: Shifter Issue

cts-v avino
04-21-10, 09:44 PM
I modified my shifter to a 65 mm length from the ball to the center of the linkage. And with this length the shifter rod is just hitting the drive shaft coupler. Has any one else had an issue like this with there modified shifter or aftermarket? I was going to trim it down to 55-60 but first wanted to see if anyone else had issues. Right now the transmission is out at the dealer so it will be a good time to figure it out and change it. The only thing I can think of is the bend isn't enough in my shifter rod. Any other thoughts?

wcryan
04-21-10, 09:49 PM
I know the exact person that can answer this, He will be with you shortly.

PISNUOFF
04-22-10, 06:55 AM
Here I am. Yes they hit if you extend it too long. I can't remember the exact length from pivot ball to linkage pivot, but the additional length you want to add is about 25 mm at most. If you have a UUC trans mount, even the 25 mm will make it hit. I make a plate that will raise the pivot point up into the console, but it requires a slight modification to the plastic hold down plate. Feel free to PM me if you want a more in-depth explanation.

I'm on vacation right now so I can't measure the distance that I modify them to.

cts-v avino
04-22-10, 12:16 PM
I just measeured the piece I added and it is 25.5mm so a little to long. I did just what you said and added a .2" plate to raise the ball and it helped some. I think I am going to take off about .25" or 6.4 mm It just won't be as nice of a short shift. I am pretty sure the trans mount is stock.

POS VETT
04-22-10, 12:50 PM
If you want a very short shifter, remove the upper part of the stalk. Make sure you have the length below the fulcrum lengthened otherwise the shifter will tend to pinch fingers at odd gears.

maxspeed96ct
04-24-10, 05:04 PM
So here I go to bring back a old thread.

Anyone here try to modify the middle/main linkage bar? If you move the 45 degree down alittle closer to the shifter it wont hit the coupler...

PISNUOFF
04-25-10, 05:43 PM
I just measeured the piece I added and it is 25.5mm so a little to long. I did just what you said and added a .2" plate to raise the ball and it helped some. I think I am going to take off about .25" or 6.4 mm It just won't be as nice of a short shift. I am pretty sure the trans mount is stock.

25.5 mm is just about perfect with the stock trans mount. If you add a spacer between the linkage plate and the pivot hold down assembly, you have to notch out the large plastic hold down to allow the whole assembly to raise up into it. If you don't, it will go back down to the original position.