served with the auto. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Stealth, reliable and relaxing. It goes fast and hard when I need it.

Vrocks
04-23-10, 11:08 AM

Tony
Maybe it wasn't the actual driveshaft (I don't remember which one it was) but I do remember reading an article stating a shaft would be rotating to quickly with the auto - I guess it isn't balanced well enough.

I just read a post above... so it sounds like it's the clutch basket. I think Jesse has removed the limiter on some autos or atleast raised it - or maybe I'm confusing that with him raising the rev limiter.

Are the auto Vettes limited too?

Gotham CTS-V
04-23-10, 11:40 AM
I haven't gone over 170 with this car so I'm not sure of the high speed capabilities, but I did hear about guys out in the Middle East who took their modded CTS-V autos into the 190's+...any video proof of this?

tedcmiller
04-23-10, 01:42 PM
An older guy talking about "Cruising around the Jr. High Schools..." is very suspect, humor intended or not.

Tony407
04-23-10, 03:29 PM
An older guy talking about "Cruising around the Jr. High Schools..." is very suspect, humor intended or not.

Surely, choosing an automatic so you can have a free hand while you're cruising around the junior high schools would trump that, now wouldn't it? Geesh.

Tony

GMX322V S/C
04-23-10, 04:50 PM
I ordered my car sight unseen in October of 2008. I picked all of my options within minutes (ThunderGray, loaded, sunroof delete)--except for the transmission. I agonized over it for two weeks, but in the end, my rationale came down to many things already mentioned in this thread: daily driver (at least when I'm actually at home) in traffic, have other manual trans fun car, auto is quicker and has advanced modes, others in family can help drive on long trips, etc. To me it's a Grand Touring car, not a sports car--a true bimodal bullet, so the auto just fits better. For me.

...When are you going to have the Cad out where I can see it?Lately, I've barely been able to see her--just got back from a 3-week overseas business trip. However, if she should develop the dreaded isolator rattle, I'll have D3 replace it and, well, you know, "if they're going to be in there anyway, I might as well have them..." :lildevil:

So if she ends up back at D3 any time soon or I can knock off at a decent hour on a Friday to make a Cars n Coffee down in Irvine early on Saturday, I'll let you know.

Karch
04-23-10, 06:34 PM
Lately, I've barely been able to see her--just got back from a 3-week overseas business trip. However, if she should develop the dreaded isolator rattle, I'll have D3 replace it and, well, you know, "if they're going to be in there anyway, I might as well have them..." :lildevil:

So if she ends up back at D3 any time soon or I can knock off at a decent hour on a Friday to make a Cars n Coffee down in Irvine early on Saturday, I'll let you know.

If you need anyone to go by and check on that rattle for you, just let me know. :cool2:

lawnstripes
04-23-10, 11:07 PM
my wife wanted an auto to travel back and forth to work...... so auto it was

JBsZ06
04-25-10, 07:41 AM
Been driving manuals for over a decade in my vettes....I test drove the CTS V automatic and my next ride will definitely be the automatic..

The fact that the cts v that lapped the "ring" faster than any previous four door sedan was an automatic says enough about the car.

Get the automatic transmission in the v...

The technology in GM's automatic for the CTS V is amazing.

Luxury and speed all in the same package.

gotta love it.

Gary Wells
04-25-10, 09:12 AM

Ted:
The last thing that I would want in life is to wake up next to a female version of myself.
Now...that being said, I was and am only kidding, and I would bet that the Professor was only kidding too. Loosen up your garters a notch, huh?
J/K, Ted, I'm only a Chester in jester. Hey, that was good. Sorry for the thread Bogart, back to our normal scheduled program.

Prof
04-25-10, 09:25 AM

"Methinks he doth protesteth too much."

I respect your opinion, I just think you need to loosen up a bit...but the "garter" comment was pretty cute!

garfin
04-25-10, 11:00 AM
Maybe it wasn't the actual driveshaft (I don't remember which one it was) but I do remember reading an article stating a shaft would be rotating to quickly with the auto - I guess it isn't balanced well enough.

I just read a post above... so it sounds like it's the clutch basket. I think Jesse has removed the limiter on some autos or atleast raised it - or maybe I'm confusing that with him raising the rev limiter.

Are the auto Vettes limited too?

I believe the reference was to the automatic transmission's input shaft.

Best regards,

Elie

Tony407
04-25-10, 04:08 PM
The technology in GM's automatic for the CTS V is amazing.

Ironically, the slowness and laziness of the auto was my first (and biggest) gripe about the V. It wasn't too long before I was compelled to get Wait4Me's tune to do something about it. The OEM calibration of the automatic was quite pathetic, and I'm sure a great many others around here are likely to agree.

Someone else on this thread commented that it's a shame that auto owners need to get a tune in order to enjoy their automatics. Unfortunately, I have to agree with them 100%.

Tony

IBNR
04-25-10, 05:07 PM
What does the W4M auto transmission tune actually do? And I assume the same warranty caveats apply, etc.

Gary Wells
04-25-10, 05:15 PM
1 of the improvements of TCM's is to increase the line pressure, and I am sure just as in everything else, warranty disclaimers abound.

Tony407
04-25-10, 05:26 PM
What does the W4M auto transmission tune actually do? And I assume the same warranty caveats apply, etc.

The firmness of the shifts are vastly improved, and the sluggish downshifts are completely eliminated resulting in RIGHT NOW downshifts as soon as you get on the throttle. Majorly major improvement. LOL If there are other technical things at play, then they're above my level of knowledge.

Tony

IBNR
04-25-10, 06:24 PM
Sounds great, but it's another thing that'll have to wait. I'm just not willing to endanger the warranty on this car at this point! But it's nice to know it's there when the time is right.