: What to do?

mact/a80
04-21-10, 11:43 PM
Ooook so I've read about all of the potential issues with the V, and I'm pretty much on the fence about wether I should get on or not. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about the V and realize any car will have a few issues here and there, but from what I've read it sounds like there are more than just a few problems to expect, and none of them sound cheap. I want a car that I can just drive every day with the power to wax just about anything out there without having to throw money at anything but the gas tank. Now I know you are all biased as I would be too, but are the issues I've read about a characteristic of every V or just rants from the few people that have had these problems? Just trying to make the best decision and not be sorry for it (I've been sorry before and it was costly) like I said I'm not knocking the V at all so no one get upset about this post. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

heavymetals
04-22-10, 12:35 AM
You are going to be the only one to judge whether you made the right decision or not.

Most owners that are here are pretty happy with the car, new or used.

The ones that weren't, sold it and moved on.

The V1 is OBSOLETE but a modders wet dream.

dfoster154
04-22-10, 12:43 AM
Do it... expect a problem or two and plan for it. You will be happy you did (both with the car and expectations you have set). My remaining warranty has saved me from big costs, and I can do work myself too. If you have no problem turning a wrench, get the car. It is a BLAST.

jeffthenail
04-22-10, 12:51 AM
I am currently in the process of jumping off the fence and I have heard all the cons regarding the V. I have also had cars that wax a V but have nowhere near the comfort or pleasure in driving or actual reliability. What other vehicle would you buy?? I can't think of anything that is as nice a car with this kind of performance that is anywhere near this price point. Even a V2 is far and away better than almost anything near it's price range. What to Do?? Come on, buy friggin V!!!

jeffthenail
04-22-10, 12:57 AM
Me again. What almost everyone forgets is that the V was designed and built as a LUXURY Car with awesome performance. I would bet that most of the issues pointed out on this forum would be NON issues if these cars were driven as LUXURY cars and not the High Performance cars that we all want. If you wanna play,You gotta pay. If you drive nicely you probably won't have many of these problems.
Remember, Buy a Friggin V!!

mact/a80
04-22-10, 01:04 AM
Lol I guess I'm reading too much into this but it comes down to my hard earned cash in the end, plus I've got my 80 trans am sitting in the garage and she needs some parts every now and then too. But you are all right about the bang for the buck aspect, definately couldn't find anything else comparable for the price! What I'm most concerned with is the motor mounts, how hard are these to change?? I know a good rear end guy so not worried about that so much, just as long as the tranny stays quiet and smooth I'll be happy!

heavymetals
04-22-10, 02:35 AM
You are no different then anybody else.

They put their "hard earned cash" into this addiction also.

For the better or worse of it.

The one thing that I will tell you is that NOTHING COMPARES to the expression on someones face when they find out what the car is, and what it is capable of.

PRICELESS. :thumbsup:

Baltimore07V
04-22-10, 03:36 AM
Ooook so I've read about all of the potential issues with the V, and I'm pretty much on the fence about wether I should get on or not. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about the V and realize any car will have a few issues here and there, but from what I've read it sounds like there are more than just a few problems to expect, and none of them sound cheap. I want a car that I can just drive every day with the power to wax just about anything out there without having to throw money at anything but the gas tank. Now I know you are all biased as I would be too, but are the issues I've read about a characteristic of every V or just rants from the few people that have had these problems? Just trying to make the best decision and not be sorry for it (I've been sorry before and it was costly) like I said I'm not knocking the V at all so no one get upset about this post. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

If you want a car you can drive around, do your oil changes and put gas in the gas tank, buy a used '05 Ford Escape with the V6. Not trying to be funny, but those are reliable as hell.

In the realm of high powered cars, if you want something thats easy to work on, fast, comfortable, and a blast to drive. Buy a V.

Its your hard earned money. Do you want to enjoy it? Or do you want to play it safe and drive a boring underpowered car?

V's are performance sedans, they have performance parts, and drive like the car has a heart beat and a soul. Its why we are passionate about them. These parts are not cheap, and the harder you drive, the more often you have to work on the car.

But if your concerned about MPG's, cost of replacement brakes/pads/tires, then this is probably not your car.

However, if your looking for a performance sedan, these V's are the way to go. For me, the juice has been worth the squeeze.

