: Remote Start Quit

demorgan59
04-21-10, 10:20 AM
I've tried it several times over the last few days and it won't remote start. I had a bunch of work done by Jesse and I know it worked several times after that, because I started it when I got home standing at the back to hear the exhaust.:bouncy:
Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

wait4me
04-21-10, 10:22 AM
You have a code pending or a service engine light about to turn on or already on. Probably. Where you the one that had the front 02 sensor not switching code from headers??

demorgan59
04-21-10, 10:40 AM
Yeah CEL is on. It's an 02 switching error due to the headers. Can't remember the code numbers.

Superjim
04-21-10, 10:47 AM
Anytime the CEL is on... the remote start "WILL NOT" work.

cbloveday
04-21-10, 01:15 PM
You have a code pending or a service engine light about to turn on or already on. Probably. Where you the one that had the front 02 sensor not switching code from headers??

I have the cel too! About every 400 or so miles. Can we program it so it does not come on? Does it require turning off the sensors?

Caroutisine
04-21-10, 02:15 PM
It also will not start if the hood is open.

demorgan59
04-21-10, 02:30 PM
I have the cel too! About every 400 or so miles. Can we program it so it does not come on? Does it require turning off the sensors?

I think you have to turn them off. But then how does the engine run without the feedback from them? I need to get more info on what our options are. I get a CEL after about 50 miles - I have a '10 - don't know if that makes a difference.

Vlakaz
04-21-10, 03:51 PM
It also will not start if the hood is open.

I did not know that. :thumbsup:

Stumeat
04-21-10, 04:30 PM
Must be an AUTO tranny thing! :stirpot:

Actually, I wish I could have a remote start as well...

Doct
04-21-10, 06:18 PM
Correct, when you have a cel light on remote start won't work. You have 4 o2 sensors and you have to turn off the back 2.

wait4me
04-21-10, 07:50 PM
The code the cars are throwing are for FRONT O2 SENSOR not sufficient switching. It has nothing to do with the tune or even shutting the codes off. IF you shut that off, it will make the car not go into full closed loop on that e67 computer.
That is why i dont shut them off..

demorgan59
04-21-10, 08:20 PM
Is there any programming solution so that it doesn't throw a code with these headers or are stock manifolds and cats the only way to eliminate this problem? You mentioned something about the way the computer reads the flow and knows what cylinder it is reading. Are headers never going to be able to match up with the computer?

I'm thinking I'm making more than enough power, so I may have to put the stock manifolds back on so I have no issues like this. The biggest drawback to this is I love the sound with headers.

demorgan59
04-21-10, 08:26 PM
Just cleared the code (P1153) and the remote start works.

cbloveday
04-21-10, 08:55 PM
P1153 is the cel from hel. :(

Gotham CTS-V
04-22-10, 04:13 PM
Maybe you guys can look into getting an 02 "simulator." I was browsing the Porsche forums and found that some guys with aftermarket headers on the Porsche Turbos used these simulators that tricks the O2 sensor into thinking that the levels are fine. It requires no programming. I'm not sure of the company or who to get them from, I just read about it...hope it works out for you guys.

DiamondWhtV
04-22-10, 04:29 PM
On the Dodge Hemi I had...the simulator is nothing but the old spark plug anit-foulers that you get from the local auto store. This is the spacer that moved the plug out of the combustion area and kept the spark plug from fouling on an oil burner. The trick is you drill out the bottom so the 02 will thread into the anti-fouling adapter. This moves the 02 sensor out of the direct exhaust stream so it measures different than the front 02. It worked on the Hemi...but don't know if it would work on this engine.

Q8 6.2
04-23-10, 01:30 PM
that is very weird..... its easy to tune p1153 sensor 1 to not trigger a MIL for ever.. you DO NOT need to turn off that sensor...

to turn off the sensor is a totally different parameter in our E67 pcm..

what tuning device are you guys using??? are you using SCT???? i think maybe its a less powerful and has less parameters to edit than HPTUNERS and EFILIVE..

demorgan59
04-23-10, 05:31 PM
We're using the SCT handheld, but I'm pretty sure Jesse uses EFI Live. He knows about the issue and I think he would "tune" it out if he could, because he has done several cars with the late version AR headers.