Also, go drive one. :thumbsup:

heavymetals
04-22-10, 03:47 AM
"Go drive one, and then try to convince yourself you don't want it."

HM

mact/a80
04-22-10, 09:12 AM
Thanx for all the replies everyone! I know I need to drive one and have been wanting too BAD! Just haven't had time and the few I'm looking at are hours away. Turning wrenches is no problem for me, I've saved a ton of money doing things myself on my 80 T/A, just got done putting energy suspension bushings,ball joints, and tie rods on the front end, took me 2 weeks of waiting for parts but probly saved 600 bucks in labor. Of course my t/a and the V are from diffrent eras but all the general parts are upgraded but the same to some extent. I know it's all in the test drive, I know what to listen and look for now thanx to everyone on here, so wish me luck!

JD03Cobra
04-22-10, 09:48 AM
The first V I drove I purchased the next day. Never been so happy with a cool car! And yes, the looks I get from everyone is priceless thanks to Kooks. Good luck...you won't be disappointed.

Baltimore07V
04-22-10, 11:54 AM
Thanx for all the replies everyone! I know I need to drive one and have been wanting too BAD! Just haven't had time and the few I'm looking at are hours away. Turning wrenches is no problem for me, I've saved a ton of money doing things myself on my 80 T/A, just got done putting energy suspension bushings,ball joints, and tie rods on the front end, took me 2 weeks of waiting for parts but probly saved 600 bucks in labor. Of course my t/a and the V are from diffrent eras but all the general parts are upgraded but the same to some extent. I know it's all in the test drive, I know what to listen and look for now thanx to everyone on here, so wish me luck!

I drove one, and bought it same day. If you can turn a wrench, then you have no worries about costs of maintaining this car. Especially since you have the tools (biggest up front cost of maintaining a car).

Once you drive it, just remember to put up pictures of your new car.

mact/a80
04-22-10, 01:13 PM
how about changing the motor mounts? has anyone attempted this themselves? Do you need a cherry picker or is there a solid place to jack it up from underneath? i have access to a picker so no biggie there, just wondering if i have to fork out 500 bucks to a garage each time they need changed. Also the upper and LCA bushings, do these often take a shit too? BTW i've searched through many pages of threads and could find one about either of these issues so thats why i ask.

Thanx

heavymetals
04-22-10, 02:13 PM
A lot of guys have changed their mounts (motor that is) :canttalk:

ALEVE is your friend.......

yooper
04-22-10, 03:28 PM
Been right where you are. Did about a years research on the corvette forums and decided to buy the best 2004 Z06 vette I could find. It fit my requirements of decent mileage for road trips, perfect road course car, and fantastic aftermarket availability and I can do the work on it; it's a chevy.

My brother bought a 2008 vette and was kind enough to let me take it on a 10 hour trip. Thank God I didn't buy a vette. They are nice cars, but I could not take more than two hours at a time. Guys on the vette forum were talking about the new CTS-V which brought me to this forum and after driving the new version(very nice car but too much bling for me) I researched the 04 thru 07 models and bought the third car that I drove.

I bought an 04 with 50000 miles and no warranty at a fair price. Now, I could have bought newer with lower miles and warranty, but this car will sit in a snow covered garage for a minimum of five mths every year. Plus I have money left over to upgrade it to fit my needs.

IMHO the first thing to do is drive one (preferable stock) and decide for yourself.

If I get the newest style rear diff w/AFTERMARKET bushing, cradle bushings, axles, clutch/flywheel, short throw shifter, motor/trans mounts installed in time to do the Hot Rod Power Tour ; drive over to one of the stops with your Trans Am and you can drive my car.:D:yup:

I haven't twisted wrenches for years so I picked up a service manual for the car and a number of members have done write ups on just about everything you could need to do plus one member is like a walking encyclopedia if you don't find it with the search function.

onebadcad
04-22-10, 04:29 PM
Use the analytical approach, make a list of other cars you are considering, create a scale 1 to 10 on what's important to you, weight the items, figure purchase price plus 'must have' mods and fuel costs.

Not really sure what could compare, yeah we are all V-biased, but driving one usually makes you a fan. The V ain't perfect, but given the deals that can be had on used ones, hard pressed to think of another car that can provide the comforts and performance of a V. The rear-ends is the biggest issue, the other inconveniences can be ignored, well except for the shifter, and the wheel-hop.