LITTLEELVISDAN
04-23-10, 05:53 PM
I had a code issue with a random O2 sensor running CAT bypass pipes (test pipes) in my S2000. We solved the problem by using washers as spacers on the 02 sensor. Depending on the nipple of the pipe we would have to add 2 or 3 washers to get the sensor further away from the main exhaust flow.

Don't know if its the same issue here... Just a thought.. Sensor could be either too far away for too close to the exhaust...

wait4me
04-23-10, 06:02 PM
You guys are missing the point here. IT IS THE FRONT O2 SENSORS that are throwing the codes. NOT THE REARS. If you turn off the FRONT o2 sensors, then it wont go into full closed loop fuel control. If you shut off the invalid switching code, it goes into a partial closed loop state only.

I dont care about the rear o2s, but the front ones you cant and shouldnt have to shut off.

demorgan59
04-23-10, 06:10 PM
So the only solution is to shut off the switching code or is there any other tuning solution? I just want to know if a CEL goes with the headers so I can decide whether or not it would be best for ME to go back to stock manifolds.

LITTLEELVISDAN
04-23-10, 06:27 PM
It's free to try a washer as a spacer... Can't hurt....

wait4me
04-23-10, 10:46 PM
Putting in a spacer will reduce the switching of the o2 sensor even more so that will not work.

The problem lies in the placement of the o2 bung. In the stock manifold, the exhaust streams of ALL 4 cyl flow right thru the sensor. In the headers it only sees 2. So the computer when it samples it with the E67 computer type, it sees those missing and thinks it isnt working correctly. When i have placed the o2 sensor back a foot from the original i have gotten rid of that issue. On the older computer types this isnt a problem with headers. It is only on the newer e67 type so far.

cbloveday
04-24-10, 12:20 AM
I was getting codes like clockwork every 400 miles. It had been 500 since my last cel. Got my fingers crossed :)

LITTLEELVISDAN
04-24-10, 12:45 AM
Putting in a spacer will reduce the switching of the o2 sensor even more so that will not work.

The problem lies in the placement of the o2 bung. In the stock manifold, the exhaust streams of ALL 4 cyl flow right thru the sensor. In the headers it only sees 2. So the computer when it samples it with the E67 computer type, it sees those missing and thinks it isnt working correctly. When i have placed the o2 sensor back a foot from the original i have gotten rid of that issue. On the older computer types this isnt a problem with headers. It is only on the newer e67 type so far.
Gotcha!!! so so the sensor isn't seeing enough to sample correctly.. How long is the bung? Can it be ground down to move the o2 sensor closer to the flow?

Q8 6.2
04-24-10, 09:48 AM
We're using the SCT handheld, but I'm pretty sure Jesse uses EFI Live. He knows about the issue and I think he would "tune" it out if he could, because he has done several cars with the late version AR headers.

im sure W4ME is one of the best i just feel SCT is a less powerful tool for our cars..... they say on there website they dont support E67 pcm??

see if others with LT headers who tuned with EFILIVE or HPTUNERS are getting this code.

i have been using EFILIVE for 6 years now and i have the option to tell the PCM to not report p1153 if i want to.

demorgan59
04-24-10, 11:25 AM
I was getting codes like clockwork every 400 miles. It had been 500 since my last cel. Got my fingers crossed :)

Did you change the 02 position?

cbloveday
04-24-10, 11:57 AM
No. It has not come back. The cels are becoming less frequent over time it seems.

Mike 09 V
04-24-10, 12:45 PM
Just curious-How much if any does the O2 sensor have to do with the AF ratio and does that put the motor in jeapordy because we have an SC motor?